Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hag01 wrote:Having a DX7, a MiniMoog, a Jupiter 8, on my PC, is very tempting
Just for curiosity, do you need an FM, (virtual)analog mono and -polysynth.. Or do you look for exact emulations for exact sounds? Just asking since if you only need FM but no need for DX7, you could grab something more useful than.. DX7.

Actually you could grab yourself a Volca FM.. That thing is a beast :tu:

AnX wrote: They are prob 65% accurate max.
You are prob LESS THAN 65% accurate in that appreciation.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Distorted Horizon wrote:Actually you could grab yourself a Volca FM.. That thing is a beast :tu:
First, you say he could grab something more useful than a DX7. Then your advice is for a three-voice hardware desktop device that emulates... a DX7. And that has no editing controls AT ALL, besides a pair of knobs labeled carrier and modulator (which carrier? which modulator?) :dog:

The usual KVR nonsense :roll:

Do you KNOW, or have actually check what the DX7 V is? Because, despite fully emulating the DX7, it goes way beyond it in terms of FM capabilities. And you have a friendly editing environment. There is no way you can compare it with the Volca.
Fernando (FMR)

:oops:

Okay.. I meant generally, Arturia stuff IMO isn't too.. u know. Accurate.

That DX7 V thingy I've missed completely, aaaand I accidentally mixed it to some other.. ( :oops: again).

So I have no opinion about Arturias DX7 V :lol: But that Jupiter really sucks.

Well a good instrument but not a Jupiter.

I find Arturia's VA's pretty unconvincing in isolation - but in a mix and/or with a decent effects chain then they may be "good enough".

Personally I want something that sounds/feels analog and is roughly in the ballpark of the hardware spec more than I want it to be closer to the hardware spec but less convincing at doing analog - so I'd take something like P900 over the entire bag of arturia VAs.

Your mileage may vary and all that :)

I got the free Arturia Minimoog, something 'V' they gave a few years ago. I trotted it out a couple of times. It sounded pretty good and pretty like a Minimoog. It wasn't ideal and I personally find NI Monark kicking its ass down the road a ways. Yes, I have used real Minimoogs (two, one extensively) in my life.

as to the word 'accurate', it has this whole identity around these parts and people that really care about things I won't ever bother with. That thing is probably not the droids you were looking for if that's uber crucial.

The newer emulations are more accurate, the old ones (Jupiter, minimoog) are less accurate.

Distorted Horizon wrote::oops:

Okay.. I meant generally, Arturia stuff IMO isn't too.. u know. Accurate.

That DX7 V thingy I've missed completely, aaaand I accidentally mixed it to some other.. ( :oops: again).

So I have no opinion about Arturias DX7 V :lol: But that Jupiter really sucks.
You don't have an opinion, but you expressed one. :roll: Another fail

And your opinion regarding the Jup-8 V is based on what? Did you ever even saw a Jupiter-8? Did you ever made a 1:1 comparison? When I just stated that I have the Roland and the Arturia versions, and I can make them sound pretty much the same when recreating the original Jupiter-8 factory sounds, in what exactly do you base your "accurate" opinion to say it sucks?
Fernando (FMR)

OneOfManyPauls wrote:I find Arturia's VA's pretty unconvincing in isolation - but in a mix and/or with a decent effects chain then they may be "good enough".

Personally I want something that sounds/feels analog and is roughly in the ballpark of the hardware spec more than I want it to be closer to the hardware spec but less convincing at doing analog - so I'd take something like P900 over the entire bag of arturia VAs.

What vintage hardware does P900 emulate?

waltercruz wrote:The newer emulations are more accurate, the old ones (Jupiter, minimoog) are less accurate.
When I pick a patch sheet, copy the parameters, and the result is close enough to be identifiable as the same sound, I'd say it is accurate.

Now, in a lab test, using spectrometers and tools like those, and exhaustive frequency analysis, one will probably find some inaccuracies, esdpecially when we expose the filters to extreme modulations. There are some inaccuracies in the Jup-8 V modelization (acknowledged). But they aren't enough to say it "sucks", especially when I find inaccuracies in all the other emulations too.

If someone says they like the sound of A, B or C more, I have nothing to object. As I said, no matter how revered the Mini is, currently I wouldn't pick one. Therefore, i don't value its emulation that much either. I look more for something in the vein of a Matrix-12, a Korg PS series, or an Alesis Andromeda. But say that something "sucks" without any objective reasons to support that is just plainly stupid.
Fernando (FMR)

hag01 wrote:
OneOfManyPauls wrote:I find Arturia's VA's pretty unconvincing in isolation - but in a mix and/or with a decent effects chain then they may be "good enough".

What vintage hardware does P900 emulate?
It is based on the old Moog modules, but is just Mac and just AU (which means 75% to 80% of the market is excluded). Development is also abandoned, AFAIK. Anyway, the developer reached a dead end, in the sense he cannot free himself from the "Apple jail".
Last edited by fmr on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
waltercruz wrote:The newer emulations are more accurate, the old ones (Jupiter, minimoog) are less accurate.
When I pick a patch sheet, copy the parameters, and the result is close enough to be identifiable as the same sound, I'd say it is accurate.

Now, in a lab test, using spectrometers and tools like those, and exhaustive frequency analysis, one will probably find some inaccuracies, esdpecially when we expose the filters to extreme modulations. There are some inaccuracies in the Jup-8 V modelization (acknowledged). But they aren't enough to say it "sucks", especially when I find inaccuracies in all the other emulations too.
Yes! They're accurate enough to have fun, and an excellent bang for the buck.

I never liked the sound quality of any of the Arturia synths.. yet I love the sound of most of the real things they are trying to emulate (some based on raw samples, some I've either owned (DX7) or used quite a bit).

So in my opinion: No. They aren't all that accurate and all seem to have some issues with aliasing/mid-forward buildup of frequencies that are annoying.

I don't know why but there's a sort of "Arturia" sound to the whole lot I just can't put my finger on. Probably placebo on my part but I'll still mention it.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”