Softwaresynth to emulate the Waldorf Q+?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I want to emulate the architecture of the q+. Are there any wavetablesynths with seperat routing outputs?

Waldorf Largo.

Largo comes closer to microQ because you cannot crossfade between serial/parallel filter configuration on it like you can on the Q. There's no plugin that emulates Q+ completely.

https://www.jrrshop.com/terratec-komplexer

And with Audioterm you can make your own wavetables.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

PietW. wrote:https://www.jrrshop.com/terratec-komplexer

LMAO. How can a VST be out of stock?

II have seen it all.

Okay, did some research. Seems the synth is over 10 years old and the company is gone.

Yeah, great recommendation.

I cut my teeth on Waldorf boards. Owned the Q and micro q and XTK. You will have to augment with a killer analog style filter plug to get to Q+ territory, but arcsyn is pretty much a cold stone dead ringer for the micro Q. In fact it’s starting to replace my blofeld.

wagtunes wrote:

Okay, did some research. Seems the synth is over 10 years old and the company is gone.

Hehe. FWIW, the plugin wasn't shipped digitally, only in a box, with a CD copy protection, so, you had to have the CD inserted to use the plugin. The copy protection was so unfortunate that it doesn't work on anything else but Windows XP 32-bit. There are ways to "fake" the OS using a registry hack, but, that lead to my antivirus stopping to work, so, had to warez it to be able to use it (i own the original, and using a no-CD is even legal here in Germany, under some circumstances, so, i figure it's alright). That still works on Windows 10 though, and, the plugin is really great (it is 32-bit only though). Also has that "vintage" Waldorf sound the older hardware synths do have. Largo and Blofeld sound more modern, and more bright.

As you mentioned, the company (Terratec Producer) is out of business, the rights situation of the plugin is totally unclear, and it isn't being sold anymore. Anyway, Largo is quite a good replacement, if you don't want to jump through hoops to use Komplexer. Komplexer also has only 2 wavetables, while Largo has 68, and also offers the wavetables from the Q, PPG Wave, Microwave etc. I don't know the Q first hand, but, i'd guess that Largo is your best bet for now, software wise. Has the wavetables, and has the Waldorf sound.

chk071 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Hehe. FWIW, the plugin wasn't shipped digitally, only in a box, with a CD copy protection, so, you had to have the CD inserted to use the plugin. The copy protection was so unfortunate that it doesn't work on anything else but Windows XP 32-bit. There are ways to "fake" the OS using a registry hack, but, that lead to my antivirus stopping to work, so, had to warez it to be able to use it (i own the original, and using a no-CD is even legal here in Germany, under some circumstances, so, i figure it's alright). That still works on Windows 10 though, and, the plugin is really great (it is 32-bit only though). Also has that "vintage" Waldorf sound the older hardware synths do have. Largo and Blofeld sound more modern, and more bright.

As you mentioned, the company (Terratec Producer) is out of business, the rights situation of the plugin is totally unclear, and it isn't being sold anymore. Anyway, Largo is quite a good replacement, if you don't want to jump through hoops to use Komplexer. Komplexer also has only 2 wavetables, while Largo has 68, and also offers the wavetables from the Q, PPG Wave, Microwave etc. I don't know the Q first hand, but, i'd guess that Largo is your best bet for now, software wise. Has the wavetables, and has the Waldorf sound.
Yeah, Largo sounds great. I just hate the GUI color.

^^^ everything chk says is correct to my experience. I knew all the Waldorf guys went for komplexer. I remember it was pretty buggy though, and intensive. I never bought into komplexer at the time because I was on Mac. Largo and the newer offerings are missing the grit and dynamics of the old boards though. The old boards had this lovely combination of sci fy plastic feel and analog dirt to them. Largo is about the most glassy thing I’ve ever heard. It’s a totally different sound.

Arcsyn has the look, architecture, and feel of the old Waldorf boards, and it makes the same sounds. It’s a time warp back to the micro q days. I’m hooked.

: Fixed spelling. I swear I’m about throw anything with a spellcheck attached to it right out of my car window!

Like pointed out above, Komplexer is probably closest and it can even import MicroQ sounds, but it has its share of issues. It's 32bit only and the only version working on modern systems is the cracked one.

When I went fully 64bit Komplexer was replaced in my setup with Hybrid3. I think they have kind of similar bright and air-y sound. Though Komplexer could also pull off competently fat analogue sounds.
No signature here!

Dasheesh wrote:I knew all the Waldorf guys went for komplexer. I remember it was pretty buggy though, and intensive.
It definitely has some bugs. I think the Macro knobs also only work with the 1.0.3.0 update, or so. And, there have been one or two occasions where the LFO's stopped working for me also. I wouldn't recommend to buy it nowadays. I bought it years ago from an austrian site, when it was offered for 30 € (i think).

What i noticed was that you can make Largo sound closer to the older Waldorf stuff by simply applying a high cut. It gets more of that "airy" vibe then.

“Airy is a good way of putting it. The Waldorf sound is hard to pin down. Totally unique. I’ve always thought of it has the sound of stretching melted plastic. It was sort of hollow, but fully digital, but organic at the same time.

The examples I’ve heard of the Modal boards seem to come really, really close. Maybe one day I’ll have the space and play cash to get one. I’ll bet the Modal 008 and the new Waldorf quantum would be a spine tingling combo stacked in each other!

I meant was that i take a wavetablesynth which Voices could be spread and send them in seperatly into different NI Driver´s for exsample. Each Driver has a little difference setting but with a global filter control.

This is an awesome synth, if you can get hold of it.

Having both I prefer it to Largo
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Instruments”