One Synth Challenge #109: Fathom Synth by Seaweed Audio (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

generaldiomedes wrote:
bjporter wrote:FYI I don't think we need to put any rules restrictions on this month.

Have fun! :party: :party:
Yeah .. would like a bit of clarification on this .. do you truly mean no rule restrictions whatsoever?
I'm pretty confident he means no *extra* restrictions - like not using single cycles is OK. I don't think it means that the usual rules don't apply - just that you can use all the features of this synth without restriction.

The reason I think this is that I asked Bj in a PM to clarify to the group if there were any restrictions around samples etc used in the synth, following on from Thorn and Diodow...

Not seeing where to load custom samples, just wavetables? If so I'm a-ok with loading custom wavetables or waves.

zarf wrote:
generaldiomedes wrote:
bjporter wrote:FYI I don't think we need to put any rules restrictions on this month.

Yeah .. would like a bit of clarification on this .. do you truly mean no rule restrictions whatsoever?
I'm pretty confident he means no *extra* restrictions - like not using single cycles is OK. I don't think it means that the usual rules don't apply - just that you can use all the features of this synth without restriction.

The reason I think this is that I asked Bj in a PM to clarify to the group if there were any restrictions around samples etc used in the synth, following on from Thorn and Diodow...
I think so too because I asked him the same in a PM! So using all factory presets is allowed but the usual rules still apply.

Main page really needs a "No Restrictions Month Clarification" section IMO. 8)

Okay, I want to make sure there is no further restriction, because...

I have already done some experiments with the wavetable files. At least for files of the type "left" I was able to increase the number of samples in the file by factor 4, that means I have handcrafted a file with 4096 samples instead of 1024 for slot 1...I took WT "Analog Coil" which has just one Sawtooth in Slot 1 and I ended up with 4 Sawtooths ;-)
I'm not yet clear what that means and what possibilities that offers, but what if I succeed and can put 16k samples into each slot? I remember having discussed with Mr. Fathom about the specs...and he mentioned 16k per slot if I remember correctly.

If nobody objects I will go for this route because I love to do these kind of experiments.

In the worst case, I can use my Tone2 Icarus' Resynthesis Engine to load arbitrary samples and process them in Icarus to get a preprocessed result of 2048 samples per slot and export it. If I'm not too lazy I can write a little script that takes these exports and craft Fathom WTs, i.e. those simple xml files...

So if we already own the normal pro version of Fathom, we can just use that?

bryemye wrote:So if we already own the normal pro version of Fathom, we can just use that?
Good question.. saves me PMing BJ
However I do have another question..
I am still on 32bit win.. as Everett (FathomSynth) mentioned in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=482501&start=1590 the memory use can become quiet high...
I have one patch (OH it's big and beefy.. lovely sound )))) that when loaded in Reaper, the RAM usage is over 1000 MB.. I loaded a second instance of same patch>>> crash!
Question>>> can we render tracks?

toonertik wrote:
bryemye wrote:So if we already own the normal pro version of Fathom, we can just use that?
I am still on 32bit win.. as Everett (FathomSynth) mentioned in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=482501&start=1590 the memory use can become quiet high...
I have one patch (OH it's big and beefy.. lovely sound )))) that when loaded in Reaper, the RAM usage is over 1000 MB.. I loaded a second instance of same patch>>> crash!
I guess its no problem to render tracks, its the same result as using a more powerful computer.
On the other hand, why not using for that challenge a 64-bit host? There is no need to run those 32-bit plugs you might want to use for your other projects...

toonertik wrote:However I do have another question..
You can freeze tracks in Reaper.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Tj Shredder wrote:
toonertik wrote:
I guess its no problem to render tracks, its the same result as using a more powerful computer.
On the other hand, why not using for that challenge a 64-bit host? There is no need to run those 32-bit plugs you might want to use for your other projects...
Coz I am still on 32bit win7... It is 7 years since I installed it... I have butchered it to run almost perfectly... I can't even remember the last time it crashed.. and a few weeks ago I did a 64 bit_Win7 install on a recently bought SSD and then looked at the daunting task of a virgin OS and breaking her in my way.... I thought NO_WAY>> I'm too old>>> :lol:
(deleted the OS, did a 32bit clone of exsisting OS but then had all that hassle of re_activation.. so deleted that as well... I am now in limbo... but the bar is too low for my old back>> wtf)
Last edited by toonertik on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

satYatunes wrote: You can freeze tracks in Reaper.
hahah... yes, I am aware of that, although I prefer to render tracks... (also as Everett has pointed out, Fathom can still remain in memory in some situations).
my question is more to do with rules, if I remember correctly, we can't render tracks to use in say Mixbus for final mixing.

toonertik wrote:
I just PM'd him and soon realized I should actually read this thread first. lol
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Definitely need some clarification on the Rules thing...distort to hell, Valhalla verbs, modulating delays? :D

@Toonertik, I think the rendering restriction is more geared towards one shots to cut and paste as a track in order to avoid things such as drift, etc. Rendering the track as the synth produced it and then mixing it down as a whole in some other fashion is allowed.

For $15, probably the best synth deal on the planet right now. CPU usage is high, sound quality is a small step below Massive (IMO), but so many options and possibilities.

Instead of adding more features, maybe concentrate more on the basic sound engine and optimization. Just as an example - modulating filter cutoffs with a sequencer produces clicking.
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”