iLok you out for no reason! A warning.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:I don't understand something. If there's all these problems with iLok, Pace, or whatever it is and neither the VST vendor, iLok or Pace will help you, why don't you just sue them? I'm dead serious. You bought the software. You have a receipt. They refuse to do anything to allow you to access software that you paid for. Seems to me this is grounds for litigation.

Let me tell you. If this happened to me (you all know what a bastard I can be) I'd be on the phone with a lawyer in 5 minutes if everybody said "Sorry, can't help you. You're out $5,000 in software."

Why are we just taking this? Why don't we go on social media and make a big stink about this? Force changes. When good men do nothing, evil prevails.

Do SOMETHING!
Wagtunes, check out my previous points on the subject. In short, PACE have a monopoly (or near one) in this market. These are the terms of use (as I put it previously, premiums or the cost of doing business) they can impose because they don’t have any (serious) competition. You buy the plugin, you agree to the terms of use. It’s difficult to sue because you have or *should have* known about the terms of use prior to purchase (caveat emptor - buyer beware).

We, as users, are a bound to PACE terms through the purchase of the plugin. One of those terms is that it is up to the discretion of the developer to decide whether licenses should be reissued. For example, a computer may die(logic board failure, in my case), or you lose the USB key. The user must contact each developer to request new licences. The developer could refuse to reissue a licence for any reason or no reason at all: licence reissue is at their discretion. In my case, the process was smooth, quick and painless, other then a couple odd ducks.

For a fee, however, you can pay PACE for two - week temporary licenses to continue to work. So they could, if they wanted to, issue temporary licences for free. Instead, they create an additional revenue stream: key replacement and temp. Licencing.

If you wanted to sue, PACE would argue that you lack standing since you could have paid for temporary licences, and that reissuing licences isn’t their job anyway - it’s the developers. You would then have to sue the developers individually. There, you would have to argue that refusal to issue a new licence is unreasonable according to some test. In my experience, there was generally no problem requesting new licences, but I guess there could be scenarios where there could be.

robotmonkey wrote:People saying that it's not Paces fault are just flat out wrong. Even though Windows 10 update procedure has been a total sh1tshow, it is Pace's job to keep their crappy protection program working. They have a exactly one job and they have been failing at it like for ever. It's not like they have not had plenty of opportunities in advance to make sure that their software is compatible with Windows 10. Windows 10 has been around already for how long? They're just lazy f%&ks and probably don't care.
Exactly - since they are a monopoly, they don’t have any incentive to provide the best service.

Well... I'm back in iLok License Manager now.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Yep....and we are back. iLOK License Manager is now working just fine & dandy. Oh I so enjoyed spending most of my Saturday trying to figure this out, when it had nothing to do with anything I was doing. Hey ho....

As long as people buy iLok related products because it gives them a sense of exclusivity, very little will change.

It reminds me of Apple laptops where the surface of the monitor soon would desintegrate. Apple first denied in all colors, until a storm broke loose on the net.

Btw owners of Apple laptops who did not have trouble with their monitors, filled the fora with all kinds of 'reasons' why desintegration of the Apple monitors simply was caused by the users themselves. Go figure.

Sense of exclusivity ? I think people tolerate dongles cause they enjoy or need the professional tools protected by it. I cannot imagine anyone bragging about their USB stick with a blue LED in it.

I must just be in the minority, I like many of the tools protected by it and have yet to have a major problem with it, that is not to say that will not happen so I do empathize with peoples problems as a user myself.

Exclusivity? Are you F'ing kidding me?

I hear a piece of software that I like. I want to buy piece of software that I like. It's important enough for me to have the SOFTWARE that I'll put up with whatever copy protection they decide to use. It has NOTHING to do with exclusivity.

Where do people come up with this shit?

wagtunes wrote:Exclusivity? Are you F'ing kidding me?

I hear a piece of software that I like. I want to buy piece of software that I like. It's important enough for me to have the SOFTWARE that I'll put up with whatever copy protection they decide to use. It has NOTHING to do with exclusivity.

Actually it's the iLok cheerleaders and fanboys themselves who bring up this very same thing. It's usually the first pro iLok argument to come up. :shrug:
No signature here!

Since when do YOU represent the human race?

Woodgardens wrote:

Since when do YOU represent the human race?
Well I sure as hell would like to think I'm part of it. Seriously, who the f**k looks at a piece of software and goes "Oh Krishna, iLok protected. I gotta get me some of that."

It's ludicrous.

@wagtunes

I plead guilty. I never buy Nike because everybody wears Nike 8)

That said, I recently bought sneakers from another brand. And they look pretty nice. Maybe I'd better bought Nike. Because now my feet are full of blisters.

Oh well...

PS

I own an iLok with expensive software btw. The trouble is: the software comes with several iLok licenses and the main license -for God's sake- does not show up. Whatever I tried. A bit weird because I installed all licenses except the one.

The dev thinks I am an idiot, which I probably am, but it still does not encourage me to purchase more iLok licenses.

I have used some ilok software and in the end I feel the whole system is more inconvenient, the same for elicenser. The simple thought of being able to lose a license just bothers me and even more having to pay a fee to gain temporary authorization.

There are simply many excellent alternatives to iLok software, companies like NI have a much more relaxed and unobtrusive system, and many others as u-he, fabfilter, valhalla, etc.
dedication to flying

If my iLok goes down, I aint gonna pay shit for another one. I would simply use all my
lovely alternatives until the replacement arrives. Personally, I can wait a couple weeks
with no problem. ZDT is not realistically something I need to worry about or would be
willing to pay for. So for me, not a huge deal...

I've been using 'dongles' for 20+ years. We are just lucky in this industry that you have the
choice not to use iLok protected products. MANY other industries are not so fortunate.
You would think you could just use a different animation package or CAD software, you
would be wrong, more often than not. For any number of reasons.

Anyway, use them or don't, they are not gonna go away in the foreseeable future.

*There are other options available with companies like Autodesk, but a dongle
option is still, often preferable.

twolegstoneworks wrote: EDIT: Just heard from a Mac-guy who also has this issue... so it IS an iLok issue after all... Fire!!!!! :evil:
Ohhhhhhh.... I have a suspicion the windows update borked thier servers like it did my laptop.

Return to “Instruments”