Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
audiot
KVRist

120 posts since 8 Jan, 2005, from Germany

Postby audiot; Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:49 am Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Stephan Bodzin is mainly using the Sub37. There are a few good tutorials how to get that bodzin sound, even with sylenth1 and arturias moog. As additional dirtyfiers I can recommend SDDR by Klanghelm and WOW2 by Sugar Bytes ... download the demo and just turn up the "hyperbolic"-knob on the init-preset ... :hyper: ... very underrated product. WOW2 is one of the most analogue sounding fx ... maybe the best for warm analogue distortion and filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGT8BzfWdFU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90rXq0UHPgA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js0IU8s2K_I
Synthman2000
KVRist

484 posts since 27 Apr, 2016

Postby Synthman2000; Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:02 am Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Cinebient wrote:
Synthman2000 wrote:"Bazille wouldn't keep up with the body of the Moog"

Can we presume you have demo'd The Legend. It is not a synth I own but it is supposedly the best Moog emulator out there. Probably grea at bass and just add your favourite flavour of any 100's of saturators/distortion that exists.

It´s not the best anymore....sorry :D

No need to be sorry :) But what is the best Moog VSTi in your opinion. I was not aware of any new comers to market and thought the general consensus on KVR was that it is pretty much nailed in The Legend.
Cinebient
KVRAF

3453 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:23 am Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Synthman2000 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
Synthman2000 wrote:"Bazille wouldn't keep up with the body of the Moog"

Can we presume you have demo'd The Legend. It is not a synth I own but it is supposedly the best Moog emulator out there. Probably grea at bass and just add your favourite flavour of any 100's of saturators/distortion that exists.

It´s not the best anymore....sorry :D

No need to be sorry :) But what is the best Moog VSTi in your opinion. I was not aware of any new comers to market and thought the general consensus on KVR was that it is pretty much nailed in The Legend.

It‘s no VST sadly....just Moog‘s own app.
pdxindy
KVRAF

13300 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:23 am Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

M4lte wrote:In fact it doens't have to be a Moog Emu - can be anything, just needs to be dirty, crunchy and screaming when pushed.

In that case try RePro

It's not a Moog emulation but rather Pro One and Prophet 5. It grinds and growls and screams and cries... It sounds utterly gorgeous!
Cinebient
KVRAF

3453 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:45 am Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

pdxindy wrote:
M4lte wrote:In fact it doens't have to be a Moog Emu - can be anything, just needs to be dirty, crunchy and screaming when pushed.

In that case try RePro

It's not a Moog emulation but rather Pro One and Prophet 5. It grinds and growls and screams and cries... It sounds utterly gorgeous!

Indeed. Repro is super great. Especially with JAWS inside Repro-1 (wavefolder) and the poly distortion and Velvet inside Repro-5.
But the Moog sounds a bit more dirty but also more muddy.
Repro can be BRUTAL!
Just layer your bass!!
chk071
KVRAF

16054 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:50 am Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Lolz. I was just wondering if Starsky Carr would do a shootout with the Minimoog app, and the Model D. And, guess what, he already did! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARxrOAj5GzU
Russell Grand
KVRian

1081 posts since 22 May, 2017

Postby Russell Grand; Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:55 am Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Bug Music wrote:Well... I might get slammed here, because it doesn't seem to get a whole lot of love 'round these parts, but I find AIR's Vacuum Pro to be very useful for that type of stuff.
It's not an emulation of any particular hardware AFAIK, but does really nail that general vibe IMHO.

If you look around, it's always on sale somewhere for between $1 and $39, but if you can score a back issue of Computer Music magazine from January there was a code to redeem and download a free copy.

The only downside is it does use iLok, and I know that's a put off for a lot of folks, but you don't need the USB dongle and you can authorize on your computer with iLok software only.

- Jay

Why would you get slammed for suggesting Vacuum Pro? Sure, it's not in with the most talked-about synths on KVR, but AIR stuff does get some love here. It's a very capable synth with a character all its own. I have the entire AIR collection and most of it still gets some use here in my studio. Loom, Velvet & Vacuum Pro are a couple of my favorites from AIR.
M4lte
KVRer

27 posts since 6 Jun, 2013, from Germany

Postby M4lte; Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:20 pm Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

So, to keep track of everthing that gets suggested here, I'll introduce a list.

Suggested Synthesizers:
- U-He Bazille or Bazille CM
- U-He ACE
- U-He Repro
- U-He Tyrell N6
- GForce ImpOSCar
- GForce Minimonsta
- Xhun LittleOne
- Xils Lab Xils 3 & Xils 4
- AIR Vacuum Pro
- Reaktor 6 Blocks
- BeepStreet Dagger
- Viking VK-1
- Tone2 Saurus
- SmartElectronix ASynth
- NI Monark
- Archetype Instruments Lokomotiv
- Pulsar Modular P900
- Moog App
- Imaginando DRC
- Stillwellaudio Olga
- AAS Ultra Analog 2
- Arturia Mini V

Other Suggestions:
- Klanghelm SDRR
- Black Box Analog Design HG-2
- Decapitator
- Sugar Bytes WOW2

I'll update the list after the weekend if more suggestions come in.
Actually I didn't expect such an amount of answers to the more or like typical "what VST sounds moog" question but hey, I appreciate the reactions. I just need time to try all this stuff :D

By the way, my budget is limited, so BlackBox HG-2 is no option really. 250 bucks for saturation is a bit crazy for me at the moment. Both financially and regarding the state of my productions.

Cheers!
Squisch
chk071
KVRAF

16054 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:24 pm Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Wait, XILS got recommended? Hm, couldn't be further from the Moog sound but... ok... :)
M4lte
KVRer

Postby M4lte; Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:37 pm Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

audiot wrote:Stephan Bodzin is mainly using the Sub37. There are a few good tutorials how to get that bodzin sound, even with sylenth1 and arturias moog. As additional dirtyfiers I can recommend SDDR by Klanghelm and WOW2 by Sugar Bytes ... download the demo and just turn up the "hyperbolic"-knob on the init-preset ... :hyper: ... very underrated product. WOW2 is one of the most analogue sounding fx ... maybe the best for warm analogue distortion and filter.

Yes, yes I know those tutorials, they're quite good to get the first push in the direction of Bodzins sound.
But I'm actually not searching for Bodzins sound-design itself, but rather the fundamentals of the sound that gets incorporated by Stephan.
So basically I'm searching for a Synthesizer that has the characteristics I like:
Dirty, raw, powerful with tight, grinding and punchy low-end and body and a not so subtle portion of unpredictability.

So basically the perfect synth would be a very own Sub 37 but as I said I'm pretty broke and I do feel that hardware isn't needed yet. I still have to learn, even in the instruments I use for over a few years now like Massive and Zebra 2 which I bought like 4 years ago or so.

By the way, I just bought Cytomic's The Drop and it's incredible. I compared it with WOW2 and while both sound great I liked The Drop a bit more.
It really sounds good and gives everything a nice warm feeling - like it!

Have a nice weekend!
Squisch
Examigan
KVRAF

4501 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:36 pm Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Here are 4 famous plugins playing the same low note, and with a little bit of their distortion turned up...but not much really.
I tried to make each one pretty much close to each other in their sound... but it is tough, because each synth is different of course. I started with the Initialized preset with each plugin. There's a weird artifact from Soundcloud at about 8 seconds that wasn't in my file...from their "compression" I guess.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/4-synths
Examigan
KVRAF

4501 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:50 pm Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Forgot to mention, it is (...not in this order) Saurus 2, Diva, Minimonsta and The Legend.
Last edited by Examigan on Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
M4lte
KVRer

Postby M4lte; Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:46 pm Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Nice blind test, will do that too when I get back home.
Right now I just have my casual headphones handy but from what I hear I like the inital attack of the first one, very gritty. The second one wins at "overall sound", the third one sounds a bit dull and lifeless imo and the fourth one is hard to judge because it behaves different than the others when it comes to envelope. Still sounds very good though.
Im back home monday evening, please keep it a secret until then, want to try it over my monitors :)

I always find it crazy that synths can sound so similar in direct comparison but feel totally different in the production process or when you introduce more features to them like modulation or filter resonance.
I guess theres also plenty of psychological bias because I could never point out one particular synth out of a pool just by hearing the oscillators with a bit of drive.
But I think the term "feel" sometimes has more value than the pure sound itself.

Cheers!
Squisch
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

6009 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Examigan wrote:Here are 4 famous plugins playing the same low note, and with a little bit of their distortion turned up...but not much really.
I tried to make each one pretty much close to each other in their sound... but it is tough, because each synth is different of course. I started with the Initialized preset with each plugin. There's a weird artifact from Soundcloud at about 8 seconds that wasn't in my file...from their "compression" I guess.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/4-synths

I have no idea which is which, they sound fairly similar. Sounds like 2 and 4 have a bit more punch but there might just be slight volume differences.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

6009 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:39 pm Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

I’ll also add NI Rounds to the list. Surprisingly good sound and has the qualities being looked for here.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments