Quanta - A new granular synth from Audio Damage (Now available)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Quanta 2

zerocrossing wrote:I finally had a chance to give it a run through. I love the sound and concept. MPE support is a double bonus... but I'm getting quite a lot of pops and clicks and it doesn't seem to be related to how much CPU it's eating. I'll wait on this for now, but hopefully there will be an update that fixes things.
According to the manual there are some settings that may produce clicks and ways to get around that, too. Maybe it is related to that? Sorry for not being more precise. :D

jsp1979 wrote:It's really "fiddly" to put in the modulations. Tedious, unfortunately.
Yeah it's kinda annoying how the screen keeps scrolling vertically (even if only a little bit) when trying to drag the mod amounts horizontally.

What would be better would be if vertical scrolling were disabled as soon as the screen senses that you're primarily moving your finger horizontally, similarly to how Safari works on the iPhone when scrolling across zoomed-in text. Future update, perhaps?

Modulation matrix is way too zoomed in, would be nice to have different zoom levels in the settings so you can get a better overview of what's going on.

[edit] Or at least if you could scroll with the scroll wheel... having to use the scrollbar makes it extra tedious.

Prajch wrote: [edit] Or at least if you could scroll with the scroll wheel... having to use the scrollbar makes it extra tedious.
I've thought that, too. Changing the mod amounts with the mouse wheel seems like a cool feature on paper, but I'd rather scroll through the matrix.

'I'd rather scroll through the matrix.' .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :D

Prajch wrote:Modulation matrix is way too zoomed in, would be nice to have different zoom levels in the settings so you can get a better overview of what's going on.
It doesn't really bother me, but if it bothers many, one possible option for doing this would be to have all the modulation destinations (i.e., rows in the matrix) collapsed by default, so as to display more of them within the space given. "Collapsed" could mean smaller font for the mod name, and then either numbers only or bars only to show the mod depth, not both. Then, once a parameter is tapped (either in the synth GUI or in the matrix), that parameter expands in the matrix to give more room to adjust the mod depths, and collapses again once another parameter has been selected.
Last edited by themagicalkamja on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demoversion is now possible
:tu:

fabi wrote:
Prajch wrote: 'I'd rather scroll through the matrix.' .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :D
In Russia, the matrix scrolls you. :ud:

mevla wrote:
fabi wrote:
Prajch wrote: 'I'd rather scroll through the matrix.' .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :D
In Russia, the matrix scrolls you. :ud:
:hihi:

Really enjoying quanta so far. Chris Carter presets to boot...

Bought this yesterday since it supports MPE and is on sale, sounds good but the preset system is ridiculous, you have to load the whole browser page every time you want to change one preset, then go back to the main screen, there is no actual menu or arrows to move through them.

aMUSEd wrote:Bought this yesterday since it supports MPE and is on sale, sounds good but the preset system is ridiculous, you have to load the whole browser page every time you want to change one preset, then go back to the main screen, there is no actual menu or arrows to move through them.
One of my gripes with it, too...

I'm just going to have to transfer it all into Komplete Kontrol so I can get proper preset management

Quanta with Seaboard :phones:

(I'm not a fan of the clicking. something AD needs to fix perhaps)

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/qu ... eld-theory

aMUSEd wrote:I'm just going to have to transfer it all into Komplete Kontrol so I can get proper preset management
OK first step is complete, I've created a NKS version (inc NKS integration files and thumbnails) - made 2 templates one with MPE support (since it seems to be savable per preset).

All files in the NKS User Library (in my sig)

However tbh I'm not 100% sure MPE is working properly in Komplete Kontrol, I was originally going to make MPE versions of all patches but need t test it further, eg pitch bend override doesn't seem to be doing anything for me in KK. Might be something it doesn't support yet.

I emailed support about the clicking, this was their response:

"Granular synthesis in general, and Quanta in particular, isn’t really for rapid playing or 'Jump' chord comping; if you get in to a note stealing situation, you’re going to hear a slight click when the voice gets stolen. The solution is to play slower, basically."

Thing is, I'm getting the clicks when I play more than one note at a time, which is the main point of MPE---being able to assign different pitch bend and pressure values to simultaneously played notes.

I haven't really noticed any clicking with Biotek 2's granular synthesis.

Is it possible to filter out the clicking live, in real time, without major latency and without removing too much of the signal?

Ou_Tis wrote:I emailed support about the clicking, this was their response:

"Granular synthesis in general, and Quanta in particular, isn’t really for rapid playing or 'Jump' chord comping; if you get in to a note stealing situation, you’re going to hear a slight click when the voice gets stolen. The solution is to play slower, basically."
Yeah, thats a bullsh-- response from them. they need to fix the clicking and not force players to change because they wont take responsibility for a coding issue. :dog:

I just emailed them with a complaint and asking when it will be fixed. I suggest you do the same if you have the same issue. They obviously dont consider it a issue on their end, when of course it is. :dog:

My recommendation is not to buy it until this issue is fixed because it reduces it's effectiveness as an instument to near zero. :dog:
Last edited by plexuss on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”