Quanta - A new granular synth from Audio Damage (Now available)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Quanta 2

Stefken wrote:Anyone could enlighten the benefit of this plugin compared to Padshop Pro (which i can get for 10 $).

I like Padshop because the sounds are very usable which I cannot say with my limited experience with other granual synths like reaktor Grain Cloud. It may be a simple matter of using good samples. But the sounds in Padshop are instantly usable for me which i cannot say of the sounds of Grain Cloud.
Padshop (part of Cubase) doesn't show up in Ableton though. This is why I would upgrade to Padshop Pro. Padshop Pro also allows importing your own samples.

Unless someone would say: no wait it out and go for Quanta instead.

Pad shop pro is an unnecessary HOG in today's DAW environment? And ... it really doesn't sound that good. I demoed it.

Neon Breath wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Love it. I have to ask tho... what in the hell is so complicated about Granular? I keep hearing this. Synthesis players have been doing granular since C Sound. What exactly is "hard" about it? I think people just use that as an excuse to simplify their products.
:lol:

Exactly what I think! No idea what's so complicated and hard with granular synthesis. Sit down, take you time, get a good coffee and you'll learn how to use granular synthesis in no time, it's really not that hard nor quantum physics come on.
I don't think it's actually the "hard" part that people get confused about, rather that it quickly can get "out of control". More like experimenting, than actual creating a sound, going from A to B. Why do people still prefer analog, or virtual analog synthesis to anything else? Because it's a well known concept, which is easy, and "logical" to learn. And you have full control until the end. Granular synthesis is different. More like taking an ingredient, putting it into a mortar, work it with a pestle, and see what's coming out. Both has its right to exist, it's just that they're quite different beasts.

Pad Shop Pro is the only granular thing i have, simply because i had Cubase Artist, and bought the upgrade for a tenner, which makes me able to use it in any DAW i want. I don't think i would have gone for it otherwise. I will look into it at some point, but... mangling samples just isn't as much of my thing than virtual analog or wavetable synthesis. It's great what Simon Stockhausen does with it, but... just not my cup of tea in general.
Last edited by chk071 on Sat May 05, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dasheesh wrote: Pad shop pro is an unnecessary HOG in today's DAW environment? And ... it really doesn't sound that good. I demoed it.
Padshop Pro is just amazing - you can get great sounds from it. Just don't go by the factory patches as they are not very good. Make your own.

I think it should be possible to use the iPad app as a control surface for the desktop version. Seems like an obvious feature when you already have an identical iPad GUI.

With all the other solid granular synths around (you know them), competition is very rough. It better bring something new & fresh on the table and sounds really good to compete against the others, otherwise I’m afraid it’ll slip under the radar. Especially at that price with no possibility to demo and no way to resell. Gonna be tough I think.

Neon Breath wrote:With all the other solid granular synths around (you know them), competition is very rough. It better bring something new & fresh on the table and sounds really good to compete against the others, otherwise I’m afraid it’ll slip under the radar. Especially at that price with no possibility to demo and no way to resell. Gonna be tough I think.
Where has a price been posted and where does it say that there won't be a way to demo it?

wagtunes wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:With all the other solid granular synths around (you know them), competition is very rough. It better bring something new & fresh on the table and sounds really good to compete against the others, otherwise I’m afraid it’ll slip under the radar. Especially at that price with no possibility to demo and no way to resell. Gonna be tough I think.
Where has a price been posted and where does it say that there won't be a way to demo it?
Price'v been told in the video.
About demo, from the web site:
Q: Do you make demo versions of your plugins?
A: No, we do not. We offer a no-questions-asked money back guarantee instead. You can ask for a refund for 30 days after your purchase, and you can ask for a single exchange of like or lesser value up to 60 days after your purchase.

Well, here are my thoughts on the whole thing.

1. They say right on the video that this will be "basic" meaning they're not going hog wild on it. They want it to be easy to use. So it may not be anymore complex than The Mangle, if even that complex.

2. Didn't really get to hear much of what it does in the video so no way to tell capabilities from what we heard.

3. The price point seems reasonable depending on what it can do.

4. The money back policy takes all the risk out of it should you not like it or it doesn't work on your system.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, I like that it will be simple to use. On the other, I wish it were more powerful. But again, it's hard to know just how powerful this thing is going to be from what we've heard.

Just going to have to wait and see. But from what info I have, I'm not automatically ruling it out. I'd say it's 50-50 right now as to whether or not I get it.

nordickvr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Price'v been told in the video.
About demo, from the web site:
Q: Do you make demo versions of your plugins?
A: No, we do not. We offer a no-questions-asked money back guarantee instead. You can ask for a refund for 30 days after your purchase, and you can ask for a single exchange of like or lesser value up to 60 days after your purchase.
^^^ personally, I tried to take advantage of that offer. I bought dubstation, thinking it would be more of a time studdering and slurring glitchy kind of thing. I emailed him and tried to ask very nicely if he would exchange it for a different plugin... I got no reply and silence. It made me feel like a heal for asking too. It’s one of those things where you just don’t know until you ask you know. I wound up liking Dubstation more and more after playing with it, so I just dropped it. On the other side, when I didn’t get an update of EOS, I emailed him and got a very nice and immediate response. He was as nice as could be.

Dasheesh wrote:
Stefken wrote:Anyone could enlighten the benefit of this plugin compared to Padshop Pro (which i can get for 10 $).

I like Padshop because the sounds are very usable which I cannot say with my limited experience with other granual synths like reaktor Grain Cloud. It may be a simple matter of using good samples. But the sounds in Padshop are instantly usable for me which i cannot say of the sounds of Grain Cloud.
Padshop (part of Cubase) doesn't show up in Ableton though. This is why I would upgrade to Padshop Pro. Padshop Pro also allows importing your own samples.

Unless someone would say: no wait it out and go for Quanta instead.

Pad shop pro is an unnecessary HOG in today's DAW environment? And ... it really doesn't sound that good. I demoed it.
I found PadShop Pro to have the most musical, sweet, lush granular sound. It's just addictive. In comparison, a lot of other granular synths just provide endless variations of noise, that happens to be chopped up. Whereas I find PadShop Pro to be much more 'musical', pure ear candy, just great all round.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

You guys have fun with your padshop, this is much more my style. The big question remains... how many grains? I’m looking to etherize things, and I need grains to play with. I saw a picture with the grain count at 31.30? Which just confused me even more. I’m dying to know the grain count.

"Good things come to Dasheesh who waits" :hihi:

Dasheesh wrote: I’m dying to know the grain count.
Yeah I'm curious too, for this I guess we'll have to wait for more info.

Dasheesh, do you have Mangle? If clouding & etherizing out audio with massive grain clouds is your goal, you'll be happy with Mangle as its rate can produce up to 250 grains per second and 300 to 1000 simultaneous overlapping grains per voice. Pretty heavy granulation here if you're looking into big grain numbers.

Neon Breath wrote:
Dasheesh wrote: I’m dying to know the grain count.
Yeah I'm curious too, for this I guess we'll have to wait for more info.

Dasheesh, do you have Mangle? If clouding & etherizing out audio with massive grain clouds is your goal, you'll be happy with Mangle as its rate can produce up to 250 grains per second and 300 to 1000 simultaneous overlapping grains per voice. Pretty heavy granulation here if you're looking into big grain numbers.

I bought the Tangle and the guy was thinking about adding a mangle module and then he dissapeared, and then I lost my tangle and was not able to recover it until recently, but .... short answer is I never got around to buying mangle. I was under the impression it was super stable, but I think as time goes on I’m hearing about stability issues etc.

A couple big advantages that this seems have is a very nice modulation system with a clear GUI, plus MPE (not really any other granular mpe synths out there).

I’m just curious to see if the grains can be spread apart like with Halion/padshop or falcon. I don’t see a spread control, but I did see a graphic that showed the points seemed spread apart.

Return to “Instruments”