Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
philsynth
KVRist

30 posts since 16 May, 2018

Postby philsynth; Wed May 16, 2018 12:30 am Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Hi, I've been looking at multiple synths, some of which I've had a chance to demo and I'm wondering whether any of the owners of these synths or synth aficionados could provide their opinions. Suggestions I haven't though of are welcome too. My priority is a good analogue style sound, basses/leads are important, arps are sort of important, pads not so much, however polyphony is preferred. I know at a price of around 50 nothing will rival the expensive synths, however I've tried some of these lower priced ones and I can work with them, just looking for opinions.

These are options I think sounds good from demoing - beep street sunrizer (50), waves element 2 (30), syntronik - various, probably minimod or noir (50).

Others I haven't demoed - korg mono/poly or polysix (50), air music technology vacuum tube mono or pro (20/30).

Analogue sounds usually are associated with fatness, and thats cool, however I'll mix the synth with other acoustic sounds, so keep that in mind. Whats most important to me when looking for an analogue sound is the fatness, which is why i like the sampled sounds of syntronik, and the percussive tight filter envelope, which is why i like the waves and sunrizer. I haven't tried the korgs or vacuum tube.

I know none of them nail the tone, and I haven't had a much chance to work with them, so I was just wondering whether anyone has gotten a chance to delve into working with any of the previously mentioned synths, or whether anyone has any other suggestions I haven't discovered yet in the same price range.
JerGoertz
KVRAF

1940 posts since 19 Feb, 2004

Postby JerGoertz; Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Xhun Audio LittleOne.

You owe it to yourself to try it.
A well-behaved signature.
Halonmusic
KVRian

1166 posts since 13 Nov, 2015, from Norway

Postby Halonmusic; Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Psychic Modulation Phonec 2.
- 32bit for Life, 32bit Forever -
robotmonkey
KVRAF

1952 posts since 20 Jun, 2012

Postby robotmonkey; Wed May 16, 2018 12:52 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Often on sale:
Waves Codex and Element - absolutely good sounding synths, can be had very cheap currently.
Air Music Tech Hybrid3, Xpand2!, Loom Classic and Vacuum Pro - all decent synths, can be had super cheap.
No signature here!
Stefken
KVRist

412 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Postby Stefken; Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

When I saw the title of your post, my immediate reaction was Waves Element 2 because it is dirt cheap (for what it is).
It's very underestimated as it has a very analog sound. Another one in that section is Xils3 LE (30 euro).

Syntronik is also very nice but you'll get only one module at that price and it is sample based (always more limited than a synth). Monark (when on sale) might be an option too.

On the Korg side: very cheap synths to be had but the old synths all sound somewhat dated (still good value for the price; there have been sales of 25$). Their latest one the Korg Arp Odeyssey is really nice sounding but a cpu hog. At 99$ it is certainly worth the price.

Vacuum Pro is a synth that also sounds very analog (albeit a bit over the top actually) but it's the cheapest of them all as it is magware (is included in a magazine). Hybrid 3 from the same lineup can be bought supercheap (sometimes 1 euro on Plugin Boutique) . Bazille CM from U-he is also magware; they also have some free stuff.

I have focused mainly on price here but Element 2, Xils and Korg Arp certainly sound very good.
Somewhat higher in price range but top quality are the synths for U-he, Synapse Audio some of which can be bought second hand. (I bought Dune 2 for about 75 euro second hand).
Fernando Carvalho
KVRist

130 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Postby Fernando Carvalho; Wed May 16, 2018 1:57 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

I am loving TAL Mod and using it as my main VA synth right now.

For me it is important, in order to get the "analog" vibe, to use some kind of saturation. I am getting good results with Soundtoys Radiator, but this is more expensive than the synth. Klanghelm SDRR is cheaper and very good too, but you have to dial more parameters, which is good when you are looking for a more specific tone. I get good results using Desk mode most of the times.
EnGee
KVRAF

4488 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Postby EnGee; Wed May 16, 2018 1:58 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Stefken wrote:
Vacuum Pro is a synth that also sounds very analog (albeit a bit over the top actually) but it's the cheapest of them all as it is magware (is included in a magazine). Hybrid 3 from the same lineup can be bought supercheap (sometimes 1 euro on Plugin Boutique) . Bazille CM for U-he is also magware.

I agree that the Magware is a great value for money ($5 only). I just noticed that Thorn CM is in July 2017 Computer Music so I bought it!
https://www.zinio.com/nz/computer-music-m3730

My favourite from last year issue is Bazille CM, Dune CM and Aalto CM. There are also great effects, my fav that I use a lot is Barricade CM. Anyway, I'm trying to download the contents of the new issue but the website is sooooooooo slow that I have been 10 mins only trying to reach the login screen :-o

My favourite synths from the OP's list are Korg Mono/Poly. I also like Polysix and MS-20 a lot but the problem with those synths is the small GUI (and the scroll view in MS-20).

However, the most used emulation in my synths is "The Legend" and especially for bass/lead sounds. I also use it for pads. It is the most used synth in my 30+ collection! It is also not a cpu hog like Korg ARP Odyssey. Yes, it is $99 but because I use it almost daily, I consider it the best value for money synth that I have!
discoDSP
KVRAF

3508 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby discoDSP; Wed May 16, 2018 2:07 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

discoDSP Plug-Ins | Synths | Sampler | Effects
Andywanders
KVRAF

2565 posts since 3 Aug, 2003, from Narnia

Postby Andywanders; Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

discoDSP wrote:OB-Xd https://www.discodsp.com/obxd/ free :)

Indeed... This, and the excellent PG-8X cover a lot of analogue ground very convincingly.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pg-8x-by-ml-vst

Definitely worth having both of these.
fmr
KVRAF

7087 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Andywanders wrote:

Indeed... This, and the excellent PG-8X cover a lot of analogue ground very convincingly.

+1
Fernando (FMR)
resynthesis
KVRist

336 posts since 17 Sep, 2007, from Planet Thanet

Postby resynthesis; Wed May 16, 2018 3:05 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Yep, definitely check out some of the free stuff. The TAL freebies, Fullbucket stuff, etc. There are plenty of threads here about the best free synths.
philsynth
KVRist

30 posts since 16 May, 2018

Postby philsynth; Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Wow, that's alot of suggestions! Thanks very much! I guess it'll take some time to demo them all. Regarding the free ones, I think I could safely say I've probably tried all the good ones. I keep my favorites and have Obxd and Pg8x. Both are awesome. :tu: Some other favorites are Tyrell and Viking. That's actually the reason I don't care too much about the pad and arp sounds of paid synths, since those free synths I'd say are totally capable imo. However a really nice filter could sometimes improve even pad/arp sounds and such, and definitely bass sounds. So I'm mainly focusing on the percussive analogue quality of the filter and the fatness of the bass. Speaking of filters, I listened to the Korg demos again and the filter sounds so good, I wish there were free trials. However, all the suggestions sound awesome. At the moment I'm demoing xvi3 or whatever it is and it sounds great, and actually sort of complicated because it has a matrix based on what i'd imagine is modular routing. I still haven't tried most of the suggestions though, so I have alot of work ahead of me. Thanks again, and any other suggestions are much appreciated!

[Edit] Oh yea, charlatan's cool. Tal uno/noisemaker and synth1 were my first synths ever. I'm glad element is popular, it was actually my top choice when starting this thread. vvv
Last edited by philsynth on Wed May 16, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
layzer
KVRAF

5249 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Wed May 16, 2018 3:22 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Andywanders wrote:

add
Charlatan
Synth1
Tal noisemaker/Elektro

to that list :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRist

492 posts since 21 Apr, 2017, from Bahia, Brazil

Postby Scrubbing Monkeys; Wed May 16, 2018 3:28 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Another vote for Element by waves. free is cool but 29.00 is soooo much better.

Oh and.... probably the most usable factory presets out there.
wagtunes
KVRAF

11329 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Lots of good cheap synths. I personally love Sunrizer.

Here's my list to check out.

ACE
Carbon Electra
Element 2
Fathom
Sonigen Modular (free)
Synth1 (free)
Synthmaster (often goes on sale for $50)
Tyrell N6 (free)
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments