Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
progtronic
KVRian

516 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Postby progtronic; Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:30 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

I ... HAVE ... VOTED

TheNeverScene
KVRist

424 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Postby TheNeverScene; Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:39 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

progtronic wrote:I ... HAVE ... VOTED

Not helping my growling stomach AT ALL! Time for some microwaved dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets :/
Tj Shredder
KVRian

776 posts since 6 Jan, 2017, from Outer Space

Postby Tj Shredder; Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:23 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

This picture is disgusting, especially in the contest of Crust!

Crust is not fast food, its gourmet and exotic...
I was blown away by the quality of sound design in this round. By far the best of any OSC I listened through completely...
Huge variety in sound and styles, it seems to have inspired the best in each participant. And that with the maybe most unispiring user interface, maybe because you have to close your eyes, which helps to listen...; - )
It was tough to vote. I could not give a single 2...

I would love to see a page with all those presets which had been created for this round. There is still a lot to learn...
Schiing, you created the most realistic orchestra imaginable as pure synthesis, who needs Komplete if you got Crust and the skills to make it shine???
I loved the tibetan homeland, d34dmeats indian drones, the unbeatable high energy of Progtronic - scary and fun if you just suck it and let it make you dance to it, the bass of the Burnt Toast just feeds my desire for more bass, Neverscenes Metal trance just introduced me to a genre I didn't know before...

I am missing ] Peter H ['s plastic chairs in the list of submissions!
doctorbob
KVRian

1108 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:42 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

Glad everyone hears the awesomeness in these tracks! To be fair I have used the whole range (2-5) - but nothing sucks! As usual Jasinski has provided the seminal track - but - I still think that for sheer power, percussion composition and execution, other tracks might just pip him to the final post!

Here's hoping that Eugene grabs some of these tracks to add to his demos of his most wonderful synth!

I have done my preliminary vote. More listens, more comments, and some tinkering of the ranks before the 16th though.

dB
progtronic
KVRian

516 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Postby progtronic; Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:02 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

Tj Shredder wrote:This picture is disgusting, especially in the contest of Crust!

The picture I posted isn't intended to represent the synth of the month.

It is, however.. related to voting. Burgers and beer is an integral part of my highly specialized voting process. :P
schiing
KVRist

147 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Postby schiing; Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

Tj Shredder wrote:I was blown away by the quality of sound design in this round. By far the best of any OSC I listened through completely...

Agreed! Feels like I say this every month, but this was my favourite round too. A shoutout to evko[es]'s "Osc Crust 5 Draft Draft Draft 2" (catchy title! :lol: ) as well. Not as flashy as some of the other submissions, but it has a great sound and is a wonderful little leftfield mood piece.

Tj Shredder wrote:I could not give a single 2...

Same here. :clap:

Tj Shredder wrote:Schiing, you created the most realistic orchestra imaginable as pure synthesis, who needs Komplete if you got Crust and the skills to make it shine???

Thanks so much! The strings required a liberal amount of reverb to pass, but horns and orchestral perc sounded surprisingly realistic even dry. Yeah, definitely sold on Crust.
] Peter:H [
KVRian

547 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:44 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

Tj Shredder wrote:I am missing ] Peter H ['s plastic chairs in the list of submissions!

Hey Tj, it's completely as intended. The plastic chairs was just me fiddling with Bitwig to check out how much I can do with Bitwig Tools (like Auto Chord-Creation, Diatonic Transposer) and a bit of BlueArp to create me a single finger Orchestra...I used Crust for it, but actually Crust and me won't become friends...

Anyway - I've uploaded the track as "Not a submission" because I'm so enthusastic about what Bitwig can do and I wanted to share that with you guys.

Looking forward to voting.

---

If anyone is interested, please let me know, I can share the Bitwig Project file...then you can have your own single finger orchestra...;-)
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tj Shredder
KVRian

Postby Tj Shredder; Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:46 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

progtronic wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:This picture is disgusting, especially in the contest of Crust!

The picture I posted isn't intended to represent the synth of the month.

It is, however.. related to voting. Burgers and beer is an integral part of my highly specialized voting process. :P

Whoever is able to create such complex powerful music has the license to post whatever picture he likes... ; - )
Tj Shredder
KVRian

Postby Tj Shredder; Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:55 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

] Peter:H [ wrote:Anyway - I've uploaded the track as "Not a submission" because I'm so enthusastic about what Bitwig can do and I wanted to share that with you guys.

If anyone is interested, please let me know, I can share the Bitwig Project file...then you can have your own single finger orchestra...;-)

Bitwig rocks (except for its MPE implementation, but they are working on it...).
I made one sound with crust and mapped aftertouch and cc74 of my Linnstrument to the bend parameter to get the most natural brass I ever heard from any softsynth. It was a snap... I didn't use the filter at all...
But it was like a lucky accident, I did not intend to make a brass sound, it just happened to be...
You will never need a dedicated mod matrix in any synth, Bitwig will deliver it anyway...
Frostline
KVRist

308 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Postby Frostline; Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:39 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

Inspired by liqih in last month's OSC I have developed my own personal voting system.
So there is a method behind the cryptic comments people will shortly be getting (or have already gotten) on their tracks.
It consists of four categories.
B is for bonus. Basically I wanted a way to reward and acknowledge those who follow the rules of the competition.
S is for sound design. Are the sounds interesting, well crafted, varied and do they "fit" overall in the piece as I hear it.
M is mixing. The clarity of the mix, the use of sound space and how well the sounds blend together for a cohesive whole.
F is for feeling. How much I like the piece overall, is it something I would listen to for enjoyment outside the competition and/or is it a track I wish I could someday make something similar to.
Each category has a max score of 5 and then the sum of the categories is divided by 4 where <=.50 rounds down for the score assigned on the voting page.
Participants may feel free to delete the comment and contact me if they do not wish the score comment to be made in the future on their tracks.
I look at it as a quick way of providing more specific feedback over the single score on the voting page but I understand if one does not share that opinion.
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700
schiing
KVRist

147 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Postby schiing; Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:59 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

Frostline wrote:Inspired by liqih in last month's OSC I have developed my own personal voting system.

Nice - seems like a good system. I'm mostly going with my gut, but I'll definitely keep your "feeling" vs "technique" aspect in mind in the future - in the end I've probably graded technique higher than feeling so far, but it doesn't always feel right to me. But it's reeally hard to deduct points from works that the producer obviously spent dozens, if not hundreds, of hours on.
1eqinfinity
KVRist

189 posts since 29 Apr, 2012

Postby 1eqinfinity; Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:30 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

Guys, I want to thank you all for such a great fun!
It's quite a feeling - listening to a diverse set of awesome tracks and realizing that they were done with the instrument you've build. :phones:
While listening I found myself amazed many times by the variety of sounds and creative approaches, really. It's like a long walk across a wonderful landscape, if you now what I mean ;)
Thank you! :)

PS: I saw messages about the old presets not being restored in the newer builds. It would be great if you could leave a message in the main Crust thread. It should be enough to provide the version of Crust with which the preset was made.
rockingricky
KVRist

66 posts since 18 Jan, 2010, from Germany

Postby rockingricky; Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:40 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

Voted!

I'm surprised (as in any month :wink: ) what extraordinary sonic performances you/we can create with a piece of software :clap:

But - as often mentioned here - Crust is a very astonishing and remarkable soft synth with a promising future.

Thanks for it, Eugene!
Eauson
KVRian

711 posts since 8 Jan, 2013, from morf

Postby Eauson; Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:09 am Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

[Edited/ never mind :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face
theseth
KVRer

9 posts since 28 Jun, 2006, from germany

Postby theseth; Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

i voted.

and it was fun to listen to all the amazing tracks.

:tu:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments