Chainsaw as vst-instrument?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you look at the physics of a chainsaw, it should be possible to create a chainsaw patch in any wavetable synth. Get samples of a real chainsaw, look at the waveform at different pitches, and different pressure levels (weather you drive it into wood or you just play with the gas...). Then set up your wavetable accordingly and move through it depending on the pitch and pressure of your controller. I bet you get a better and more expressive chainsaw than with just samples...

Do you have a recommendation for a (free) wavetable synth?
I have no experience with this kind of synths.

I don't think there are any chainsaw vsts. Might want to try sampling the sound of a real chainsaw with a field recorder.

gonzomaster wrote:Do you have a recommendation for a (free) wavetable synth?
I have no experience with this kind of synths.
Fathom solo is a free modular synth with wavetables. That should be able to do it. In this case monophonic is fine, but the developer does need support as well, so if it works out, consider getting the full version...
It won't be easy though, but you can get inspiration from the Fathom OSC challenge, there is some cumulated knowledge in the community...

pdxindy wrote:Here's my attempt at a chainsaw in ACE

https://draigathar.org/sounds/Ace3.mp3
great chainsaw patch

pilotredsun wrote:Tone2 RayBlaster comes with a chainsaw preset. It's quaint. Also, AudioGaming is probably cooking up a $400 VST specifically for chainsaw sounds :hihi:
i was gonna mention that, it's a great sound

At the end, I downloaded a sample at freesound.org and put it in the Kontakt-player.
It works great.
Much better, than with a softsynth! Thanks for your advice!

emef wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Here's my attempt at a chainsaw in ACE

https://draigathar.org/sounds/Ace3.mp3
great chainsaw patch
Agreed, that was amazing :clap:
I wonder how he obtained that :oops:

pilotredsun wrote:Tone2 RayBlaster comes with a chainsaw preset. It's quaint. Also, AudioGaming is probably cooking up a $400 VST specifically for chainsaw sounds :hihi:
Wouldn't surprise me :hihi:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”