New Rob Papen synth : Go2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Go2

Go2 shares a lot of features with Predator but is simplifying some things. More Unison modes a bit different organization of the spectral waveforms. Maybe I have not found it, but there is no extra EQ.
Predator has a lot more filter modes.. but do you really need a "Comp positive" and "Comp negative" filter?
Predator has something about 28 effects, Go2 has 5(?)
I think the synth engine is the same and the idea was more to make the GUI a bit more compact and easier to use instead of creating a completely new and never seen before synth.
Anyway, it's a good and not expensive synth and fills IMO a gap in the Rob Papen synth line.

That review suggests it is capitalizing on Predator 2 ground work and fundamentals. Maybe Predator 2 did not see as many sales as would have been liked and this maxmimizes income vs work required. A good plan, a big part of Predator 2 sound without the heavier outlay.

Soft synths now have a very high quality standard, the bar has now been set high. Almost everything has been covered very well. You may have to own many synths to get the very best of each type of synthesis but who is complaining at soft synth prices ?

Regarding synths I have everything I need. Anything more is pure luxury.

In my opinion Go2 has much clearer UI than Predator2.
Many people may have skipped updating to Predator2 because of that - me included.

I spent yesterday afternoon going through the presets, tweaking a few and saving them out and I was really happy that I'd got some massive sounds out of it...

… until I loaded it into the song I'm currently working on and discovered that it actually sounds quite weak. I eventually got something working OK but I was surprised at how easily it was gobbled up by the rest of the mix, when I'd expected I'd have to rein it in.

Still, it's a nice simple, clear concept and I've mostly worked out how to use it without having to resort to the manual but I may have to read up on that ping-pong ball thingie to find out exactly what it can do. The filters aren't fantastic but they are capable enough for most things. They remind me of the first version of LinPlug Cronox, except they aren't nearly as bad as that was. They just seem to need very fine control.

For $50 I think it's pretty good value and it has quite a different sound to the other synths we use, so it will definitely get some use, I think, even if it's palette isn't as broad as our actual Go-To synths. (The name actually makes me think of XTC's second album.) They need to fix that flashing GUI problem, though.
Last edited by BONES on Wed May 16, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:They need to fix that flashing GUI problem, though.
I wonder if you mean the same symptom that I ran into earlier? After moving a control around for awhile, it will sort of flash the GUI (sort of like the plugin has a hiccup) and the audio usually stops for me also when that happens.

That's the one. It's been mentioned a few times.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

A few people have mentioned the lack of a demo for this thing but apparently you can get a demo version from Plugin Boutique.

I've had the demo since it was released. Found on Rob Papen's site:

https://www.robpapen.com/go2.html
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

BONES wrote:A few people have mentioned the lack of a demo for this thing but apparently you can get a demo version from Plugin Boutique.
Another reason to use Chrome :hihi:

Well, after the 'impulse buy' feeling has gone completely, I went through my list of the installed synths (Massive, Dune 2, Sylenth1, Largo etc.). I wonder now why I bought Go2! As the one page wasn't the main reason for me! Oh,I remember now! synth greed!

Examigan wrote:
BONES wrote:They need to fix that flashing GUI problem, though.
I wonder if you mean the same symptom that I ran into earlier? After moving a control around for awhile, it will sort of flash the GUI (sort of like the plugin has a hiccup) and the audio usually stops for me also when that happens.
I think i know what you mean and my guess is that it might have something to do with the VST version because i noticed that it frequently happened with older plugins whereas newer plugins, in the same host, would behave normally. (However the host itself definitely has something to do with it too because with some hosts the problem doesnt occur in the first place and with VSTHost the problem did exist but completely vanished after the last update.)

At any rate, if we are really talking about the same thing (plugin UI sorta freezes after clicking and holding a control for a few seconds) then there is sort of a 'per-session' fix for that. When you open the plugin UI, and you click and hold a control, and the UI does its freezing thing, keep holding the control for a while longer. (Ive never timed it but 10 to 15 seconds from the moment it freezes should suffice.) When you then let go of the mouse and the UI 'unfreezes' it should not freeze again until you close and reopen it.

Obviously not a perfect solution but at least it helps a little.

EnGee wrote:Another reason to use Chrome :hihi:
I hadn't looked for it at all, I bought it after hearing a couple of demo tracks, so it wouldn't have mattered what browser I was using. But I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in this thread, or maybe the other Go2 thread, so I thought I'd mention it after my bandmate got hold of the demo.

I've already used it in the song I'm working on at the moment so it's already paid for itself as far as I'm concerned. I quite like the sound, it's very different to Wasp, DUNE 2, The Legend or any of my hardware so it's bound to get more use.

Maybe it was reported already, but I just noticed the Waveform and Mode for the LFO have their labels mixed up. It even shows it that way in the manual. The version I have is 1.0.0a.
LFO.jpg
EDIT: I just saw there is an update which fixes this. Downloading now... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Examigan on Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Examigan wrote:Maybe it was reported already, but I just noticed the Waveform and Mode for the LFO have their labels mixed up. It even shows it that way in the manual. The version I have is 1.0.0a.
LFO.jpg
Wow! I missed that one. Good catch!
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Just lovin this synth..

There are many waveforms to select from, but AFAIK there isn't a way to load your own, unless I missed something in the last 10 pages here? I checked the manual and didn't find a way to do it.

Return to “Instruments”