Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

2329 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:26 pm Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

jancivil wrote:Oh, just noticed this reading up on the Dimension Strings.
As to the question about how long ago were things recorded: they state that the Silent Stage recordings were done from 2008 thru 2012.

I'm not sure what they're referring to there specifically, I presume the Dimension range. The silent stage recordings overall go back far earlier, by 2003 they were already being released (this article is an interesting time capsule as it predates VSL's players, originally they were released for EXS and Gigastudio - https://www.mixonline.com/technology/fi ... ary-369990 )
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
fmr
KVRAF

7402 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:14 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

jancivil wrote:
Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a bundle of just orchestral strings and solo strings. the larger bundle has Appassionata and Dimension in addition to the other two, plus chamber strings, plus harps.
For like 6 grand. :scared:

You can buy just the Vol. 1 Strings, the Vol. 1 Strings PLUS and so on. Just go here: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Products/Product_List and select what you want. The special prices apply to these too, I think.

Regarding the Full strings library, we are talking about almost 500 GB of samples. This is the most complete and comprehensive strings library available and has more than twice the amount of samples of the libraries of the competition (Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings, for example, is 129 GB. Albion recent Hans Zimmer Strings is 183 GB, Chamber Strings is 312 GB - and this last one costs 1000).
Fernando (FMR)
wagtunes
KVRAF

12605 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:03 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote:See, I'm afraid that I'm going to get SE Complete and end up with very little in the way of strings and end up having to get Orchestral Strings bundle anyway. I mean how much can they really give me for that little bit more?

This is why I'm skeptical of this sale and what I'm actually getting.

I think that is correct. It's a goodly sale for them, but for strings it's a false economy.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a bundle of just orchestral strings and solo strings. the larger bundle has Appassionata and Dimension in addition to the other two, plus chamber strings, plus harps.
For like 6 grand. :scared:

So then you do see my point. There is no optimal solution for me since what I'm mainly interested in is strings. To truly get a complete strings collection we're talking about $5,000. I don't have that kind of money and I don't think I'm going to be happy with the SE bundle.

Oh well, such is life. Sometimes you just don't get what you want out of it so you deal the best you can.

I still have 24 days to make a decision.
fmr
KVRAF

Postby fmr; Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:17 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

wagtunes wrote:
jancivil wrote: Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a bundle of just orchestral strings and solo strings.

So then you do see my point. There is no optimal solution for me since what I'm mainly interested in is strings. To truly get a complete strings collection we're talking about $5,000. I don't have that kind of money and I don't think I'm going to be happy with the SE bundle.

But there is a bundle of just orchestral strings and solo strings. I just pointed to it in my previous post. And you can grow from there to the complete strings at any time you want.

"To truly get a complete strings collection"... It seems you are chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You'll never get that. There will always be something missing.
Fernando (FMR)
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:40 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
jancivil wrote: Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a bundle of just orchestral strings and solo strings.

But there is a bundle of just orchestral strings and solo strings. I just pointed to it in my previous post. And you can grow from there to the complete strings at any time you want.

"To truly get a complete strings collection"... It seems you are chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You'll never get that. There will always be something missing.

The two products you listed come out to like $200 with the promotion. That's less money than what EWQL strings cost. So how comprehensive can that possibly be? I mean obviously I'm not going to know if it'll meet my needs until I get it and try it out. But there's the rub. There's no demo. I have to get it, period. So I take my chances and hope for the best.

And while $200 is chump change for a good strings library, it's a lot of money for what could turn into a failed experiment.

This is where a 30 day demo would help so much.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:58 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

Okay, I miscalculated. SE Vol 1 and SE Vol 1 Plus comes out to $200. Vol 2 and Vol 2 Plus come out to another $200. So it's $400 for the complete SE Strings.

I just listened to the demos for all 4 volumes making note of the articulations. Outside of the really odd ball stuff, they've got everything that I'd possibly need covered. So for $400 (more or less) I would have a very comprehensive strings library that sounds great but more importantly (because EWQL sounds fine) will make it so that I won't have to put up with the infuriating Play engine any longer. I've really reached the end of my rope with that thing.

So that's what I'm most likely going to do. SE Vol 1 Strings, SE Vol 1 Strings Plus, SE Vol 2 Strings, and SE Vol 2 Strings Plus.

Jancivil, does this seem like a pretty decent game plan? Yes, no? Alternatives? Again, keeping in mind that I'm really only interested in strings.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

Ah crap. I just noticed there's a Special Edition Vol 3 with more strings with pretty much most of the missing articulations.

Now we're up to $700, which is still damn cheap for such a package.

Except now for just about $500, I can get all this plus everything else in SE Complete.

Well, I still have until the 30th to make my decision. Either way, I'm definitely adding Vol 3 to the purchase.
padillac
KVRian

567 posts since 27 Nov, 2011

Postby padillac; Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

wagtunes wrote:
fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

The two products you listed come out to like $200 with the promotion. That's less money than what EWQL strings cost. So how comprehensive can that possibly be? I mean obviously I'm not going to know if it'll meet my needs until I get it and try it out. But there's the rub. There's no demo. I have to get it, period. So I take my chances and hope for the best.

And while $200 is chump change for a good strings library, it's a lot of money for what could turn into a failed experiment.

This is where a 30 day demo would help so much.

The audition credit let’s you play with all of their products for $20 for an hour of sound-making.

They also provide 30-day demos of everything (if you have an elicenser key and maybe need one registered software product)
husker37
KVRist

77 posts since 23 Dec, 2016

Postby husker37; Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:28 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

If you bit the bullet Wags, let me know what you think. I have EW HO Gold, and am looking to upgrade to a bit better solutions I'm going crazy looking at all the alternative (Spitfire, etc.). I'll never be a jancivil level orchestrator, but the SE Complete on sale now for $1209 will probably do me well for a long time.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:39 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

husker37 wrote:If you bit the bullet Wags, let me know what you think. I have EW HO Gold, and am looking to upgrade to a bit better solutions I'm going crazy looking at all the alternative (Spitfire, etc.). I'll never be a jancivil level orchestrator, but the SE Complete on sale now for $1209 will probably do me well for a long time.

There is a HUGE difference between Gold and Diamond. Were it not for the Play engine, I'd have no regrets getting it. The additional mic positions, divisi, etc. makes it a fine sounding library. I think, sound wise, it's as good as VSL or at least close enough that nobody is going to notice a huge difference. Certainly not your lay person off the street. My main beef and the reason I am going for VSL is to finally have an engine that's easy to work with and doesn't spit like a camel almost every time I use it.

I think SE Complete, for somebody who has very little, is a great deal. But as little as I find myself using woodwinds and percussion, I can't see investing in it personally. And I certainly don't need the piano.

If all you own is HW Gold, you'll probably be thrilled with SE Complete because it appears to blow Gold out of the water. And not having to deal with Play is a big plus right there. I still don't know what EW was thinking when they built that engine. It's the worst.

Like I said, I've got 24 days to think about this. Eventually I'll make some kind of decision.
Caine123
KVRAF

5216 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:59 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

wag i dunno if you saw the SE specials 1 - 4 bundle? it seems really nice. i still think about getting this even i got some days ago symphobia 1. for me it is

symphobia 1 (already bought) + symph 2 + Lumina
or
symphobia 1 + se 1 - 4
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i20 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit
Lotuzia
KVRAF

9651 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris

Postby Lotuzia; Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:10 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

Libs have different overall sounds, as well as features and playability (VSL doesnt exactly sound like EW Hollywoodish sound for example) . Auto divisi and nice legato come at a price. NI big bundles do sound good (Audiobro know their job imho). Lacks some features, but I'd say pretty much every lib lacks some . Whatever what you'll eventually get (Lass, Spitfire, Project Sam, EW, VSL, 8dio, NI etc) , don't forget that some libs will not mix easily with some other libs. So getting a lot of instruments from the same company probably makes more sense here than in other audio production subjects.

Maybe the best is to listen closely to audio demos proposed by various companies, then choose the one you think will fit more your taste and projects. And, finally, your wallet, too :)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:45 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

Lotuzia wrote:Libs have different overall sounds, as well as features and playability (VSL doesnt exactly sound like EW Hollywoodish sound for example) . Auto divisi and nice legato come at a price. NI big bundles do sound good (Audiobro know their job imho). Lacks some features, but I'd say pretty much every lib lacks some . Whatever what you'll eventually get (Lass, Spitfire, Project Sam, EW, VSL, 8dio, NI etc) , don't forget that some libs will not mix easily with some other libs. So getting a lot of instruments from the same company probably makes more sense here than in other audio production subjects.

Maybe the best is to listen closely to audio demos proposed by various companies, then choose the one you think will fit more your taste and projects. And, finally, your wallet, too :)

This is very true. Not everything mixes well together. In fact, I find that it's rare that I can take orchestral sounds from one company and mix them with another. Especially if the sounds aren't dry.
fmr
KVRAF

Postby fmr; Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:14 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

wagtunes wrote:Ah crap. I just noticed there's a Special Edition Vol 3 with more strings with pretty much most of the missing articulations.

Except now for just about $500, I can get all this plus everything else in SE Complete.

Well, I still have until the 30th to make my decision. Either way, I'm definitely adding Vol 3 to the purchase.

I think you would be well served with all those. But I think you have the Steinberg eLicenser key, right?

If you have it, you can ask for a 30-day demo of all the bundles. That will give you still enough time to make an informed decision.
Fernando (FMR)
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:25 am Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Ah crap. I just noticed there's a Special Edition Vol 3 with more strings with pretty much most of the missing articulations.

I think you would be well served with all those. But I think you have the Steinberg eLicenser key, right?

If you have it, you can ask for a 30-day demo of all the bundles. That will give you still enough time to make an informed decision.

Yes, I use Cubase 7 so I'm set. I didn't realize there was actually a demo possible for VSL. With EWQL, no such option. Another thing I don't like about them. Of course you could do the cloud thing for a month and try out everything. But that's not a free option.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments

FEATURED
NAMM 2018 Show Report - New places and faces
Advertisements