Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
zarf
KVRist

316 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Postby zarf; Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

As J. Ruegg said - we voted :D

I've had a crazy busy month so far (GDPR anyone? :x ) ... so I've not been able to comment on every track as I usually do, sorry folks! I may still get to it but probably not.

Really high standard, some terriffic work, well done all :tu:
liqih
DASH Guy

7303 posts since 19 Sep, 2001

Postby liqih; Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

I've voted, this time following a template that I link below, but I suggest to do not look at it unless you are very curious.
Also you should wait few hours for when voting is over

FM synthesis, simple as in JuceOLPVSTi proves to be very versatile, I'm a fan of FM over subtractive synthesis.

These are not reviews.
http://nusofting.com/osc_110.png
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah
bh9090
KVRist

257 posts since 7 Dec, 2006, from Richmond, VA, USA

Postby bh9090; Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

Voted.
TheNeverScene
KVRist

392 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Postby TheNeverScene; Tue May 15, 2018 6:32 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

Voted.
baalisoda
KVRist

133 posts since 7 Apr, 2017, from Vellore, Tamilnadu, India

Postby baalisoda; Tue May 15, 2018 6:46 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

liqih wrote:I've voted, this time following a template that I link below, but I suggest to do not look at it unless you are very curious.

FM synthesis, simple as in JuceOLPVSTi proves to be very versatile, I'm a fan of FM over subtractive synthesis.

These are not reviews.

An interesting and transparent way of giving points.

Thanks, mate :tu:
https://baalisoda.bandcamp.com
H-man
KVRian

630 posts since 26 Dec, 2007, from Australia

Postby H-man; Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

Voted

Great month for listening. Last month many seemed to be on some sort of slow-dark trip but this month was totally different. Lots of energy and creativity and vibes.

You all go get down with yer bad selves :clap:
zarf
KVRist

316 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Postby zarf; Wed May 16, 2018 2:22 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

liqih wrote:I've voted, this time following a template that I link below....

Thanks for this, it is a fascinating insight into your process and thinking, cheers for sharing :tu:
I'm amazed at how differently you approach the scoring to me, and also how differently you have responded to the tracks. :o Very cool information :D
liqih
DASH Guy

Postby liqih; Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

Thanks zarf and baalisoda for your comments. Not always I used that template,
sometimes I just listen twice and choose what I like <wink>, with only 27 tracks it's easier to rationalize.
Taron
KVRAF

2145 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Wed May 16, 2018 8:24 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

Ahahaha, nice template, liqih! It goes without saying that this is highly subjective, because it's easy to confuse those terms as objective qualities. These are your perceptions, as in what you consider a good mix, emotionally or intellectually stimulating to you. While some are stimulated by mistakes, others are stimulated by careful composition. Even in the case of the mix it is very well a matter of taste or even mood, while in all these categories there could be some commonly relatable reference.
No less, it's very interesting and a clever way of finding a more cut and dry way of going through the "voting" process. Very cerebral! 8)
Thanks for sharing, for sure! :tu:
doctorbob
KVRian

1054 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

Nice on liqih, as music is intensely subjective, I have no problem with the way you rationalise your thoughts! :tu: With the mix/master side of things - I find that listening to the tracks as they come in soon identifies those "special mixes". :party: I then have to decide how the other "parameters" in my evaluations then rate those tracks overall in terms of achieving a top spot in my humble opinion. :love: The best and fantastic mix can be let down by the composition and vice versa! :dog:

dB
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

Exactly, that's what I mean by "cerebral", rather than judging the actual effect of the music. When one listens to an old song on a gramophone, for example, the mix may be rotten, the sounds may hardly be identifiable, yet, the music can be brilliant and its effect tremendous. Same with a single instrument, playing a beautiful tune, which can have more meaning and effect than a symphonic orchestra or a stunning electronic mix. Once you boil everything down to components, you may think you would've helped to avoid subjective bias, but in fact you may even betray your subjective bias where it matters most with the bias where it matters least. :| ...still, it's a method. :shrug:
progtronic
KVRist

486 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Postby progtronic; Wed May 16, 2018 8:51 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

I rely on an intensely complicated, totally reliable and amazingly accurate system of measurement, probability and fairness when scoring OSC songs.

ImageImageImage
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Wed May 16, 2018 8:54 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

I would love further elaboration on the burger!!! :hyper:
ontrackp
KVRian

588 posts since 13 Jan, 2013, from United States

Postby ontrackp; Wed May 16, 2018 8:55 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

liqih wrote:I've voted, this time following a template that I link below, but I suggest to do not look at it unless you are very curious.

These are not reviews.

I like your template! Unfortunately, for the first time ever, I failed to complete voting due to some extreme work craziness, but want to say that I really enjoyed listening to everyone's pieces and am looking forward to next month.
liqih
DASH Guy

Postby liqih; Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am Re: One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Voting Time!)

Taron wrote:Exactly, that's what I mean by "cerebral", rather than judging the actual effect of the music. When one listens to an old song on a gramophone, for example, the mix may be rotten, the sounds may hardly be identifiable, yet, the music can be brilliant and its effect tremendous. Same with a single instrument, playing a beautiful tune, which can have more meaning and effect than a symphonic orchestra or a stunning electronic mix. Once you boil everything down to components, you may think you would've helped to avoid subjective bias, but in fact you may even betray your subjective bias where it matters most with the bias where it matters least. :| ...still, it's a method. :shrug:

Looks like you didn't read the side note on my template, <wink>
"subjective evaluations", and moreover there is an "intuitive"
rounding up or down of the first rating, exactly because the various qualities will balance each other.

Anyway it's just a report, not a proposal!!!!!!
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments