Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dasheesh wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Has anyone ever heard a CS-80 bone dry? I have, in person. It sounded like total crap. It was the thinnest sounding piece of garbage I'd ever heard in my life back in the 80s. I never understood people's fascination with the synth.
25 yrs. from now, no one is going to give a doo doo about blade runner2 soundtrack FYI. It sounds like doo doo.
I don't agree, it's an ambient masterpiece.
It's good that they decided not to do a blatant Vangelis rip-off.

Ed A. wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Has anyone ever heard a CS-80 bone dry? I have, in person. It sounded like total crap. It was the thinnest sounding piece of garbage I'd ever heard in my life back in the 80s. I never understood people's fascination with the synth.
25 yrs. from now, no one is going to give a doo doo about blade runner2 soundtrack FYI. It sounds like doo doo.

It's so harsh you need earplugs... nothing new.

Hollywood has been hard to listen to recently. ear piercing, digital, mostly prefabbed samples and risers... predictable.. blah, blah, blah.... same old, same old...The saw on that bladerunner 2 was so distorted and harsh my ears bled.

In fact, I'm going to take my opportunity... if you are involved in Hollywood scores... TURN IT THE f**k DOWN! I can't even go to the movies now.

Unlocking the sound design in 'Blade Runner 2049'.

https://www.waves.com/sound-design-blad ... rs-march-2
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:Unlocking the sound design in 'Blade Runner 2049'.

https://www.waves.com/sound-design-blad ... rs-march-2

Nice sales article. What it tells me is this Mark Mangin is the guy that killed it.

And waves plugins.

Yay, 20 pages! Congrats - keep on trucking everyone, see you at 50!

(I’ve been trying to think of a more KVR-baiting thread title than this, but haven’t come up with anything. I really think this is The One).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:Yay, 20 pages! Congrats - keep on trucking everyone, see you at 50!

(I’ve been trying to think of a more KVR-baiting thread title than this, but haven’t come up with anything. I really think this is The One).
Ha! Maybe try one about the accuracy of Syntronik vs. the actual hardware? :lol:

Ed A. wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:
In the theatre I went to to see it the soundtrack destroyed the speakers at at least 6 times during the movie. Badly recorded, horribly mastered. There are moments but overall total garbage compared to the original.

Then I heard it all "FX'd up" and it was a different beast altogether.

One of the reasons why I hated synths back in the 70s and 80s, even though like a drug addict I bought so many of them, is because I owned no FX and they all sounded like crap. I didn't realize you needed to pump these things with tons of gear in order to make them sound great.

That's why when people start ragging on today's "emulations" not being up to par with the originals, I can't help but laugh. The originals sucked. Almost every last one of them. In fact, the first synth i ever heard that I really thought had some serious balls was the Oberheim 4 Voice. But I didn't have $3,995 to afford one. After that, I managed to get an Oberheim Matrix 6R for $600 that I also thought sounded great. It had a nice fat sound that no other synth had. And that was bone dry. Other than that, the closest any synth ever came to sounding good dry was the Polymoog.

That's why, growing up with this stuff and spending way too much money on it, including my CS-60 that I don't know how the f**k I got up the stairs, I never understood the fascination that people have with old gear.

It was crap.
Completely disagree. Yes, plug ins allow for as many FX as you want on a synth, this is pretty cool. No, old analogs are not crap compared to soft synths.

The biggest elephant in the room is exactly the same as it ever was, soft synths tend to alias in a way that isn't pleasant. I can't get a bad tone out of the Memorymoog and Xpander, boring maybe, but nothing sounds like digital garbage. Both of those synths I use on the regular with nothing more than a little reverb or chorus at most, a lot of the time they sit bone dry. Granted those are two of the beefiest old poly analogs, but the point is clear, if you know what you're doing you get unique sounds out of hardware.

The same is true for software of course, and I use a lot of soft synths, not knocking them. I will flat out say this though, if you couldn't get a good sound out of the CS80 it wasn't the synth that was the problem. Yamaha IMO always has had a 'clean' analog sound, i.e. thin with just an oscillator and an open filter setting etc. but that's not the reason it's an iconic synth, it's the poly afterouch, pitch strip, ring mod, and the way they set up the routing. It's why to me one of my favorite Arturia synths is the CS80V, it's very arguably thinner sounding than the original, but the set up is the main greatness of the original to begin with.

machinesworking wrote:
Ed A. wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:
In the theatre I went to to see it the soundtrack destroyed the speakers at at least 6 times during the movie. Badly recorded, horribly mastered. There are moments but overall total garbage compared to the original.
So because you saw it at a theater with a subpar soundsystem with the speakers blowing up 6 times, it's the fault of the music? If the sound system sucks, then how do know it's "badly recorded, horribly mastered"? I heard it on my monitors and it sounded great, the soundtrack added a lot to the feel of the movie.
And if there are "moments" where it's good, then how can it be "total garbage" ? You're a better judge than Hans Zimmer and the entire audio production crew for the film? That's the epitome of arrogance.

himalaya wrote:I hear sonic bliss. The album below is an example of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc6uG7jIJAE
Had never heard this, very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting!
A well-behaved signature.

machinesworking wrote:
Here's a thought. Maybe the sound system in that theater sucked?

meh.
Last edited by cthonophonic on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”