"Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd use NI Monark for such sounds.

Forgot to say, Minimonsta is still a hell of a Moog VST. Although I think the filters are better in Monark, Diva and Legend, Minimonsta has some magic moog vibe that is rare in VSTs.

Lokomotiv by Archetype Instruments can get pretty ballsy aswell.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Thanks for the many recommendations,

so I've tried Bazille now for quite some time and while I like the possibilities it offers I don't dig the overall sound too much. Someone stated that Bazille wouldn't keep up with the body of the Moog - that's exactly what I thought when fiddling and playing with it - it sounds thinner.
And on top of that it's really CPU hungry sometimes :o
Still have to find time to demo Urs ACE, which soundexamples sound promising.

I want to test the other suggested Synths as well but I'm lacking enough time to do it right, so for now, I'm quite happy with the amount of suggestions.

I'll also look into the Klanghelm SDRR - I only used freeware until now for my saturation needs and while they all sound good on different material none of them felt too right on my synthesizers.
So yeah I will give that a try aswell!

For the weekend I will dive back into Tyrell and maybe Podolski and demo the Viking Synthesizer.
Soundwise I'm still very impressed by The Legend tbh, it has those crunching, gnarly lows which I love.

Here are some more examples for that lovely sound (and yes, I'm currently focussing on bass synthesis exclusively :) )

https://soundcloud.com/losless/green-eg ... an-records

https://soundcloud.com/losless/khoal-ep ... allplatten (from 4:40)

Of course he has to be mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb_GNFJbENI

Have a nice weekend!

M4lte
Squisch

Glad we could help.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

More bite i only imagine has P900 and the new Moog Model D app.
But the on is mac only and the other one is iOS only sadly.
Indeed in my opinion Model D blows The Legend in terms of dirty power...it´s awesome.
About using tube saturation it can really help but that gives you not quite the same f.e. with something like P900 which has tube saturation per voice and the filter with high resonance give you something you won´t achieve easy otherwise.
The Legend might be indeed the closest to the Sub 37.
But Dagger is really really powerful and dirty for bass. It´s not quite like Moog it´s even too dirty for me often :D
DRC as well as the mentioned Viking is dirty as well and Repro might get you also there.
Many choices.
But the sounds in the demos are still tame :D

I'll second that.

Stillwell Audio's Olga + Black Box Analog Design's HG-2.

AAS Ultra Analog 2 is surprisingly dirty too. Might be worth checking out.

"Bazille wouldn't keep up with the body of the Moog"

Can we presume you have demo'd The Legend. It is not a synth I own but it is supposedly the best Moog emulator out there. Probably grea at bass and just add your favourite flavour of any 100's of saturators/distortion that exists.

Synthman2000 wrote:"Bazille wouldn't keep up with the body of the Moog"

Can we presume you have demo'd The Legend. It is not a synth I own but it is supposedly the best Moog emulator out there. Probably grea at bass and just add your favourite flavour of any 100's of saturators/distortion that exists.
It´s not the best anymore....sorry :D

Synthman2000 wrote:"Bazille wouldn't keep up with the body of the Moog"

Yes, I demo'd it - I demo everything I consider buying.
And because somehow a happy mistake happened the demo didn't turn down after 30 days and I could demo it for 60 days :D
So yeah, I'm quite used to The Legend - it IS the best Moog Emulation I've played SO FAR.
But as suspected - people keep posting synths I didn't know before - exctly what I wanted.
In fact it doens't have to be a Moog Emu - can be anything, just needs to be dirty, crunchy and screaming when pushed.
And some of the recommendations sound really fit and have nice extras the Legend has not, which makes workflow easier when it comes to modulation for example.

But soundwise The Legend got its nose still at first place in the moment.
Still have to try it with nice saturation though.
I'll take my time to crawl through all recommendations and options I can demo and then I will decide :)

I'll keep you guys updated!

M4lte
Squisch

Get Black Box Analog Design's HG-2 or Decapitator or some awesome distortion/saturation plugin...

then you can use virtually ANY synth and get bitey 'basslines'.

This thread made me curious to test some moogs side by side. I have Monark with komplete which i like so i dont really pay attention to mood emulations anymore, although ive had diva and minimonsta in the past. I was quite surprised to find that I prefer Minimonsta over all of the rest, even after all these years. Ill admit the filter maybe isnt quite as accurate as the others but the overall vibe just sounds closest to me. i gave up Minimonsta when Diva came out as i figured it made it no longer necessary but actually it has a special sound. The GUI really needs a size update though.

Return to “Instruments”