Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
User avatar
Urs
u-he
 
22229 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:12 pm Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote: No, I am expecting Softube's stupid ass browser to be able to load standard fxp files that EVERY other synth on the planet can load.

Oh really? Which synths are able ON THEIR OWN to load FXP and FXB files? I know just a handfull of them. Not certainly "EVERY other synth on the planet".

Anyway, it's your business. Do as you please. :shrug:

I think Wags is right. Supporting fxp, vstpreset, aupreset is a piece of cake for any developer. Those are well documented formats. It's an omission of Softube's side, especially as no-one was ever able to save anything else before and surely wants their patches - home made or bought from 3rd parties - in whatever browser they now have.
User avatar
sqigls
KVRAF
 
3025 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby sqigls; Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 pm Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

too flippin right
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
7378 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 am Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

Urs wrote: I think Wags is right. Supporting fxp, vstpreset, aupreset is a piece of cake for any developer. Those are well documented formats. It's an omission of Softube's side, especially as no-one was ever able to save anything else before and surely wants their patches - home made or bought from 3rd parties - in whatever browser they now have.

I wasn't saying he is not right. I too was pissed at Softube for their omission, to the point of basically having lost any interest in Modular (and God knows how pleased I felt when I saw it announced). I was just saying that, sometimes, we have to make some sacrifices, for the sake of our business. No matter how morally right he is, that doesn't change the reality, unfortunately.

Anyway, I think the way things did evolve, Modular lost its pace (and place) already.

BTW: Things are as stupid as to the point of Softube in fact still suporting FXP and vstpreset. When I load the plug-ins in Cubase, I am still able to load vstpreset. They just don't do that in their browser. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)
User avatar
PatrickW
KVRer
 
19 posts since 13 Apr, 2009, from Belgium

Postby PatrickW; Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:46 am Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

woodsdenis wrote:I quite like it actually.


Me too :?
It's consistent for all the Softube plugins I own, fast and the filtering works good.
If they only give the option to change the psychedelic looking tiles to something more eye friendly, like plain text, I'm a very happy camper.
h2ogun99
KVRist
 
255 posts since 12 Mar, 2003, from Dallas

Postby h2ogun99; Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:37 pm Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

I reserved my comments till I tried it properly.

This is a disaster...

Here's a side by side with Heartbeat. With a GUI this size, you're graciously given 14 presets on screen at one time (with another row of 5 peeking through)

https://imgur.com/a/ds4Jp

A bit baffled this was considered an acceptable solution.

L
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12631 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:38 pm Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

h2ogun99 wrote:I reserved my comments till I tried it properly.

This is a disaster...

Here's a side by side with Heartbeat. With a GUI this size, you're graciously given 14 presets on screen at one time (with another row of 5 peeking through)

https://imgur.com/a/ds4Jp

A bit baffled this was considered an acceptable solution.

L


Wow, what a train wreck.
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
29648 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 pm Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

h2ogun99 wrote:I reserved my comments till I tried it properly.

This is a disaster...

Here's a side by side with Heartbeat. With a GUI this size, you're graciously given 14 presets on screen at one time (with another row of 5 peeking through)

https://imgur.com/a/ds4Jp

A bit baffled this was considered an acceptable solution.

L


So no list view? Does it respect folder structures so you can organise presets in banks or is it just one endless list?
raymondwave
KVRist
 
225 posts since 2 May, 2014

Postby raymondwave; Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:26 pm Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

I don't know about loading or saving, but I can still use the drop down menu in Studio One for Softube presets, so there is no need to use the browser. The preset "blocks" could be a bit smaller in the browser tho, I definitely agree.
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
29648 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:35 pm Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

raymondwave wrote:I don't know about loading or saving, but I can still use the drop down menu in Studio One for Softube presets, so there is no need to use the browser. The preset "blocks" could be a bit smaller in the browser tho, I definitely agree.


Studio One is one of the very few hosts to get its responsibilities for preset management right for all plugin formats it supports (just a pity there is not host that can convert between them - it would be a godsend). The only other one I know of is Bidule - every other one messes it up in some ways.
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
7378 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 am Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

aMUSEd wrote:
raymondwave wrote:I don't know about loading or saving, but I can still use the drop down menu in Studio One for Softube presets, so there is no need to use the browser. The preset "blocks" could be a bit smaller in the browser tho, I definitely agree.


Studio One is one of the very few hosts to get its responsibilities for preset management right for all plugin formats it supports (just a pity there is not host that can convert between them - it would be a godsend). The only other one I know of is Bidule - every other one messes it up in some ways.

In Cubase, I also can load presets in Softube plug-ins right from day one (but that0s because they supported FXP/FXB and vstpreset). I don't expect a plug-in builder to support ALL plug-in formats for ALL host available. Studio One Pro most likely also uses vstpreset, and that's why it's posssible to load the presets directly. The problem arises when the host doesn't use those formats (FXP/FXB and vstpreset)
Fernando (FMR)
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
29648 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 am Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

fmr wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
raymondwave wrote:I don't know about loading or saving, but I can still use the drop down menu in Studio One for Softube presets, so there is no need to use the browser. The preset "blocks" could be a bit smaller in the browser tho, I definitely agree.


Studio One is one of the very few hosts to get its responsibilities for preset management right for all plugin formats it supports (just a pity there is not host that can convert between them - it would be a godsend). The only other one I know of is Bidule - every other one messes it up in some ways.

In Cubase, I also can load presets in Softube plug-ins right from day one (but that0s because they supported FXP/FXB and vstpreset). I don't expect a plug-in builder to support ALL plug-in formats for ALL host available. Studio One Pro most likely also uses vstpreset, and that's why it's posssible to load the presets directly. The problem arises when the host doesn't use those formats (FXP/FXB and vstpreset)


Studio One and Bidule are the only ones I have (don't have Cubase or Sonar so not including them) that fully support native presets for all the plugin formats they support (and they support VST2, 3 and AU on Mac). ie not only load them (effectively) but also save and manage them. Some like Bitwig only load them and don't support all plugin formats anyway, others like Reaper and Tracktion make a hash of loading aupresets or vstpresets (although Waveform is trying to fix this, slowly). afaik hasn't Cubase deprecated support for fxp/b now in favour of vstpresets?
Jay Ass Blach
Banned

Postby Jay Ass Blach; Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:10 am Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

raymondwave wrote:I don't know about loading or saving, but I can still use the drop down menu in Studio One for Softube presets, so there is no need to use the browser. The preset "blocks" could be a bit smaller in the browser tho, I definitely agree.


Heartbeat needs drum channel presets and effect presets. Same goes for Modular (haven't tried it but this is obvious). Those are several devices grouped together into a plugin. You need to have preset control for every device. The host cannot give you that.
Then comes the question of usability and looks of this new 'browser'.
User avatar
sqigls
KVRAF
 
3025 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby sqigls; Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:25 am Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

please everybody, write to Softube and tell them.
hopefully they'll wise up a bit
Jay Ass Blach
Banned

Postby Jay Ass Blach; Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:10 am Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

sqigls wrote:please everybody, write to Softube and tell them.
hopefully they'll wise up a bit


You mean they are THAT dumb? Coding this POS requires way more intellect than is necessary to understand what a simple browser needs and should have.
h2ogun99
KVRist
 
255 posts since 12 Mar, 2003, from Dallas

Postby h2ogun99; Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:26 am Re: New 'preset browser' for Softube Modular and Heartbeat

aMUSEd wrote:
h2ogun99 wrote:I reserved my comments till I tried it properly.

This is a disaster...

Here's a side by side with Heartbeat. With a GUI this size, you're graciously given 14 presets on screen at one time (with another row of 5 peeking through)

https://imgur.com/a/ds4Jp

A bit baffled this was considered an acceptable solution.

L


So no list view? Does it respect folder structures so you can organise presets in banks or is it just one endless list?



Unless I'm missing something, what you see is what you get. It's like someone looked at Arturia's preset browser and said, "I want you to design ours with a similar look & feel, but stop there. When it comes to functionality, do whatever you like... oh, by the way...welcome to the team."

L
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments