Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
synthmagic
KVRian

939 posts since 6 Jan, 2011, from UK

Postby synthmagic; Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:18 am Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

'The maximum number of controls per control type has now been raised to 512'.
Does this update also increase the number of lines you can have in the on init call back?
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog, Logan Vocalist and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16481 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:20 pm Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

I don't think it relates to that at all. I didn't test, though. Never had an issue with overcrowding the init callback with too many lines (there are ways to solve initialization of a large number of control with a few arrays containing necessary control parameters, rather than using a line for each control par adjustment).
synthmagic
KVRian

939 posts since 6 Jan, 2011, from UK

Postby synthmagic; Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:10 am Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

Yes, I've used that at times(really cool technique).
I read some posts on VI about some limit being reached with number of lines, so I figured if they have increased the number of controls then maybe they have increased the line limit.

I was hoping for some new effects such as a ring mod or space echo type effects. Really hope when they release K6 is has some cool new effects and not loads more distortion type effects.
Cheers
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog, Logan Vocalist and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

25924 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:11 am Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

EvilDragon wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Add library feature will not return to Kontakt, it's all done with Native Access now.

And what happens now for those libraries where it doesnt work?

Rollback to 5.7.3 for the time being if you absolutely rely on those. NI is aware of the error and are working on a fix, we'll probably have 5.8.1 in due time.

EDIT: Actually, gotta rollback to 5.6.6.

So Ive got stuff that requires 5.6.8. Which you cant download directly.

So either I lose my old libraries or my new ones.

I could do with a bit more reassurance than 'probably in due time' to be honest. 'Definitely, and within N weeks or months' is the kind of thing one wants to hear, know what I mean?
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
rasmusklump
KVRian

801 posts since 13 May, 2004, from Germany

Postby rasmusklump; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 am Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

fmr wrote:NI makes some of the best virtual instruments in the market, they have one of the best "bang for the buck" packages in the market. They revolutionized the world of synthesis with Reaktor, and they revolutionized the world of sampling with Kontakt. Of course they deserve to be supported. What's your problem? :roll:

You really want to know what my problem is when I am forced to download 100s of GB through a tiny w-lan connection although they are already on the HD. And the workaround is to search outdated old software to install over the new one, and they don't even see a problem in that and don't want to change it ?. Can one say more clearly "f**k the customers" than N.I. ?
chk071
KVRAF

16054 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:30 am Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

Grumpy cat strikes again.

PlasticSoul
KVRist

320 posts since 11 Apr, 2004, from Brazil

Postby PlasticSoul; Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:03 am Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

rasmusklump wrote:
fmr wrote:NI makes some of the best virtual instruments in the market, they have one of the best "bang for the buck" packages in the market. They revolutionized the world of synthesis with Reaktor, and they revolutionized the world of sampling with Kontakt. Of course they deserve to be supported. What's your problem? :roll:

You really want to know what my problem is when I am forced to download 100s of GB through a tiny w-lan connection although they are already on the HD. And the workaround is to search outdated old software to install over the new one, and they don't even see a problem in that and don't want to change it ?. Can one say more clearly "f**k the customers" than N.I. ?

I agree, I reinstalled windows, I installed komplete 9 but had to downgrade kontakt to use old kontakt libraries. Weird support.
v1o
KVRian

1051 posts since 1 Oct, 2004

Postby v1o; Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:41 pm Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

Izak Synthiemental wrote:
Quasar wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Add library feature will not return to Kontakt, it's all done with Native Access now.

It will if enough people renounce the odious evil of Native Access and its mandatory intrusive online oversight of our private workstations.

NI's vile new CP scheme must be resisted until they feel financially compelled to restore an offline activation option and allow us to move our libraries at will without having to phone in.

BOYCOTT NATIVE INSTRUMENTS!

The following is not a rant, I own multiple NI products, have visited various great NI Sessions (Panel Talks) and generally think that NI is quite an innovative company that creates products that are in tune with the demand and needs of modern digital musicians!

Still, I will have to agree: it's generally a best practice to allow software to run offline, especially when it comes to software with a user base that includes professionals who 1. often use dedicated offline computers for audio / music related work and 2. need to be able to access their software under any circumstances. I would even prefer a dongle over this mandatory online scheme and despite being a fan of NI in general (after all Native Instruments was born and raised in my hometown), I think they took a wrong decision by going that online only route.

NI was probably thinking about cliche laptop producers and they were forgetting about those of us who prefer to use more powerful stationary computers in their studios, homestudios, garages or rehearsal rooms. In fact, I would argue that the level of professionals and semi-professionals among those who use dedicated stationary computers with no internet access is higher, than among those who make music on the same computer that they use for browsing, binge-surfing, watching nonsense on Youtube etc.

So, NI is basically abandoning the potentially more professional portion of it's user base by cutting them off from the ability to use the improved versions (of) and upcoming NI products. I have seen plenty of complaints, even on the NI forums, about this issue, but currently NI thinks that the percentage of people not being happy about their online-only policy is too little to be relevant. I wonder whether we need a petition to show how relevant this issue is!

Most high end professional creative software is going towards a subscription based revenue model. That includes all the majors of the creative industry like Autodesk, The Foundry, Adobe and Avid. And increasingly this software is now cloud based so that workers can move around and work from any location. For example a sound engineer doing location recording in Fiji or freelance recording an orchestra in a foreign studio. All that requires an online connection.

If you refuse to connect to the cloud you will cease to be competitive with other creative professionals. It’s called progress.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2
Timfonie
KVRian

1402 posts since 6 Jan, 2004, from Lowlands

Postby Timfonie; Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:17 pm Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

In 14 years time your brain will have to be implanted with some devices to enhance your capabilities and to connect you wirelessly to the internet and be part of a digital hive. If you refuse to connect to the cloud you will cease to be competitive with other creative professionals. It’s called progress.

Progress isn't always about quality of life. :roll:

Subscription models are OK as long as users are given a choice between either purchasing or renting software.
The problem is companies simply want to be in control of your expenditures to them. Therefore they want to have control over your computer so they can kind of blackmail you. I mean they can change anything of their liking and you will have to accept it. If you don't, they may stop the software from working.

Quasar wrote:Just because a computer workstation can be a globally-connected, interactive communications device does not in any way mean that it should be forced to be one.

Amen to that!
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.
Quasar
KVRist

36 posts since 25 Sep, 2004

Postby Quasar; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:12 pm Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

v1o wrote:Most high end professional creative software is going towards a subscription based revenue model. That includes all the majors of the creative industry like Autodesk, The Foundry, Adobe and Avid. And increasingly this software is now cloud based so that workers can move around and work from any location. For example a sound engineer doing location recording in Fiji or freelance recording an orchestra in a foreign studio. All that requires an online connection.

If you refuse to connect to the cloud you will cease to be competitive with other creative professionals. It’s called progress.

I'm well aware of this trend (but thanks for the educational narrative just the same). You can call it progress if you want to, though I prefer the term corporofascistic oppression. You say tomato, I say tomahto...

OTOH If the cloud-based stuff is offered as a choice I don't have a problem with it.
Michael
Quasar
KVRist

36 posts since 25 Sep, 2004

Postby Quasar; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:14 pm Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

Timfonie wrote:In 14 years time your brain will have to be implanted with some devices to enhance your capabilities and to connect you wirelessly to the internet and be part of a digital hive. If you refuse to connect to the cloud you will cease to be competitive with other creative professionals. It’s called progress.

Progress isn't always about quality of life. :roll:

Subscription models are OK as long as users are given a choice between either purchasing or renting software.
The problem is companies simply want to be in control of your expenditures to them. Therefore they want to have control over your computer so they can kind of blackmail you. I mean they can change anything of their liking and you will have to accept it. If you don't, they may stop the software from working.

Quasar wrote:Just because a computer workstation can be a globally-connected, interactive communications device does not in any way mean that it should be forced to be one.

Amen to that!

Well said. Great post!
Michael
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

2299 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:30 pm Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

AFAIK the only pro audio software that is subs-only is Adobe Audition, and perhaps not coincidentally nobody ever mentions that product online any more. I use legacy versions and love them, but there’s no way I’m subscribing for an eye-watering sum to update. All other uses of subs are options, and Adobe jumped many years ago with nobody following them (in pro audio). So it’s a little premature to call it an inevitable trend.

However, personally I don’t think it’s worth the endless fight to keep a rig offline though. IMO it’s harking back to the old days of analogue gear, by trying to maintain a steady state system, and that’s flawed thinking unless you are REALLY committed to not updating or adding anything, ever. You just have to resign yourself to either a) facing the problems of buggy updates / viruses etc, or b) facing the problems of being unconnected, and neither is trivial. Native Access sure won’t be the last brick wall you’ll run into if you stay offline. By all means start campaigns with everyone, but that’s the future you are committing to by staying offline imo. While subs are not an inevitable trend, online registration is (again, IMO).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
pinki
KVRian

595 posts since 2 Nov, 2006

Postby pinki; Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:19 am Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

EvilDragon wrote:Looks like you're the only one who's outraged, then. Meanwhile, the Earth is still spinning and great majority of people continue making music while being always up to date and online while at it. So feel free to continue being Don Quijote, but it's getting really annoying already.

Well 4 pages on and your singling out of this person as some sort of mad man looks unfounded...seems he's not the only one after all.

Sometimes you come across as an N.I fanboy and it's getting really annoying...to use one of your phrases.

People have genuine problems with this shift to online only...they should be allowed to air those views in a forum without being insulted.
kelvyn
KVRian

1012 posts since 9 Mar, 2008, from netherlands

Postby kelvyn; Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 am Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

Personal experience has taught me that progress - and in this case for some, progress is a cloud or subscription service - is a double edged sword dangling over our workstations held fast only by Damocles horse hairs... As a professional with clients who have very strict deadlines due to commercial time being booked for tv and radio ads and most productions having to be finished ‘yesterday’ there can be no downtime, if I miss a deadline that’s me out of the loop with that client, ad agency and film production company. Budgets are tight and the competition are standing in line willing to do the job I get paid for, for nothing, just to get their foot in the door. Reliability as well as talent is key to longevity in my business and cloudfs and subscription services I have learnt cannot guarantee the same kind of reliability that pre installed software does. I lost a client recently due to me missing a deadline because my Slate subscription went loopy and they couldn’t solve the problem in time for me to finish the mix with other plugins. I live in the real world with real world problems and I’m not so sure we’ve progressed enough when it comes to clouds and subscriptions. So Mr hardcore progress chappie should think a little longer before making such short sighted statements. I mean look what’s going on at Adobe at the moment... wouldn’t want to be locked into their model right now.
Aloysius
KVRAF

21745 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:13 am Re: Kontakt updated to 5.8.0

progress is a cloud or subscription service

:lol:
Impeach 64. Keep 32-bit Plug-ins alive.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments