The KVR Audio website is moving to a new server - please expect some disruption to services over the next 24-48 hours.

During the final stages of the transition several services will be disabled on the old server, such as new user registrations, KVR Marketplace transactions, developer admin features, forum search, posting in the forum, etc.

Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

2395 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:54 pm Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

Spectrasonics support for license transfers has always been a very weak point. However for support in general I’ve always found them very quick. Recently I wrote to them regarding Granular engine performance on PCs relative to Macs (woeful) and heard back within a day saying thanks and passed to the development team.

James Barnard lurks these boards - care to pass on if the issue reported in this thread is being worked upon at Spectrasonics Towers?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
Aloysius
KVRAF

21923 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:09 am Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

Yeah. Quick and crap. A quick crap.
I didn't get where I am today.
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

6121 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:26 am Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

noiseboyuk wrote:Spectrasonics support for license transfers has always been a very weak point. However for support in general I’ve always found them very quick. Recently I wrote to them regarding Granular engine performance on PCs relative to Macs (woeful) and heard back within a day saying thanks and passed to the development team.

Granular is worse performance on pc? huh, i use pc and it is insanely high cpu, now i'm jealous of mac users. But how would something like that not get noticed during development?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

Postby noiseboyuk; Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:37 am Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Granular is worse performance on pc? huh, i use pc and it is insanely high cpu, now i'm jealous of mac users. But how would something like that not get noticed during development?

It does beggar belief somewhat eh, but there again I'm not sure how the community hadn't cottoned on before either. Sometimes stuff gets conflated I guess. Anyway, I added the report to this ancient thread - http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=440014 . Can't be sure that this was the root of it all the entire time, but as of the current version its essentially not useable on my i7 4930 - 5 notes of a granular patch will melt the PC, while the macbook pro takes the same patch and just vaguely shrugs.
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:48 am Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

noiseboyuk wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Granular is worse performance on pc? huh, i use pc and it is insanely high cpu, now i'm jealous of mac users. But how would something like that not get noticed during development?

It does beggar belief somewhat eh, but there again I'm not sure how the community hadn't cottoned on before either. Sometimes stuff gets conflated I guess. Anyway, I added the report to this ancient thread - http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=440014 . Can't be sure that this was the root of it all the entire time, but as of the current version its essentially not useable on my i7 4930 - 5 notes of a granular patch will melt the PC, while the macbook pro takes the same patch and just vaguely shrugs.

Well I always just thought the granular was almost unusable polyphonically. They must all be mac users there. I'd sure love it if they focused on getting the PC version to match the mac version.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
GMusic
KVRian

607 posts since 26 May, 2009, from Area 51

Postby GMusic; Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:07 pm Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

Still...no...fix...
househoppin09
KVRist

130 posts since 11 Nov, 2017

Postby househoppin09; Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:00 pm Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

Does anyone know if the issue described in this thread affects Keyscape?
dandezebra
KVRian

630 posts since 21 Dec, 2013, from USA

Postby dandezebra; Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:15 pm Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

Anyone hear anything back from Spectrasonics yet?
GMusic
KVRian

607 posts since 26 May, 2009, from Area 51

Postby GMusic; Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:32 pm Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

What's annoying is I can't find a way to roll back the update. So we're stuck with this. It's not the end of the world, but it is very annoying and something that SHOULD have easily been detected in any proper test of the update before release. It's right there in plainsight when you select any patch. There's nothing hidden or difficult to reproduce about this issue.
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 pm Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

I did hear back from support. Nothing has come of it yet, they just got my specs. I did send them to this thread, indicating that I'm not the only one with the issue, but they say they haven't heard many reports of this. So I hope everyone on this thread experiencing issues is sending in a support request!

By the way, I have noticed that it isn't just patches that take more time to load, it's sound sources as well. I was loading in Trilian/Trilogy synth bass tones in a blank patch in Omnisphere and there was always a delay of a second or two loading each sound source. it actually goes through each phase of waiting, preview, loaded (or whatever the stages are). However I then tried the same thing in Trilian and the same sound sources loaded instantly. Haven't tested Keyscape but it seems Omnisphere is the bad one.

They did say that it was possible to install a legacy version, but didn't yet tell me how. Possibly we can downgrade until they fix it.

EDIT: Just checked Keyscape and it's very slow loading, worse than it used to be. With thinning on and locked, switching a grand piano preset takes about 10 seconds of "please wait" before it even starts loading (red bar), and takes about 30 seconds before I can hear a preview note. Ugh. I compared an electric bass sound source loaded in Trilian and Omnisphere. I'd say it took a third to half the time loaded in Trilian as compared to Omni. Can't load sound sources in Keyscape so couldn't check that but loading presets seems comparable between Omni and Keyscape. Trilian is the only one that seems normal.
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

Postby noiseboyuk; Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:55 am Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

Interesting discovery, Echoes. I've had poor Windows loading performance for some time in Omni. 30s (inc a 5s hang to begin with) to load the upright bass on an i7 4930k from an NVMe vs 7s on a 2015 MBP. I just now compared Trilian and Omni (both latest versions), and Trilian loads the same patch in 10s (these all standalone). So yeah, something really screwy with the Windows version of Omni 2, especially added to the Granular madness. Mac versions seem to be fine, and Trilian seems to be fine.

Have updated my support case with this info.
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:39 am Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

noiseboyuk wrote:Interesting discovery, Echoes. I've had poor Windows loading performance for some time in Omni. 30s (inc a 5s hang to begin with) to load the upright bass on an i7 4930k from an NVMe vs 7s on a 2015 MBP. I just now compared Trilian and Omni (both latest versions), and Trilian loads the same patch in 10s (these all standalone). So yeah, something really screwy with the Windows version of Omni 2, especially added to the Granular madness. Mac versions seem to be fine, and Trilian seems to be fine.

Have updated my support case with this info.

What is also interesting is that to me, loading pianos in keyscape and Omnisphere seem similar in loading times (terrible). Is that what you've found? I get the impression maybe keyscape shares more in common with Omnisphere, like it's a cut down version based on Omni 2? Whereas maybe Trilian would be the older engine based on Omni 1? Don't know just guessing. But it's sad to see the windows version of Omnisphere exhibiting such poor all around performance.

I find it just too annoying to go through different sound sources quickly, even simple synth tones, waiting three or four seconds for one to load whereas they are instant in Trilian.
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

Postby noiseboyuk; Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:26 am Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

I'll do a Keyscape yet next time I've got the studio fired up. However I did just do another test on the MBP for the upright bass patch - 6s on Trilian, 9s on Omnisphere 2. That's a significant difference (1.5x), but nowhere near as big as on Windows (3x).

Logically, I don't really see how Trilian is any different to Omni when it comes to loading samples. The extra synthesis stuff shouldn't make any difference at that point - it's just grabbing stuff from disk, right?
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:36 am Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

Yeah it's weird.

It's just getting better for me. I just loaded Keyscape Grand Piano and it took about 3 minutes. Yikes.
MFXxx
KVRAF

2853 posts since 27 Mar, 2010, from UK

Postby MFXxx; Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:04 am Re: Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

Not looking to derail this thread, but if any Omni users have Trilian and can help me out in this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=501345&p=7029552#p7029552,
appreciated. Thanks.
Image7820x 4.6ghz • 32GB Ram • 1050TI • SSDs & Hybrid Drives • RME FF800 • Adams A7X • Maschine • Analog Keys • Virus TI • JD800 • JV1080 • x0xb0x
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments