Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

rod_zero wrote:Didn't Omnisphere had its own iPad control app? it even had an Orb or as a macro control.

and LOL at people thinking about big workarounds in order to use a generic midi controller for a system made to avoid generic MIDI controllers: you can already MIDI map omni to your generic midi controller and get the same experience you would get if you make that huge workaround you are thinking about for using this new "templates" feature.
You’re missing the point. If the synth profiles can take cc messages from a knob in the synth and internally turn that into some macro combination of various different things at once inside omnispheres then all you need to do is send that same cc message from a different controller WHILE USING THE SYNTH PROFILE in omnispheres
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

noiseboyuk wrote:
rod_zero wrote:This goes to show how bad the designs of MIDI controllers have been over the years: all 8 knobs and 8 faders, surfing through pages and pages. They don't look or feel like synths at all.

Everyone gets their first generic controller expecting to bring some tactile control over their plugins, convinced by all the marketing blurb (Automap, VIP, Kontrol, and other half assed solutions) just to find out that surfing through pages of 8 parameters isn't fun at all, it is not intuitive and you end not using the controls at all or just for the required filter sweep but definitely not for programming.

I just can't understand how so many companies (novation, akai, m-audio, arturia, alesis, native instruments, ableton, nektar, roland) got it so wrong for so long time, delivering the same layout over and over again and never realising 8 knobs and 8 faders just doesn't cut it for programming synths.

And what also amazes me is that while synth dedicated controllers keep being non existent Drum machine controllers have had wide success (maschine and arturia Spark), neither Arturia or Ni could think of making a 1:1 Soft Synth-Controller combo as the successful drum machines they made.
This this this this this.

Agree completely, always puzzled that no one has designed a controller with groups of knobs and switches, say, 6 in one section 4 in another, 6 more, etc. You know, like a HW synth.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Richard deHove wrote:Touch screens are a poor substitute for knobs. I'd be amazed if one or more hardware manufacturers aren't already contemplating (or have begun) an Omni-focussed MIDI controller panel. I think this will be a big new product area: synth-layout controllers designed to fit a few of the most popular VSTis. Some of the early choices may be Pro5, Arp and Omni.

Soon you might soon be able to buy a perfect Jupiter-8 or Odyssey replica as a MIDI controller only, then link to whichever VSTi emulation you liked. It may be a great area for modular software synths as well since they could be made to fit a whole range of controllers.

When the iPad first came out it started an entire market segment. I think the Spectrasonics announcement will create a new synth hardware industry.
While I'm quite bullish about the prospects for a new hardware controller, I'm nowhere near this level of optimism about it. Don't forget that there have already been a few dummy controllers such as the MS20iC and the impOscar, and they didn't exactly set the world on fire. And in practice they only make sense for controlling the synths they represent.

Practically, while it might be feasible for companies such as DSI to make empty versions of their products from a logistics point of view, I can't see any of them actually doing it as it kind of robs of them of their raison d'être. Another company might do this from scratch... I don't know, I just am very unsure of the true market potential for single dedicated shells.

Personally I haven't changed my view from a long time ago, that what is needed is a blank template generic midi hardware controller, strips of controls grouped together in typical synth-places, and possibly laid over a touchscreen so all the controls are truly dynamic and labelling completely clear. You can then in theory map any hardware synth to a half decent standard (thread on that here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=498883 ). It would be a delight to pair that concept with Omni 2.5.

One mildly crazy idea I did have is you could build complex mapping presets for Transmidifier for use with a System 1 or 8. Given that the vast majority of synth controls are Midi CCs, you could create maps in Transmidifier that converts the System X standard to any of the other hardware synths. That's always going to be a pretty flawed concept though - slightly clumsy and the controls for a System X won't always be labelled right, and likely you'll be missing stuff. It would be much better implemented if Roland themselves released maps for their other synths at least, but I can see they'd view this as confusing compared with their plug outs.

Anyway, all this is massively getting away with ourselves (ya think?!!!) for the foreseeable future, it's real hardware and Lemur.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I *love* the fact that it seems people are *finally* realising the need for a *well-designed* soft synth controller (and better tactile control in general).

When I've talked about this over the years/decades, I usually get people saying like "a generic slider box works fine for me" or "what's wrong with using the mouse?" and I just roll my eyes...

Myself and Guy differ on what our preferred solution would be :) but everyone will win if customers start to demand a better product and manufacturers recognise the need and start to make their own solutions...

I assume some dev will design a controller with pre labeled controls layed out in the style of (insert synth here).

Pre programmed with generic cc (74, 71 etc) then it's simply upto the user to midi learn their VIs.

One issue, unless knobs are touch sensitive (2way) there will be no relative position, ie the control will always jump to wherever the knob is, not relevant to the synth.

Ultimately thanks to Eric peaking for bringing this to the table :-)

CrystalWizard wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:
rod_zero wrote:This goes to show how bad the designs of MIDI controllers have been over the years: all 8 knobs and 8 faders, surfing through pages and pages. They don't look or feel like synths at all.

Everyone gets their first generic controller expecting to bring some tactile control over their plugins, convinced by all the marketing blurb (Automap, VIP, Kontrol, and other half assed solutions) just to find out that surfing through pages of 8 parameters isn't fun at all, it is not intuitive and you end not using the controls at all or just for the required filter sweep but definitely not for programming.

I just can't understand how so many companies (novation, akai, m-audio, arturia, alesis, native instruments, ableton, nektar, roland) got it so wrong for so long time, delivering the same layout over and over again and never realising 8 knobs and 8 faders just doesn't cut it for programming synths.

And what also amazes me is that while synth dedicated controllers keep being non existent Drum machine controllers have had wide success (maschine and arturia Spark), neither Arturia or Ni could think of making a 1:1 Soft Synth-Controller combo as the successful drum machines they made.
This this this this this.

Agree completely, always puzzled that no one has designed a controller with groups of knobs and switches, say, 6 in one section 4 in another, 6 more, etc. You know, like a HW synth.
This exists already. Novation Remote SL and Nektar panorama are the best two examples. Both have 3 sections of 8 knobs and a section of 8 sliders and sections of buttons. Both have screens indicating what the controls do. You can not get any more versatile than that and it works extremely well, especially for simple lhardware style layouts like these examples that are controlling Omnisphere. 16 knobs, 8 sliders and 8-24 buttons is pretty much the ideal layout.

missing the whole point completely.

both these controller have no labeling they are just banks of sliders knobs and buttons, if people wanted to do use these they would of done by now.

you still have to decipher and memorize what control is doing what where as with a hardware synth you instantly know.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: This exists already. Novation Remote SL and Nektar panorama are the best two examples. Both have 3 sections of 8 knobs and a section of 8 sliders and sections of buttons. Both have screens indicating what the controls do. You can not get any more versatile than that and it works extremely well, especially for simple lhardware style layouts like these examples that are controlling Omnisphere. 16 knobs, 8 sliders and 8-24 buttons is pretty much the ideal layout.

topaz wrote:you still have to decipher and memorize what control is doing what where as with a hardware synth you instantly know.
This.
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

topaz wrote:I assume some dev will design a controller with pre labeled controls layed out in the style of (insert synth here).

http://sound-force.nl/?page_id=2412

Exactly :-)

no doubt one of the larger devs will do the same at half the price though.
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
topaz wrote:I assume some dev will design a controller with pre labeled controls layed out in the style of (insert synth here).

http://sound-force.nl/?page_id=2412

topaz wrote:no doubt one of the larger devs will do the same at half the price though.
...Or the same price, but with many more controls :tu:

topaz wrote:missing the whole point completely.

both these controller have no labeling they are just banks of sliders knobs and buttons, if people wanted to do use these they would of done by now.

you still have to decipher and memorize what control is doing what where as with a hardware synth you instantly know.
The original ReMote model had cardboard templates to label the controls. Low-tech solution, but it worked.

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

So, any news about some new preset banks for the 4 oscs and new filters coming up? Luftrum? Plughugger? etc?

Really hyped also about the SEM filter.. now that berlin school arpline..
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote:So, any news about some new preset banks for the 4 oscs and new filters coming up? Luftrum? Plughugger? etc?

Really hyped also about the SEM filter.. now that berlin school arpline..
I'm still in shock by the announcement of this update.
4 osc/new filters. Mind = blown.

Re new sounds. I'm starting to go into Summer Mode - which basically means I'm doing the ground work for all the upcoming sounds for the autumn/winter. I have three synthesizers I need to sample off. One analog, one VA and one exceptionally digital. All crazy fun.
Now is a good time to come up with suggestions - so PM me with what you guys would like to hear in the future. At this point I'm open for just about anything.

Damn... this Superbooth was one of the coolest events ever. After seeing the Gaz/Sonicstate video on the Deluge I went mad and bought one :dog: :hyper: :party:

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

2018: Spectrasonics invent MIDI control.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Instruments”