Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

6988 posts since 13 Jun, 2001, from Somewhere else, on principle

Postby BONES; Wed May 30, 2018 3:58 pm Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

It's not sidechaining, as such, it's a ducking envelope (yes, it's an amusing name). I've not got to it yet but I assume you apply it to whichever steps you need to, as opposed to it being triggered by the Kick itself. One of the demo tunes shows it doing it's thing without any audible kick sound. Maybe it does require both operating but I've managed to sidechain in the past without it, so I'll probably be able to do it in the future without it, too. At the very worst, it gives me a new option.

And yes, this means I bought it. I realised last night that I had an NI e-voucher that was due to expire soonish, which lopped one-third off the price, so I used it. I decided that the things that were disappointing about it are mostly things that seem monumental but in reality barely impact my workflow - once I've put all my patterns down for a song, which I mostly do in the first few hours of starting work on something, I pretty much never go back and change anything. Then I realised that if I do want to make changes down the track, having the patterns within the instrument could actually make that easier. It was a simple matter of adjusting my perception to fit reality.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Postby BONES; Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 pm Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

Turns out the ducking envelope is triggered by the kick track, so it will definitely come in handy with the synth engine. The more I dig into it, the happier I am with the purchase. Playing around with the kick engine reveals plenty of versatility. It's not going to be able to do lead lines but it's definitely up for some quirky percussive loops and stuff like that, which we like to use.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta
Arovane
KVRer

9 posts since 21 Apr, 2017

Postby Arovane; Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:04 am Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

Hello

when i LOCK a Step und make my changes and exit the Lock mode.....
HOW can i UNLOCK this locked Step ?
db3
KVRAF

1778 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Postby db3; Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:58 am Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

Arovane wrote:Hello

Yeah, I haven't worked out how to reset a locked step either yet.
What I have just found is if you double click any parameter, such as cutoff, you then enter a mode where you can draw values for the parameter across all steps.
-dthree-
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Postby BONES; Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:05 pm Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

Yeah, I'm discovering these kinds of issues, too. There is nothing in the manual about clearing P-Locks so I don't think it can be done without clearing the whole pattern.

On the positive side, I've been working on a song for a few weeks and I've tried most of the synths in my arsenal to get one part right, so that it sits in the mix without overwhelming the other parts. I settled on a Go2 patch I'd made but I still wasn't 100% happy with it (it wasn't aggressive enough). Last night I threw TRK-01 into the project, as I'm still looking for something in the break and one of the presets, with a few big tweaks, was sounding promising. It worked kind of OK but was competing too much with Go2 so I thought it might be able to do the Go2 part as well. 10 minutes later I'd nailed that part with TRK-01. It's perfect! And it still works in the break, too, so it's doubly perfect.

The only problem is that it's a lot of work to actually put it into the song. When I was looking for the right synth, all I had to do was clone the track from the old synth to the next one I wanted to try, and maybe adjust the octaves here and there, but with TRK-01 I have to reprogram the patterns from scratch (in an unfamiliar way, too) and then sequence it using MIDI notes to change patterns. It's a punish in this circumstance but with a totally new piece it should be less effort. The good thing is that it worked and it's done a better job than any of my other synths managed.

A cool aspect of it is that the pattern that originally got me thinking is a 5 note pattern, so you can throw it into a 4/4 arrangement and it feels like it never repeats. TRK-01 always plays a pattern to the end before it switches to the next one, so you need a truncated version of the pattern to block it back into the first beat of the next section, but it's kinda cool.

In case you can't tell, I am really enjoying this thing. For all it's little foibles, there are many big plusses, too.
Stefken
KVRist

487 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Postby Stefken; Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:58 am Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

I'll see what Komplete 12 brings to the table.
KoolFartWind
KVRist

98 posts since 17 Jul, 2010, from Beerlin

Postby KoolFartWind; Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 am Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

tl;dr :oops:

Is this better than Microtonic ?

Is there something comparable (to this or Microtonic) in Komplete ? :hyper:
Stefken
KVRist

487 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Postby Stefken; Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:04 am Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

Microtonic is a drum machine.

This is a drum & bass machine, where I see the bass as the most elaborate part.
Drum is mainly bassdrum. You can fiddle somewhat to get other sounds out of it but it's not like it's a 8/12/16 part drummachine.

So they are different beasts.

TRK-01 will be part of the Komplete update. You if you are not in a hurry, the Komplete upgrade might be more bang for the buck. There is also a Massive X in the running for example but nobody actually knows what it is going to be.

Komplete has Polyplex and Battery as drummachines and other libraries for acoustic drums.
It's all on the website.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ete/drums/
KoolFartWind
KVRist

Postby KoolFartWind; Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:53 am Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

Thanks for the clarification.

I am only eligible for the current Komplete 11 upgrade/crossgrade discount. I guess the Komplete 12 upgrade/crossgrade will be double the price.

Chances are, that after buying the Komplete 11 crossgrade I'll also invest in the 12 update at some point, but I tend to believe, that I am not that instinctivly controlled.
SLiC
KVRAF

2626 posts since 2 Dec, 2004, from North Wales

Postby SLiC; Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:00 pm Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

If you already have reactor there are a bunch of good free drum/bass machines to ease your GAS :-)

https://blog.native-instruments.com/9-d ... 1527863618
Current Gear: i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, System 1m, Korg ARP, P6, Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, MPC Live, OP-1, Mother 32, Dominion Club, Roland TD8 and HPD-20, Guitars, Basses and Amps
KoolFartWind
KVRist

Postby KoolFartWind; Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 pm Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

I don't (I had once). :cry: I have Kontakt 5 and honestly I would only crossgrade to Komplete because of the extensive sample libraries.
KoolFartWind
KVRist

Postby KoolFartWind; Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 pm Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

So is Microtonic outdated (I like the simplicity) ? Is there an NI-alternative (Kontakt or Reaktor-based) ? Rather Kontakt-based. I just figured TRK-01 is Reaktor-based ... now I'll need Reaktor-Player in order to demo it. Hmmkaay.
gentleclockdivider
KVRian

1088 posts since 21 Mar, 2009, from gent

Postby gentleclockdivider; Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:53 pm Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

KoolFartWind wrote:tl;dr :oops:

A couple of years ago I re-created microtonic in reaktor + some added features (partial oscilator , comb filter and some shaper dist.)
I even got some praise from magnus himself :o
DIdn't do the sequencer .
You're welcome :D
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/8339/
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies
db3
KVRAF

1778 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Postby db3; Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:30 pm Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

db3 wrote:
Arovane wrote:Hello

Yeah, I haven't worked out how to reset a locked step either yet.
What I have just found is if you double click any parameter, such as cutoff, you then enter a mode where you can draw values for the parameter across all steps.

Not sure if this was fixed in the 1.0.1 update, but I just noticed the CLEAR option at the top (under the pattern name) when a locked step is selected.
-dthree-
SLiC
KVRAF

2626 posts since 2 Dec, 2004, from North Wales

Postby SLiC; Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:51 pm Re: Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

gentleclockdivider wrote:
KoolFartWind wrote:tl;dr :oops:

A couple of years ago I re-created microtonic in reaktor + some added features (partial oscilator , comb filter and some shaper dist.)
I even got some praise from magnus himself :o
DIdn't do the sequencer .
You're welcome :D
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/8339/

As I said a few posts ago. The free user created stuff is often every bit as good as the paid offerings,but often overlooked because it’s free! This is a great instrument, if Ni put it out it would be 100 bucks then People would want it ;-)
Current Gear: i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, System 1m, Korg ARP, P6, Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, MPC Live, OP-1, Mother 32, Dominion Club, Roland TD8 and HPD-20, Guitars, Basses and Amps
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments