One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Voted.

At work the voting page works, but Soundcloud.com is blocked so I can't make comments. Not that I would be listening and voting at work. I would never do that. Anyway, some comments:

Dr. Bob - Love this style from you.
Eauson - Really dig your track and your style in general. Back up your hard drive!
Whoever did "Draft Draft Draft 2" (or something) - That glitchy washy groove kills.

Ahh there's more, now completely blocked. dang. :(

Anyway, lots of great percussion work on the tracks. Impressive. Finally, I must be doing something wrong, my burnt toast doesn't inspire or provoke such an intense reaction ;)

bh9090 wrote:
Dr. Bob - Love this style from you.
Eauson - Really dig your track and your style in general. Back up your hard drive!

)
Hey, many thanks hennessey,
Plus 1 on Dr bob

:)
Last edited by Eauson on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Voted.

Voted.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

vvvvvvo-vo-vo-voted.

Voted.

Seems to be a great synth for a lot of sounds. Love those formants! Although kicks are a bit weak throughout.

Have a nice day, y'all.
Greetings
Ruedi

Vo-TED

This is probably the second time that I've voted with a set of monitors. This set has a sub and unfortunately I had to turn it off to get through the start of the voting.

However, I had to turn it back on halfway through Progtronic's piece... Every time he enters I'm shocked at what a blessing it is that he's here to inspire us all.

The mind opening entries are deeply appreciated. Please continue to push the limits of our experience of life, with this most versatile of instruments. :clap: :love:
quick, _ake what you want in life

574X wrote:This is probably the second time that I've voted with a set of monitors. This set has a sub and unfortunately I had to turn it off to get through the start of the voting.
I suspect that I was one of the culprits there. I'm jealous - I'm working without a sub at the moment, and I'm basically fumbling in the dark below 200Hz - analytical tools can only get you so far.

The advantage is that everyone else working without a sub and overcompensating, as I fear I'm doing, gets the benefit of the doubt from me. :hihi:
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Cranking it in my car on the way to work works for me, although this does carry risks of ear damage :)

schiing wrote: Ifumbling in the dark below 200Hz - analytical tools can only get you so far.

The advantage is that everyone else working without a sub and overcompensating, as I fear I'm doing, gets the benefit of the doubt from me. :hihi:
How about a pair of speakers that cost 5 euro from a dechetterie/tip/dump?
Although they are surprisingly better than my previous ones :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote:How about a pair of speakers that cost 5 euro from a dechetterie/tip/dump?
Better than the €2 ones from the tip then? :hihi:
dB

574X wrote:This is probably the second time that I've voted with a set of monitors. This set has a sub and unfortunately I had to turn it off to get through the start of the voting.

However, I had to turn it back on halfway through Progtronic's piece... Every time he enters I'm shocked at what a blessing it is that he's here to inspire us all.

The mind opening entries are deeply appreciated. Please continue to push the limits of our experience of life, with this most versatile of instruments. :clap: :love:
Please be aware that monitors and sub is only half the deal, especially for low freq content your room needs to have acoustical treatment like with bass traps - without you might suffer from (don't know how to put it in correct english) "standing/amplified waves" in one place and extinction in other places in your listening room. And this effect might be when you just move your head some half meter out of the sweet spot....that might lead to horrible mix decisions. One thing could be decent headphones and testing the mix on different speakers and different listening situations like ear buds, mobile phone, car, tv set, ...
Anyway...as I mentioned in a post above...I wish that some people would have used some spectrum analysers...because on some entrie I missed a well balanced spectrum...they were kind of dull. Sure we're dealing with music and nothing is better than your ears...but analytical tools might show to your eyes that there's something worng. My current track for instance suffers from a dent in the mids where usually the vocals sit...and everybody is complaining and actually I can "see it".

Speaking of Bass in general : Please keep your bass clean and mono (GStereo plugin if you go for free plugin, or use Meldaprodcution StrereoProcessor if you can spend some money). I mean don't do sophisticated chords in low registers, just go for octaves, use clean waves...and don't don't overuse chorus or other fx suff...if you like even pitch your basedrum to the current base note...all togehter will give a clear low end.
Please listen for instance to DarkSynthFX #112 entry...what a nice low end of the arp synth, and be it delibrate or not the basedrum has been put out of the way...that was a clever decision: https://soundcloud.com/darksynth-fx/dar ... zing-again
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doctorbob wrote:
Eauson wrote:How about a pair of speakers that cost 5 euro from a dechetterie/tip/dump?
Better than the €2 ones from the tip then? :hihi:
dB
They were 10€, I think?, I use therm as stands for the 5€ ones, saying that ,they are a set of RAM studio monitors with Audax speakers from the 70's. I've also got some weird ones made from Concorde type material which are round and were developed for the French music industry :D, too wary of destroying them to use them though :)

Eauson wrote: How about a pair of speakers that cost 5 euro from a dechetterie/tip/dump?
You must be doing something right, then, because your Synth1 track sounds excellent! I guess the most important thing is to understand the weaknesses of your gear - I got by (more or less - some would argue against that) with a pair of crappy computer speakers from 1994 for 15 years.

My intuition is totally off - I always start out (and often end up) with waaaay too much bass and kick. I have a couple of 5'' Yamaha monitors in front and two regular floorspeakers behind me, with a 6.5'' woofer and 6.5'' midrange, adjusted to hopefully give me some clue about the bass until I get a sub.

But yeah, Peter, moving around in the room gives widely different results from different angles. I also listen through a pair of neutral studio headphones (DT-100), Koss PortaPros and a Como Solo in the bathroom - to hopefully help keep me in the ballpark. But it's tricky.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Return to “Instruments”