Tone2 Gladiator 3 (public beta)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gladiator 4

"Welcome". :)

I really should use my Tone2 products more than I do. They are awesome.

Looking forward to G3.

wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:TBH, i couldn't be arsed to create an extensive list to compare as well though. ;) I don't have a doubt that Zebra is the more complex and deeper synth though. FWIW. I also tend to more simple synths. Thing is just, both are priced the same, and one offers much less, which leads to the point again. Ok, no point in further arguments, they pick the price, and everyone is free to say yes or no.
Ultimately, that's what it comes down to. And I think that's what the majority of the people do in picking U-he synths over Tone 2 synths. In fact, I don't think Tone 2 synths sell well at all. Or at least didn't until maybe the recent changes.

Case in point. Everybody here pretty much unanimously agrees that my patch libraries are crap. So, given that, all of them should pretty much do as poorly sales wise.

Here are the numbers U-he versus Tone 2 out of my 67 libraries.

Zebra 2 - 5th
Bazille - 9th
Repro-5 - 14th
Diva - 16th
Repro-1 - 17th
ACE - 26th

Icarus - 27th
Electra 2 - 40th
Rayblaster - 41st
Saurus 2 - 45th
Nemesis - 59th

As you can see, outside of Icarus, which didn't even outsell a basically simple synth like ACE, none of the Tone 2 synths even come close to the U-he synths in sales.

So given all things being equal, as in all my libraries are crap, it's clearly obvious that U-he has a much larger customer base than Tone 2. I know that if I get a U-he synth and make a library for it, it's pretty much guaranteed to fall somewhere in my top 20 libraries. Tone 2 is pretty much guaranteed to do poorly.

And I think it's because of their inflated prices.

Can I prove this? Of course not. But I think it's a valid theory.

Not really, I went to your site and listened (admittedly not to all) the libraries of some of the synths you've covered. You wonder why some sell better than others, its purely down to how you market the banks for the synths in question. I listened to the Dune2 and Electra2 demos, the Dune2 instantly grabbed my attention, the Electra2 sounded awful, like it was just an 8 bit synth. E2 is capable of so much as is any synth tbh, but the demo on soundcloud you put up was anything but attention grabbing. So in terms of your own sales, using that as a point of reference, holds no water.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

PC only?
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

changed the OP accordingly

himalaya wrote:PC only?
Markus almost always starts with PC only as beta and by the 2nd or 3rd Beta when he has fixed all the bugs reported he releases the first Mac beta, in line with that PC version.

On a parallel note, now that I am going thru the patches to give them star ratings I see a few with H. I assume that was you. Never realised before you had done some patches for Gladiator 2.

rsp
sound sculptist

I can't temember now, but I think any patches of mine you found are from the Gladiator 1 days...
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

wagtunes wrote: ...Case in point. Everybody here pretty much unanimously agrees that my patch libraries are crap. So, given that, all of them should pretty much do as poorly sales wise.
:lol: Every once and a while you pull off some awesome self-deprecating humor (and I expect a response along the lines of "that wasn't humor, just facts." )

My bases are covered with other synths though I'm always eyeballing the Tone2 stuff (especially Nemesis) - even there, I've enough FM going on, but it's a different workflow, and you always come up with different sounds that way. However, I think the price may have put me off a bit. They do have sales (as they are currently running), so there's that...

It's really hard to tell from our own "bubbles" what's popular. Case in point - I don't hear a lot about Elektron's gear and none of the local stores stock them . I figured they were more popular in Europe maybe. But I've met a bunch of people gigging - largely electronic / experimental music - with hardware rigs, and almost everyone has some piece of Elektron gear, even with the (relatively) high price and sometimes wonky workflow. So I asked a friend at GC what drives some of the in-store stock. He said that the Monologue, for example, was a huge seller on the floor not just because of price, but because of presets. Different customer base, different needs.

It may be that U-he synths for example, sell a bit better to people who purchase soundsets, while Tone2 sell better to the experimental crowd, etc (that doesn't explain Wags' Softube sales anomaly though - I'd never expect a lot of soundsets for a modular).

Meanwhile, I'll keep my eye on Tone2 - good to see these developers sticking around and updating.

wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:TBH, i couldn't be arsed to create an extensive list to compare as well though. ;) I don't have a doubt that Zebra is the more complex and deeper synth though. FWIW. I also tend to more simple synths. Thing is just, both are priced the same, and one offers much less, which leads to the point again. Ok, no point in further arguments, they pick the price, and everyone is free to say yes or no.
Ultimately, that's what it comes down to. And I think that's what the majority of the people do in picking U-he synths over Tone 2 synths. In fact, I don't think Tone 2 synths sell well at all. Or at least didn't until maybe the recent changes.

Case in point. Everybody here pretty much unanimously agrees that my patch libraries are crap. So, given that, all of them should pretty much do as poorly sales wise.

Zebra 2 - 5th
Bazille - 9th
Repro-5 - 14th
Diva - 16th
Repro-1 - 17th
ACE - 26th

Icarus - 27th
Electra 2 - 40th
Rayblaster - 41st
Saurus 2 - 45th
Nemesis - 59th

As you can see, outside of Icarus, which didn't even outsell a basically simple synth like ACE, none of the Tone 2 synths even come close to the U-he synths in sales.

So given all things being equal, as in all my libraries are crap, it's clearly obvious that U-he has a much larger customer base than Tone 2. I know that if I get a U-he synth and make a library for it, it's pretty much guaranteed to fall somewhere in my top 20 libraries. Tone 2 is pretty much guaranteed to do poorly.

Tone2 has a lot of soundsets for each of their synths so maybe people are just buying from them and not as much from you.

Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Zebra 2 - 5th
Bazille - 9th
Repro-5 - 14th
Diva - 16th
Repro-1 - 17th
ACE - 26th

Icarus - 27th
Electra 2 - 40th
Rayblaster - 41st
Saurus 2 - 45th
Nemesis - 59th

Tone2 has a lot of soundsets for each of their synths so maybe people are just buying from them and not as much from you.
That's a possibility but doesn't U-he have a lot of libraries too?

I just checked and they have
10 for Zebra
4 for Diva
2 for Hive
1 for Repro
1 for Bazille.

Tone2 soundsets:
16 for Electra2
9 for Icarus
8 for Saurus
6 for Nemesis
5 for Rayblaster
5 for Gladiator.
Last edited by Examigan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't think Tone2 sells nearly as many licenses as U-he. It also shows in the Marketplace forum, where U-he stuff is sold and wanted much more frequently.
Tone2 synths are not bad, then again, they are not leading in anything, either. They don't really have a reputation in the popular analog emulation world, for instance.

I own one tone2 synth,BUT I'd probably own more, if they we're a bit lower priced.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

My biggest gripe with Tone2 is their user interfaces.
With Gladiator for instance envelopes are ADSFR, but with the aux envelopes the F is not in the same line as ADSR, unlike with the main envelopes. I hate such lack of consistency. Not to mention that they used the same knobs for everything, so the envelope controls are not set apart in any way. Actually, I hate knobs for envelopes to begin with.

Return to “Instruments”