really terrible old sounds wanted

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Visit your local charity shop ...

Russell Grand wrote:Too much ganging up on WAG, too little advice for the OP...
And I don't even know where this one came from. I made one post. M1 or Wavestation. That's it. So I was right. People here just love to start trouble. Finally, people can see that it isn't me.

wagtunes wrote:
timwest wrote:
layzer wrote:
timwest wrote: Surprisingly, some of the patches sounded great when you ran them through a reverb and delay.
bingo! omni with effects disabled will get you there!
Can't say I've ever used or even heard Omnisphere before. Why is it so bad? :P Isn't it just like an all rounder synth?
He's taking cheap shots at one of the most widely used synths in cinema and television because he thinks he can get a million dollar sound out of Synth1 and a $10 effect.

In short, just ignore him.
dont make me show everyone that i can produce something with Synth1 and a $10 effect that sounds way better than anything you can make with your omnibloat and 500 other commercial vsti's... don't go there.......
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: dont make me show everyone that i can produce something with Synth1 and a $10 effect that sounds way better than anything you can make with your omnibloat and 500 other commercial vsti's... don't go there.......
Oh please show us.....do go there.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think my Toy Keyboard is suited for the job:

https://www.samplescience.ca/2016/08/toy-keyboard.html

And it's free.

You could always sample some of the really crappy 1980s hits with all the utterly dire DX7 presets that didn't sound remotely like what the patch names alleged they were meant to be and which have left 50% of 80s hits sounding more dated than they would if they'd been played on clavichords and crumhorns with Cistercian monks doing the vocals.

</rant>

(and, okay, if anyone wants to use the last part in a new project, feel free...)
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Jesus Christ, this thread is starting to resemble a school-yard. Let's be civil please.

Gotta love the Cistercian monks..... but crumhorns.... that's just BAD. (In its day DX7 was a cool keyboard)

Anyways all my tracks sound like shit lately...... so just PM me if you want one. ;-)

And be nice everyone. For the love of MUSIC!!!!

To answer the OP, there's a fantastic DX7 emulation called Dexed. Loads the sysex, even. It can make some wonderful sounds but it can also make some really cheesy ones. Search for the sysex packs, the factory set has plenty of material.

Also, look at the public domain videos on archive.org and sample them. I've been mining 60s documentaries on synthesizers for noisy waveforms, it's great. Load it into a free SFZ instrument and off you go.

And RC-20 is an excellent way of dialing in the stereotypical 80s VHS sound on pretty much anything, but make it subtle and it adds just the right sheen.

I'd suggest that you can get these sort of sounds out of stock plugins pretty easily with a bit of work. Find an analog(ish) synth, route a gentle LFO to fine pitch and then use another LFO (gently again) to modulate the first LFO so this will give you some of the VHS warbling type sounds. Use some saturation/drive to give it that "into the red" recording sound and lopass the sound to take out any of that modern digital harshness.

Probably one of the best ways to find awful sounds to use these techniques on is to have a quick browse through the original library presets of those stock synths, searching for brass, leads, guitars and any other cheesy sound-unalike instruments that pretty much nobody uses for purposes other than when they're trying to emulate awful synth presets of bygone eras.

Edit: Might also be worth looking at using some impulses from old 80s tech in a convolution reverb if you have one (if not think Peavey do one but can't remember the name) as the shorter impulses will work as filters rather than spaces and give you a more realistic retro experience).

Teksonik wrote:
layzer wrote: dont make me show everyone that i can produce something with Synth1 and a $10 effect that sounds way better than anything you can make with your omnibloat and 500 other commercial vsti's... don't go there.......
Oh please show us.....do go there.
Yes indeed, please please please do! :lol:

It's not about the sound source, it's mostly about the effects:

..and some cheapish metallic reverb should to the trick.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

thecontrolcentre wrote:Visit your local charity shop ...

I wonder if it had polyphonic aftertouch...

I do have a Casio VL-Tone still. That was fun.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Return to “Instruments”