Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
shonky
KVRian

678 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Postby shonky; Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:18 pm Icarus 1.6 Beta released

Posted this in the 1.5 thread but thought as the Tone2 deals is on today that anyone that's interested can try the new beta too - public beta to is now available:

The update to v1.6 is a big update, which is available for free. It includes new resynthesis modes, additonal effects, a better user interface, enhanced sound and a large number of new features. Icarus 1.6 is downward compatible with all previous versions. All existing song projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary. They will benefit from the enhanced sound quality.

The Mac version will be available in some weeks.

-----------------

Installation (PC):

1) Download and install Icarus v1.5: https://www.tone2.com/Tone2_Icarus.zip
2) Download the patch to 1.6 beta https://www.tone2.com/update/Tone2_Icar ... eta_PC.zip
2) Replace Icarus.dll (32 bit) or IcarusX64.dll (64 bit) in the Vstplugins directory

-------------

New features:

- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis smart pitch snap' drastically enhances the sound quality of the resynthesis function. You can select a wav file and it automatically creates a synthesizer patch which syncs to BPM.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis of melody' is a groundbreaking feature. It can import complete phrases or melodies in wav format. It automaticaly programs a patch that sounds very similar to the original. It reprograms the melody in the arpeggiator. Futhermore it creates a wavetable with the harmonic content of the patch. The patches can further be tweaked, time streched or modified.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis with dynamic pitch' can import a wave. It automatically creates a patch which sounds similar to the original one. This mode does aly analyse the pitch information of the patch and programs the STEP lfo with a pitch envelope.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Beat slice drumlop' cuts a sample into 16 or 32 waveforms and creates a patch with plays a BPM synced loop
- New effect: 'Reverb Gated' which syncs to the BPM rate. It works best for drum sounds or arpeggiators
- New effect: 'Reverb Gated Echo' is Gated Reverb with a delay which syncs to BPM
- new effect: 'Reverb Reverse' which syncs to the BPM rate
- new effect: 'Reverb Decay' which syncs to the BPM rate
- The patch browser shows a scrollbar if more than 26 categories exist
- 'Shift notes up' shifts the notes in the arpeggiator one halftone up
- 'Shift notes down' shifts the notes in the arpeggiator one halftone down
- 'rotate 1 slot left' rotates the notes in the arpeggiator
- 'rotate 1 slot right' rotates the notes in the arpeggiator
- The morph kob now shows the number of quantized steps
- The wavetable editor shows a large slider with a grid if modifiers with 'value' are edited
- Osc->Tool 'Resynthesis smart snap'
- Wavetable editor->Spectrum->'Sort by brightness' sorts waveforms by their harmonic content. It can be used to create wobbles
- Wavetable editor->Resynthesis->'Resynthesis smart snap'
- Wavetable editor->Mix->'Fade in'
- Wavetable editor->Mix->'Fade out'
- Wabetable editor->Phase->'Rotate' shifts the phase of all selected waveforms
- XX additional patches (still not included)

Enhancements:

- Slightly enhanced sound quality of 'Import Sample'->'Create patch: Resynthesis...'
- More smart path selection on PC for loading/saving
- Enhanced performance of some knobs, especially the LFO sends
- The knobs MORPH, FADE, WAVE, PHASE do not longer switch the LFO
- A hand symbol is shown for text-style parameters which can be altered with the mouse
- Enhanced sound of 'Reverb Medium', 'Reverb Real', 'Reverb Trance' especially for for small sizes
- Enhanced sound of 'Formant Cross' morphmode
- Enhanced sound of 'Vocoder' morphmode
- Slightly enhanced sound of 'Reverb Big' and 'Reverb Infinity' with reduced low frequency rumble
- Wavetable editor is more easy and comfortable to use
- Undo function now also works with arpeggiator, fx tool, matrix tool, eq tool and filter tool menu
- Reduced a click when routing a saw lfo to WAVE
- Better default effect settings for Ensemble, Reverb Dark, Delay Fat, Delay Pingpong, Delay Diffuse, Delay Band

Bug fixes:

- Modulation depth of knobs could have been incorrect if matrix target was switched
- Removed wrong up/down arrows in the STEP LFO
Stefken
KVRian

529 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Postby Stefken; Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:09 am Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

Interesting. I'll check it out. Icarus is still my favorite wavetable synth....
fisherKing
KVRAF

1719 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Postby fisherKing; Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:06 am Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

icarus is my fave tone2 synth (i've owned most of them). just waiting for the mac version...
always one plugin short of perfection...
zvenx
KVRAF

6545 posts since 16 Feb, 2005, from Kingston, Jamaica

Postby zvenx; Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:13 am Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

fisherKing wrote:icarus is my fave tone2 synth (i've owned most of them). just waiting for the mac version...

+1
I own all of them (except Rayblaster update to 2).
The only two I have ever used in production was my first one Gladiator 2 and my last one Icarus.
And by far my favourite tone2 synth is Icarus.. just sounds leaps and bounds better than the rest of them to me.

Looking forward to the mac update too.
rsp
pdxindy
KVRAF

13705 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:25 am Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

Also looking forward to the Mac update...
Feelshallright
KVRist

101 posts since 10 Sep, 2017

Postby Feelshallright; Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:12 pm Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

Tone2 are doing frequent great updates lately.
goldenanalog
KVRAF

1567 posts since 7 Dec, 2005, from somewhere between analog and digital

Postby goldenanalog; Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 pm Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

Thanks, shonky!

Good post - This was a strong deal - the imminent 1.6 release was the tipping point for me.

- GA
shonky
KVRian

Postby shonky; Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 pm Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

goldenanalog wrote:Thanks, shonky!

Good post - This was a strong deal - the imminent 1.6 release was the tipping point for me.

- GA

No problem, as another KVR user said, this has been available for a month but it seemed to pass me by as I don't really check the Tone2 forums, so figured others would like to know if they'd missed it too. Looking forward to giving the beta a try this morning.
fisherKing
KVRAF

1719 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Postby fisherKing; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:25 am Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

when the mac beta happens, someone post here! (& i hope that happens soon)...
always one plugin short of perfection...
nordickvr
KVRian

906 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Postby nordickvr; Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:32 am Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

fisherKing wrote:when the mac beta happens, someone post here! (& i hope that happens soon)...

From Tone 2's FB. (as of April 14 2018.)
Q - Any news for the Mac version?
A - Maybe in two or three weeks.
pdxindy
KVRAF

Postby pdxindy; Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 am Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

anyone tried the new import options? (waiting for Mac version)
shonky
KVRian

Postby shonky; Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:35 pm Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

pdxindy wrote:anyone tried the new import options? (waiting for Mac version)

Gave them a quick try out this morning using some of my own wavs but found the melodic samples didn't quite translate to the arpeggiator (admittedly they were rather detuned and the material was quite noisy). Think it will probably require fairly clearly detailed notes and some more experimentation to try and find which material works so I'll report back when I have a clearer picture.
pdxindy
KVRAF

Postby pdxindy; Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:23 pm Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

shonky wrote:

Gave them a quick try out this morning using some of my own wavs but found the melodic samples didn't quite translate to the arpeggiator (admittedly they were rather detuned and the material was quite noisy). Think it will probably require fairly clearly detailed notes and some more experimentation to try and find which material works so I'll report back when I have a clearer picture.

Thanks!
Stefken
KVRian

Postby Stefken; Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 pm Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

shonky wrote:

Same here. First try was quite disapointing but i did not do the effort to select my source wav. I used a vocal and a stab chord.

I will try with more simple material later on.
Stefken
KVRian

Postby Stefken; Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:35 am Re: Icarus 1.6 Beta released

I did a few extra tests on the "Resynthesis smart pitch snap" and to some extent on the "Resynthesis with dynamic pitch".
The results vary a lot on the source material.

I had some good results on quite simple key and lead sounds where the Resynthesis smart pitch snap has more depth and bottom than the Resynthesis with static pitch, which sounds quite dull in comparison.

With analog basses or pads with a pronounced filter envelope, the results were very poor and didn't resemble the sample at all.
I can only rely on this one line of explanation, regarding what the function does > "'Resynthesis smart pitch snap' drastically enhances the sound quality of the resynthesis function. So, not much of an explanation here.

But don't expect to import any sample and to get a perfect resynthesis as a result. It seems to work best with quite simple material with limited modulation, where it gives a better result than Resynthesis with static pitch.
But Resynthesis with static pitch can handle more complex source material with pronounced filter envelopes and such.
Next

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments