The KVR Audio website is moving to a new server - please expect some disruption to services over the next 24-48 hours.

During the final stages of the transition several services will be disabled on the old server, such as new user registrations, KVR Marketplace transactions, developer admin features, forum search, posting in the forum, etc.

Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
machinesworking
KVRian

1290 posts since 15 Aug, 2003, from seattle
They upgraded the Komplete Control S88. It now has the LED screens, was hoping they would do that. In the mean time I got a perfectly fine MPK88, had it come out a couple months earlier....
deastman
KVRAF

6726 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area
VitaminD wrote:
I'm so tired of NI throwing in more soundware shovelware into the package. It was the synths that made the company what it is... I wish they'd respect that more. I keep skipping upgrade versions because it is more junk added to the bundle that I never wanted. All I want are soft synth upgrades (and not tied to Reaktor or Kontakt).

Yes, the synths were what made NI. But these days there are lots of good synths around. Samples are what continue to sustain the company, and have been for years now. It’s a little like continuing to complain about how MTV doesn’t play music videos anymore.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
mholloway
KVRian

934 posts since 10 Jan, 2009, from Portland, OR, USA
deastman wrote:
VitaminD wrote:
I'm so tired of NI throwing in more soundware shovelware into the package. It was the synths that made the company what it is... I wish they'd respect that more. I keep skipping upgrade versions because it is more junk added to the bundle that I never wanted. All I want are soft synth upgrades (and not tied to Reaktor or Kontakt).

Yes, the synths were what made NI. But these days there are lots of good synths around. Samples are what continue to sustain the company, and have been for years now. It’s a little like continuing to complain about how MTV doesn’t play music videos anymore.

Neither of you have a blithering clue what "made" NI a successful business or what currently "sustains" their business, so stop talking out of your assess.
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER
ATS
KVRAF

5685 posts since 20 Dec, 2002, from MD USA
mholloway wrote:
deastman wrote:
VitaminD wrote:

Neither of you have a blithering clue what "made" NI a successful business or what currently "sustains" their business, so stop talking out of your assess.

All they had at the start were synths, so how would that not make them?
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

8619 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion
mholloway wrote:
deastman wrote:
VitaminD wrote:

You're the one posting such gems as this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=509697&p=7144658#p7144658

Relax and try not to take the comments about a company to heart... they're not family.
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
martinjuenke
KVRAF

2021 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany
EvilDragon wrote:Backwards compatibility is priority #1 for NI, so even if GUI changes, you'll still be able to load all your libraries from previous versions. And yes, they would look exactly the same.

I wouldn't say Kontakt is a victim of its own success, it's more likely that it's a victim of a number of things happening within NI internally throughout the years.

Perhaps NI should think about freezing the current Kontakt in terms of backwards compatibility and release a Kontakt X rewritten from scratch with all new features which makes a market leader...

Music was my first love...
Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music
ATS
KVRAF

5685 posts since 20 Dec, 2002, from MD USA
anyone know if it's possible to install the libraries on 2 hard drives or do they all have to be on the same one?
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16786 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia
martinjuenke wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Backwards compatibility is priority #1 for NI, so even if GUI changes, you'll still be able to load all your libraries from previous versions. And yes, they would look exactly the same.

I wouldn't say Kontakt is a victim of its own success, it's more likely that it's a victim of a number of things happening within NI internally throughout the years.

Perhaps NI should think about freezing the current Kontakt in terms of backwards compatibility and release a Kontakt X rewritten from scratch with all new features which makes a market leader...

Rewriting Kontakt from scratch won't happen I'm pretty sure.
mutantdog
KVRAF

1612 posts since 21 Sep, 2007, from The Infinite Void
Does anyone know if these expansions need to be installed in their entirety or if it's possible to just install the Battery kits and presets from each?
martinjuenke
KVRAF

2021 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany
mutantdog wrote:Does anyone know if these expansions need to be installed in their entirety or if it's possible to just install the Battery kits and presets from each?

You can delete the not used parts / subfolders after installation. No problem.

Music was my first love...
Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music
felis
KVRist

354 posts since 25 Jul, 2009
ATS wrote:anyone know if it's possible to install the libraries on 2 hard drives or do they all have to be on the same one?

I put some of the libraries on a second hard drive on my desktop.
aMUSEd
KVRAF

29552 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net
felis wrote:
ATS wrote:anyone know if it's possible to install the libraries on 2 hard drives or do they all have to be on the same one?

I put some of the libraries on a second hard drive on my desktop.

Yes me too - they don't all fit on my 500GB SSD so some are on my Firewire drive, they all load via quickload so I don't need to browse around.
glokraw
KVRAF

6441 posts since 6 Oct, 2004
Feature-freezing Kontakt seems sensible, in light of the
difficulties mentioned.

A business decision to make ready a modern replacement can be
based on the simple math of sales, sales trends,
new hardware advancements, and the projected competition.
(I'd want to know what's brewing in the Camel office over
at Apple headquarters, for one...worry when it's too quiet :wink: )

But the NI owner(s?) may also have personal and artistic concerns,
which dominate the financials. At the end of the work week,
you want to feel proud of the teams accomplishments,
on the way to the bank.
Cheers
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

6121 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:39 pm Re: KOMPLETE 12 & 12 ULTIMATE Leak! Massive X Synthesizer, Kontakt 6...

It’s a bit annoying that they make a v6 of kontakt when it clearly isn’t needed, because is it a separate plugin? Meaning old producers with kontakt wouldn’t be automatically replaced when you install the new kontakt, so you end up needing both the old one and the new one. For what reason? Couldn’t they have added the small number of new features to the existing one? No need for a new vst name. And I think they know it because they hardly promoted the new kontakt since there is barely anything worth talking about. Only do a new version when you really need to.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16786 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia
They've been adding small and not so small number of new features for 6 years into Kontakt 5, making it the single most long-lived version number of Kontakt ever. At some point you gotta make the cut. :)

Also, this time around, there's no version number in the plugin name. It's just "Kontakt". Maybe that means we're going for more continuous/agile update cycles from this point onward, and no "Kontakt 7" or others ("this is the last version of Windows, ever"), I guess time will tell.
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments