Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Past To The Future

Arturia's 21 classic synth and keyboard emulations REBORN!

HALF PRICE SALE NOW ON.

Go "Past To The Future" with Arturia.

Read more at www.arturia.com
User avatar
EDGEK8D
KVRist
 
111 posts since 31 Aug, 2013, from Chicagoland, USA

Postby EDGEK8D; Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:56 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

THE OG Classic freeware softsynth!

I haven’t used Crystal in ages, I’m talking “I barely know how to do anything” ages.

Forget the sampled sounds. There is literally no end to what you can do with this synth.

I need to look at the manual....is there one?

All I need is an initialized patch and I’m set.

Quick question: is there a filter env amount somewhere? Am I missing it? Or is it that you just adjust the level of the attack portion? That doesn’t really sound right to me though.

I expect to hear some amazing ring-modded/FM clangy percussive tones this month.

Good luck to all.
Logic Pro X : DSI MEK : ShruthiXT: Virus B : JX3P (Kiwi) : Minibrute : OB Matrix 6R : Roland Studio Capture : MOTU Micro Express : Senn HD600
The Chase
KVRAF
 
10541 posts since 12 Jun, 2004, from Alberto Balsam

Postby The Chase; Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:58 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

EDGEK8D wrote:THE OG Classic freeware softsynth!

I haven’t used Crystal in ages, I’m talking “I barely know how to do anything” ages.

Forget the sampled sounds. There is literally no end to what you can do with this synth.

I need to look at the manual....is there one?

All I need is an initialized patch and I’m set.

Quick question: is there a filter env amount somewhere? Am I missing it? Or is it that you just adjust the level of the attack portion? That doesn’t really sound right to me though.

I expect to hear some amazing ring-modded/FM clangy percussive tones this month.

Good luck to all.


Same here! I remember opening it up and thinking it's so complicated. And the CPU usage was considered brutal for the time.

For sure, the clang with a touch of FM/RM makes for some really good metallic percussion. Teamed with the extensive envelopes it's kind of a percussive dream.

teilo wrote:
bh9090 wrote:Wow. I think I used this thing in the 90s. :lol: Can't believe it's still going.


So that explains the UI. First thing I thought: Straight out of the 90s.


Not sure if you're serious but Crystal's updated GUI was considered pretty good for the time. 90's synths looked much much worse:

Image
User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRian
 
793 posts since 6 Jan, 2017, from Outer Space

Postby Tj Shredder; Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:59 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

I did not find any place to define pitch bend, do I have to set it up in the modulation part? Pitch bend is the crucial parameter for expressive playing...
functionform
KVRist
 
194 posts since 13 May, 2017, from Virginia

Postby functionform; Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:53 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

Yep, modulate the voice pitches. The nice thing about that setup is that you can have one env control multiple pitches.
User avatar
eraze the borders
KVRist
 
124 posts since 4 Apr, 2012, from Berlin, Germany

Postby eraze the borders; Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:49 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

I really like this synth!

But has anyone else problems with tempo-syncing the lfo rate? It doesn't seem to work for me. I'm using Reaper.

EDIT:

Classical user fault, now I understood the logic behind it. Cycles per beat! :roll: :D
Failure is success in progress.
User avatar
] Peter:H [
KVRian
 
550 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:06 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

I'm sorry to ask the stupid question again - Are we allowed to use the built in Samples for our patches. I know that bj asked us to use synthesized stuff and that some of you guys asked the same question...anyway, I haven't found a answer from bj in this thread or did I just miss it... Help / Instructions appreciated

] Peter:H [
User avatar
H-man
KVRian
 
638 posts since 26 Dec, 2007, from Australia

Postby H-man; Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:48 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

bjporter wrote:Note: To keep things simple and within the spirit of the challenge, please use synthesized oscillator types only. No sound fonts / samples.


I would say that is Crystal clear. Sorry, could not contain myself :ud:
User avatar
H-man
KVRian
 
638 posts since 26 Dec, 2007, from Australia

Postby H-man; Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:55 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

Much respect to your advanced sample granular mangling technique PH, but let's face it tho, this will hardly be a limitation given the scope of the synth.

On another note, any one else getting crashes when modding various things with the LFO's? Can't cause this on demand but have managed to crash Studio One and Live so far.
User avatar
] Peter:H [
KVRian
 
550 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:05 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

H-man wrote:
bjporter wrote:Note: To keep things simple and within the spirit of the challenge, please use synthesized oscillator types only. No sound fonts / samples.


I would say that is Crystal clear. Sorry, could not contain myself :ud:


Never mind...then I have to find a replacement for one of the aux presets, thats still in the mix.
Anyway if you like to listen to what I put forward in terms of crystal clear mix - punchy electro in ya face, turn up the volume and enjoy. Just a short loop repeated several times, hope I don't get bored and will finish it.
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/osc- ... ip/s-XHeNo
User avatar
H-man
KVRian
 
638 posts since 26 Dec, 2007, from Australia

Postby H-man; Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:37 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

That is definitely a solid start Peter H. Solid mix and drives hard. Nice envelope work too.

On the other hand I have just spent the last hour mostly listening to feedback from the delays section.

Limiters On people! :scared: :clown:
functionform
KVRist
 
194 posts since 13 May, 2017, from Virginia

Postby functionform; Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

The Chase wrote:Not sure if you're serious but Crystal's updated GUI was considered pretty good for the time. 90's synths looked much much worse:

Image


I won't lie, I wish vsts came in ironic retro guis.
User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRian
 
793 posts since 6 Jan, 2017, from Outer Space

Postby Tj Shredder; Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:08 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

Tj Shredder wrote:I did not find any place to define pitch bend, do I have to set it up in the modulation part? Pitch bend is the crucial parameter for expressive playing...


functionform wrote:Yep, modulate the voice pitches. The nice thing about that setup is that you can have one env control multiple pitches.


The not so nice thing, there is no pitch bend in the modulation sources. The sounds I get out of Crystal are nice, but without the basic and essential expression I'll probably skip also this round and rather get something patched up in Reaktor... Looking forward to the results though...
ontrackp
KVRian
 
600 posts since 13 Jan, 2013, from United States

Postby ontrackp; Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:39 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

Crystal question -- anyone know how to modulate LFO depth? It's easy to modulate oscillator pitch with an LFO, but I can't figure out which parameter modulates LFO depth. None of the obvious routings seem to work. Thanks.
User avatar
H-man
KVRian
 
638 posts since 26 Dec, 2007, from Australia

Postby H-man; Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:57 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

ontrackp wrote:Crystal question -- anyone know how to modulate LFO depth? It's easy to modulate oscillator pitch with an LFO, but I can't figure out which parameter modulates LFO depth. None of the obvious routings seem to work. Thanks.


Studio One can see all 778 parameters (Named and unamed). Live is different, one just tweaks the control and it creates a parameter in sequence (eg. parameter 1 ...2 ...3 etc.) and you have to name them if you are the neat and tidy type.

FLS on the other hand only sees the Named Parameters in the browser and you can access the others via the Last Tweaked menu (Tools).

So I guess it depends on which DAW you are using?
ontrackp
KVRian
 
600 posts since 13 Jan, 2013, from United States

Postby ontrackp; Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:59 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

H-man wrote:
ontrackp wrote:Crystal question -- anyone know how to modulate LFO depth? It's easy to modulate oscillator pitch with an LFO, but I can't figure out which parameter modulates LFO depth. None of the obvious routings seem to work. Thanks.


Studio One can see all 778 parameters (Named and unamed). Live is different, one just tweaks the control and it creates a parameter in sequence (eg. parameter 1 ...2 ...3 etc.) and you have to name them if you are the neat and tidy type.

FLS on the other hand only sees the Named Parameters in the browser and you can access the others via the Last Tweaked menu (Tools).

So I guess it depends on which DAW you are using?


I use Logic Pro X, and I could probably start digging in and find the appropriate parameter and assign a midi CC or just use track or region automation, but I was really hoping there would be an easy way to assign, let's say, a Modulation envelope to ramp the LFO depth up so the note starts clear and then the pitch mod eases in. That would be a pretty typical modulation routing. But thanks!
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments