Do you still use abandoned vsts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's all in the subject really. I'm curious to know peoples thoughts on using unsupported/abandoned vsts in the knowledge that the next OS update could render it unusable. In my case I'm deciding whether or not to remove Camel Alchemy 1.5. It still works, though takes ages to load. I've kept it till now because there's nothing else quite like it. I don't care about future development, I'm just concerned that it won't be fixed if an update breaks it. That said, I can live without it and I'm tempted to get Quanta for granular synthesis. I guess the alternative is to carry on using Alchemy, but make sure I bounce everything I do with it.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by mgiambro on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Still use discontinued DAW and OS. 8)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Sure do!! Don't know what I'd do without Cakewalk Soundstage. Good thing I use Reaper that has no problem mixing 64 and 32 bit plugins.

mgiambro wrote:It's all in the subject really. I'm curious to know peoples thoughts on using unsupported/abandoned vsts in the knowledge that the next OS update could render it unusable.
Not sure which OS you are talking about, but, none of the Windows updates, even from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, or the couple of big half yearly updates have broken any VST's here... but, maybe you are talking about Mac OS?
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zexila wrote:Still use discontinued DAW and OS. 8)
+1
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Love 'em!
In future years I won't upgrade OS, but leave my perfect system as-is. 8)
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

DR-008.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

I'd guess at least 30% of the VST's i'm using are discontinued...

Thanks for the replies.
chk071 wrote: Not sure which OS you are talking about, but, none of the Windows updates, even from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, or the couple of big half yearly updates have broken any VST's here... but, maybe you are talking about Mac OS?
I'm on Windows 10, an old version of it. My music pc is offline and I only intend to update it unless I have to i.e. if a DAW update requires it. Same for me, I've never had an update break a vst, though reading around other threads the general opinion seems to be that a discontinued vst could be fine for years, but a DAW or OS update could introduce an incompatability, and of course if it does, it's not going to get fixed.

Iris 1
Spectral

mgiambro wrote:Thanks for the replies.
chk071 wrote: Not sure which OS you are talking about, but, none of the Windows updates, even from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, or the couple of big half yearly updates have broken any VST's here... but, maybe you are talking about Mac OS?
I'm on Windows 10, an old version of it. My music pc is offline and I only intend to update it unless I have to i.e. if a DAW update requires it. Same for me, I've never had an update break a vst, though reading around other threads the general opinion seems to be that a discontinued vst could be fine for years, but a DAW or OS update could introduce an incompatability, and of course if it does, it's not going to get fixed.
You're right, it could. In general though, Microsoft always has been keen on keeping software compatible. There's really very, very few software which won't run on Windows 10. And, i can't see big potential in VST plugins which could break compatibility.

Aloysius wrote:
Zexila wrote:Still use discontinued DAW and OS. 8)
+1
Count me in! Two discontinued OS-es, a (somewhat) discontinued DAW and some discontinued plugs, both Camel synthesizers, Pro53, Quadra SID, some Linplug stuff.

Well, the responses seem to be pretty one-sided. You're doing a good job of convincing me to stick with Alchemy :) . Out of interest though, has anyone had a DAW or OS update cause a vst not to work? Also, it's interesting to see people using discontinued DAWs. Which ones? I'm guessing EnergyXT 1.4 is still used a lot.

Yes, and specifically, Alchemy 1.5 on a regular basis. I now use two others also that have a similar survival knife approach, but neither of them have the same character that Camel has.

Still using Sonar Platinum.
Still have Rapture, Z3ta & Iris installed

mgiambro wrote:Also, it's interesting to see people using discontinued DAWs. Which ones? I'm guessing EnergyXT 1.4 is still used a lot.
Logic 9 here, but any DAW behind newest one is discontinued, so yeah. :ud:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Return to “Instruments”