Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
rlared
KVRist

97 posts since 1 Aug, 2016

Postby rlared; Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:32 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

martinjuenke wrote:
rlared wrote:So I ended up buying UVI Falcon yesterday. . . super excited to get into it. I'm hoping it can be the single platform I use for all my synthesizer and sampling needs!

You‘ll be disappointed soon! Remember my words...

I agree that Komplete and Komplete Kontrol are a great thing to have. But for me they just weren't inspiring my creativity. For presets it's unbeatable but as soon as you get into tweaking, then you're dealing with like 10 different synths (and two of those synths, Kontact and Reaktor, are then subdivided into many more synths). End of the day, I just wasn't enjoying it. Better to sell and try something else!
EnGee
KVRAF

4683 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Postby EnGee; Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:55 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

rlared wrote:So I ended up buying UVI Falcon yesterday. . . super excited to get into it. I'm hoping it can be the single platform I use for all my synthesizer and sampling needs!

Good luck with Falcon. I have heard positive things about it :tu:
My lovely setup: Windows 10, Reason 10, Cubase 9.5, AudioBox iTwo, Casio PX-5S, Korg microKey & nanoKontrol and a bunch of great soft synths and instruments :)
Benjamin923
KVRist

68 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Postby Benjamin923; Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

rlared wrote:Slight clarification. . . I know a decent amount about synthesis. I'm no expert, but I have some idea of which parameters to tweak for what things. I just struggle with building sounds from scratch, probably because I just need more practice.

I found that looking at presets I really like in a synth and then finding out how they work and recreating them from scratch is a very helpful teaching method.
_al_
KVRist

258 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Postby _al_; Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:49 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

fluffy_little_something wrote:20 mins for a soundscape seems a lot to you?! 8)
I have spent hours on a single bass sound :hihi:

A bass sound is never finished until the track is finished :hihi:
liv
KVRian

1335 posts since 26 Feb, 2013, from Sweden

Postby liv; Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

Excellent choice. Took me some time and now I'm abducted.
liv
KVRian

1335 posts since 26 Feb, 2013, from Sweden

Postby liv; Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:13 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

Have to say, when reading OP, sounds your match more likely leans towards RePro and that area.

Falcon is to me fantastic, the possibilities are remarkable to say the least. Again, abducted is the word.
Hope it kicks you with inspiration.
EnGee
KVRAF

4683 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Postby EnGee; Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

Benjamin923 wrote:
rlared wrote:Slight clarification. . . I know a decent amount about synthesis. I'm no expert, but I have some idea of which parameters to tweak for what things. I just struggle with building sounds from scratch, probably because I just need more practice.

I found that looking at presets I really like in a synth and then finding out how they work and recreating them from scratch is a very helpful teaching method.

I sometimes analyse some presets to understand the structure of the sound then I go read about that specific module or function that I don't understand fully.

There are however two learning: a general knowledge about synthesis and a specific knowledge about this or that synth.

I start with the manual and get playing while progressing, this way it's mostly I start from scratch, so it's a good practice. Then when I begin to know the synth well, I decide what kind of a preset I want to start programming (bass, lead, pad or just an effect) then I keep trying to reach what's in my head by adding another function.

Or, just tweaking an existing preset, which I prefer doing mostly :hihi: but to have the best results, still I need to understand what I'm doing ;)
My lovely setup: Windows 10, Reason 10, Cubase 9.5, AudioBox iTwo, Casio PX-5S, Korg microKey & nanoKontrol and a bunch of great soft synths and instruments :)
rlared
KVRist

Postby rlared; Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:00 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

Falcon has a lot of promise. I am also demoing Halion 6 as well. I will have a death match between them and only one will stay and will be my one and only synth after that.

Good news is I qualify for the crossgrade price for Halion if I decide to buy it. Will report back since I know a lot of people seem to be curious which is a better fit for them!
zzz00m
KVRian

1015 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

Three High-end Hybrid Synths – A Side-by-side Comparison (Omnisphere 2, HALion 5 and Falcon)

http://soundbytesmag.net/threehighendhy ... omparison/
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
rlared
KVRist

Postby rlared; Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

zzz00m wrote:Three High-end Hybrid Synths – A Side-by-side Comparison (Omnisphere 2, HALion 5 and Falcon)

Thanks. . . I already have read that and pretty much every other comparison online though 8)

All the reviews essentially come down to preference and what you want to use it for. So I think the only way to really decide is to test both of them and see which I like better.
zzz00m
KVRian

1015 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

rlared wrote:
zzz00m wrote:Three High-end Hybrid Synths – A Side-by-side Comparison (Omnisphere 2, HALion 5 and Falcon)

Thanks. . . I already have read that and pretty much every other comparison online though 8)

All the reviews essentially come down to preference and what you want to use it for. So I think the only way to really decide is to test both of them and see which I like better.

Looking forward to your detailed review, after you decide... :tu:
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
rlared
KVRist

Postby rlared; Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:35 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

OK after a few days of testing both synths I have reached a verdict. For me, the best option is. . . Halion 6! But honestly they are both phenomenal programs. Now my personal pros and cons list.

Falcon Pros:
Interface can be scaled by percentages
Drag and Drop Oscillators, Modulation, etc
Built-in effects are fantastic
Simple one-file installer (requires Ilok but no dongle)
Huge amount of synthesis options and gazillions of ways to tweak

Falcon Cons:
Small amount of factory presets and content
No "undo"
Easy to accidentally delete components of your synth
Simple categorized list for presets (no database)
No CPU multicore support
Limited setup / configuraton options
$25 iLok transfer fee to transfer license
No demo / no crossgrade discount

Halion 6 Pros:
UI is modular, resizeable and very configurable
Comes with a ton of factory content including acoustic and synth instruments and sounds, and Halion 3 Sonic (which is just a "light" version of Halion 6 basically).
Flexible. . . included instruments have pretty nice macro interface (like Kontact instruments) if you feel like using a traditional VST plugin interface, or you can edit it through Halion's interface.
Advanced sampler and wavetable functionality
Good database for browsing presets
Multi-core support
30-day Demo / cross-grade discount

Halion 6 Cons:
Installation is kind of a pain (Steinberg download -> Halion 6 Installer -> Installation of multiple packages -> Updates of multiple packages -> Steinberg elicenser). However, dongle is not required.
License must be transferred to dongle to resell, which makes selling it more unlikely in my case
No dedicated FM (though there is FM-like ways to modify the synth oscillators)
FX parameters can't be a destination for modulation.

I would advise to not compare them based on presets because many of the Halion 6 presets are older, whereas the Falcon presets are newer. When I dove into both synths, I found them to be pretty comparable in terms of sound and effects quality (both sound freaking awesome).

It really comes down to how you plan to use it. If you are someone who just wants to create your own synths sounds, I'd recommend Falcon because it's more of a tweaker / sound-designer's paradise, and I'd say the interface is more inviting to get totally creative and try new things. But if you are someone who wants access to acoustic sounds in addition to still having very advanced synthesis and sampling functionality, I'd recommend Halion 6.

Of course, if you buy a bunch of UVI libraries you can level the playing field in terms of content and acoustic instruments. But I didn't want to spend more than around $200-$300.

For me, as someone who loves to layer acoustic and synth sounds as well as make my own synth sounds, Halion 6 made more sense to me as the right plugin to use as my only synth platform.

Good luck for those who are struggling with a similar decision!!
Mathematics
KVRist

212 posts since 10 Sep, 2015, from You haven't unlocked this character yet

Postby Mathematics; Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

Without hesitation, Omnisphere.

If I might add. One synth I still suggest to people is Sylenth, only because there are thousands of useable presets created by everyone. I know there are literally, probably several hundred thousand presets out there but out of them all...there's probably a couple thousand that I would consider as the best.

I have a feeling you're quest may require more than one Synth in the long run. The main reason is because of interface variation. So, yea...pump it up!
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"
martinjuenke
KVRAF

1547 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:21 pm Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

I‘m really looking forward to helping you finding the right wife...
We will discuss that task in due scrutiny. Hope so (with pictures please...)
Music was my first love ...
atmospheric electronic music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com
rlared
KVRist

Postby rlared; Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 am Re: New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

martinjuenke wrote:I‘m really looking forward to helping you finding the right wife...
We will discuss that task in due scrutiny. Hope so (with pictures please...)

I have no idea what you're talking about my friend
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments