Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Taron
KVRAF

2145 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Thu May 03, 2018 11:13 am Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

AH, YES, you're right... crude, but effective! ;) ...is there a secret toggle for good polyphony, too, I have overlooked? :scared:
lxegs
KVRist

123 posts since 28 Jan, 2011

Postby lxegs; Thu May 03, 2018 1:07 pm Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

latest version works now on my different DAWs

thx
EscapeControl
KVRer

16 posts since 31 Aug, 2017, from Netherlands

Postby EscapeControl; Thu May 03, 2018 1:18 pm Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

Anyone else having trouble getting the inputs of the synths to show? I'm using FL 12.5.1 on windows 10. I tried it on 12.4.2 before but the inputs weren't visible in the processing tab of the plugin settings or patcher. I figured it was FL not playing nice so i upgraded to the next version (long overdue :P), but the problem is still there. I've tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions of Crust in FL64 and FL32 bit. Am i missing something or is this a bug?
Dee.P.Tree
KVRist

188 posts since 25 Aug, 2015

Postby Dee.P.Tree; Thu May 03, 2018 6:40 pm Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

Coming directly from OSC thread.

Congratulations to the developer, 1eqinfinity (Mr. Crimson Brain) for developing a nice sounding and capable synth.

I downloaded the plugin and tried it for few minutes, first impression: not too uch heavy on CPU, working OK. GUI is well managed-liked its minimalistic look. Good for my ancient machine.

I will try it out in detail in coming days.

Just a couple of suggestions:

1. I think it will be more helpful if Oscillator tune parameter is in Cents insteads of 0 to 1.

2. I feel that color contrast can be better, but still remain minimal (if that is main idea behind GUI design). May be some contrasting text and background. Grey background with white and black text is not best combination for GUI, in my opinion. Don't you think that "Crust" logo can me more eye catching.

Regards,
Dee

Edit: added text, reorganized suggestions. :D
foxAsteria
KVRist

96 posts since 7 Aug, 2004

Postby foxAsteria; Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 am FR: Smart Randomize

Wow! The only thing a wild & tasty beast like this could use is button to instantly change your entire sound. So much is possible with this synth, simple presets wouldn't do it justice.

Randomize button would be bliss... :love: :love:
~TwilightMysterySchool~
AtmosphericElectronicMusic
1eqinfinity
KVRist

162 posts since 29 Apr, 2012

Postby 1eqinfinity; Fri May 04, 2018 2:35 am Crust v 0.7.5

I've uploaded a proper version update: https://yadi.sk/d/hSoDCosq3U3QNF

It doesn't have new features, but there's
- an improved filter envelope amount precision setting and
- better upward filter sweeps in the lower freq range

have a nice weekend ;)
Julien Unison
KVRist

266 posts since 9 Oct, 2006

Postby Julien Unison; Fri May 04, 2018 2:47 am Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

I LOVE this synth already ! :love:

And YES for a randomize button, please add one :hyper:
U N I S O N : shoegaze / electronic / black metal wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/
1eqinfinity
KVRist

Postby 1eqinfinity; Fri May 04, 2018 2:50 am Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

Taron wrote:Alright, now I can give some feedback, if you don't mind.
This is really a curious design. Very unique and interesting. I wished it had some sort of tool tips or some more hints, but it's workable.
The polyphony is a bit wacky. I'm super thrilled that you hooked up the sustain pedal. Too many people don't do that. However, instead of replacing notes, you simply don't allow to play them a second time, making it very strange to play freely. I know that these polyphony routines aren't easy, so don't worry about me, making funny assumptions. In one of my approaches I like best, I've made an intermediate array of notes, which will get the note on/off and velocity, while the sustain pedal sets a boolean only for the actual processing routine, which will allow the midi event stuff to be unaffected by it. This array, though, has its own logic of notes being replaced, always just looking for a free slot first, then for the oldest note played. It's very reliable when you play, you know. I tried also going for velocities or same notes, but none of that actually feels right for the most part.

Anyway, more feedback to come as I keep exploring this fascinating creation of yours! :)

I appreciate the feedback, Taron! If I got your idea on poly right, you want the rearticulation. Take a look at the four little switches on the bottom, between the MIDI panic and glide time. The sustained note should be rearticulated, as far as I remember (I wrote the poly algorithm quite some time ago ;))
1eqinfinity
KVRist

Postby 1eqinfinity; Fri May 04, 2018 2:53 am Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

EscapeControl wrote:Anyone else having trouble getting the inputs of the synths to show? I'm using FL 12.5.1 on windows 10. I tried it on 12.4.2 before but the inputs weren't visible in the processing tab of the plugin settings or patcher. I figured it was FL not playing nice so i upgraded to the next version (long overdue :P), but the problem is still there. I've tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions of Crust in FL64 and FL32 bit. Am i missing something or is this a bug?

I don't quite get your problem. Try out the "R" button on the bottom, you can choose the input routing and masking there.
1eqinfinity
KVRist

Postby 1eqinfinity; Fri May 04, 2018 2:55 am Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

Dee.P.Tree wrote:Coming directly from OSC thread.

Congratulations to the developer, 1eqinfinity (Mr. Crimson Brain) for developing a nice sounding and capable synth.

I downloaded the plugin and tried it for few minutes, first impression: not too uch heavy on CPU, working OK. GUI is well managed-liked its minimalistic look. Good for my ancient machine.

I will try it out in detail in coming days.

Just a couple of suggestions:

1. I think it will be more helpful if Oscillator tune parameter is in Cents insteads of 0 to 1.

2. I feel that color contrast can be better, but still remain minimal (if that is main idea behind GUI design). May be some contrasting text and background. Grey background with white and black text is not best combination for GUI, in my opinion. Don't you think that "Crust" logo can me more eye catching.

Regards,
Dee

Edit: added text, reorganized suggestions. :D

Thanks! I'll think about the cents. The GUI is not final, I also think there're things to improve.

Ok, ok, I get it, people love randomize buttons :)
Taron
KVRAF

2145 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Fri May 04, 2018 5:13 am Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

1eqinfinity wrote:
Taron wrote:The polyphony is a bit wacky...

I appreciate the feedback, Taron! If I got your idea on poly right, you want the rearticulation. Take a look at the four little switches on the bottom, between the MIDI panic and glide time. The sustained note should be rearticulated, as far as I remember (I wrote the poly algorithm quite some time ago ;))

Thanks, infinity, but the behavior doesn't seem to change, regardless as to what I do with those four buttons, when it comes to polyphony under sustain pedal. Once it is down, you can only play a note once. It won't be triggered again by note on messages. Since all of those four toggles explicitly refer to glide, I'm almost glad that they don't alter the polyphony in that way.
To see what I mean, just make a piano like sound, turning the envelopes to sustain 0 and decay 3 or something like that! Hold down the sustain pedal and play a note more than once!
I'm not excluding the possibility that there may be some magical combination of toggles somewhere, but I yet have to find it. :ud: :help:

Other than that, I can already taste the power of your creation there. It's quite quick to come to controlled results that sound very neat, simple and complex alike, if so desired. Feels like there's awesomeness for sure! :hyper:
1eqinfinity
KVRist

Postby 1eqinfinity; Fri May 04, 2018 6:40 am Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

Taron wrote:Thanks, infinity, but the behavior doesn't seem to change, regardless as to what I do with those four buttons, when it comes to polyphony under sustain pedal. Once it is down, you can only play a note once. It won't be triggered again by note on messages. Since all of those four toggles explicitly refer to glide, I'm almost glad that they don't alter the polyphony in that way.
To see what I mean, just make a piano like sound, turning the envelopes to sustain 0 and decay 3 or something like that! Hold down the sustain pedal and play a note more than once!
I'm not excluding the possibility that there may be some magical combination of toggles somewhere, but I yet have to find it. :ud: :help:

Other than that, I can already taste the power of your creation there. It's quite quick to come to controlled results that sound very neat, simple and complex alike, if so desired. Feels like there's awesomeness for sure! :hyper:

Thanks! I'll take a look at the implementation. There's no magical combination, I'm afraid ;)
EscapeControl
KVRer

Postby EscapeControl; Fri May 04, 2018 3:04 pm Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

Regarding the missing inputs, I think there's something up with FL itself, since other vst instruments that have audio inputs won't let me access them either.
I'm curious how levendis managed to do it though.
(edit) it's apparently part of how FL works, guess i'll have to use some magic
Halonmusic
KVRian

1186 posts since 13 Nov, 2015, from Norway

Postby Halonmusic; Fri May 04, 2018 3:21 pm Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

EscapeControl wrote:Regarding the missing inputs, I think there's something up with FL itself, since other vst instruments that have audio inputs won't let me access them either.
I'm curious how levendis managed to do it though.
(edit) it's apparently part of how FL works, guess i'll have to use some magic

Not shure what you are trying to say here, but dont you mean 'outputs' ?
- 32bit for Life, 32bit Forever -
EscapeControl
KVRer

Postby EscapeControl; Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 pm Re: Crust [pre-alpha]

Crust can use external signals for FM and AM, which you have to supply though audio inputs. At least in FL, those are only available when you label a plugin as an effect.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments