Do you still use abandoned vsts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
punkfest2000 wrote:One that I wish I had was Terratec Komplexor
It's such a shame that it's only available in 32-bit, and can't be installed or run under a 64-bit system, unless you hack into the system, or use the warezed version. Great sounding synth. I use Largo instaed today, and don't really miss it. It was pretty buggy as well, and almost is more CPU hungry than Largo anyway.
So, you cannot bridge it? 'Installing' most synths is just a question of copying the right files in a certain location.

It has a nasty CD protection, which only works under 32-bit systems. Unless you hack the registry, and tell the installers that you use a former Windows version, or so. As a legit owner of Komplexer, my solution was to use a warezed version of the plugin. Unfortunately the only way to use it, and perfectly legal in Germany, BTW.

It may work with a bridge then. But, i always found bridging plugins very clumsy, and problematic. I ALWAYS had the one or the other GUI issue with the plugins i tried to bridge, in host whioch have a birdge (or, used to have a bridge, like Cubase). Anyway, Largo is close enough for me, and, it's 64-bit. I don't have any 32-bit plugin installed anymore. Just not worth it.

layzer wrote:do you still drive a new car a few weeks after you buy it? hmmmmmmmmm :idea:
Did you actually read the post? ..

sjm wrote:To be extra safe, I only ever use VSTs on the same day an update has been released. That's the only way I can be sure it's not been discontinued.

After that, I can't be sure what the status is. It might have been the last update ever for all I know. Better safe than sorry as they say.
Hilarious.

S0lo wrote:
low_low wrote:I think for actual studios it would be important to have configurations that did not change, meaning that you treat the vst and the computer its on like it is a piece of equipment that doesn't get changed once it is working
I always do this. No OS updates, just an antivirus and a the OS builtin firewall. With imaging/backup software on the side for any emergencies. Or something like RollbackRX. Every 6 to 8 years, a hardrive failure is expected. So I just buy a new drive, image restore from the backup. And I'm back in business.
+1. That sounds like a very good strategy.

There are a bunch of boutique freeware VSTs from the mid-2000's where the developers disappeared, their website following suite.

Land of Cockaigne, Betabegs, Kjaerhus, SmartElectronix, navigating what's left of their websites is like exploring ruins.

I tried to use Massive and Absynth but they are so old I got no satisfaction with them so I sold them. I mean they are so old it's embarrassing and people get angry when you use them. And whats with the color of Absynth? Is it someones idea of the sick joke? Native instruments should move in the 2000th century already.

Oopi wrote:I tried to use Massive and Absynth but they are so old I got no satisfaction with them so I sold them. I mean they are so old it's embarrassing and people get angry when you use them.
Just a curious question. Would you have said the same thing if the exact same sounds came from a beautiful $1000+ piece of hardware?
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Return to “Instruments”