The KVR Audio website is moving to a new server - please expect some disruption to services over the next 24-48 hours.

During the final stages of the transition several services will be disabled on the old server, such as new user registrations, KVR Marketplace transactions, developer admin features, forum search, posting in the forum, etc.

Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
zarf
KVRist

339 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Postby zarf; Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:03 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

mmGhost wrote:sadly i'm not gonna make the submit deadline, but i did have 2 concepts in the works. very versatile little guy. have a listen, or not. peace!

Nice stuff! I think you would be in with a good chance if you submit the Liquid idea, even without much more work - it sounds great already. Most impressive :tu: (They are both great)
EscapeControl
KVRist

33 posts since 31 Aug, 2017, from Netherlands

Postby EscapeControl; Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:13 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

mmGhost wrote:it was fun to dust off Crystal. definitely some nostalgia from when i first got into this ridiculous hobby, to be sure. kind of funny how much i used "swirl" sound font back in the day. even with only the synthesized waveforms this thing really still has a lot to offer.

sadly i'm not gonna make the submit deadline, but i did have 2 concepts in the works. very versatile little guy. have a listen, or not. peace!

whooaa... love the 1st one ... even if you don't end up finishing it before the deadline, finish it later plz? :hyper:
FM bells make me happy :D
VCA-089
KVRer

12 posts since 26 Jun, 2018

Postby VCA-089; Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:49 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

So, here is my "last minute before deadline" submission.

My meeting with this classic synth started with technical issues. I will not cover all bad aspects of it's behavior, but the wierdest thing I ever saw dealing with software synths is that it randomizes preset parameters (or morths to another preset? I don't know how to explain this) when you save your project in a DAW. For example, you have a tom preset and when you save the project, it gets screwed up: different envelopes, modulations, mixer layout - an entirely new sound. This forced me to turn off autosaves and check all my instances if some of them are broken, after I saved my project manually.

I found this synth very capable of producing electronic percussion. You have three separate voices with individual filters, envelopes and ring/FM modulators, that can produce sine waves and some kind of digital wavetables, perfect for cymbals an other metallic percussion, plus you have extrnal modulators. All this stuff can help you to make very detailed bass drums, snare drums, toms, cymbals that responds to velocity as a real instrument. I also found this synth capable of making soundscapes, but there were very small space for such ideas in the context of my track.

This month I was busy and had a very small amount of time to work on a track, so it could sound unfinished, unpolished, badly mixed etc. I wanted to make a hard electronic/techno/acid/rave this month and I was inspired by the interveiws with Mick Gordon (a composer for Doom 2016). This track is rather funny experiment than finished idea. I was struggling so many times to find the right sound for it. There were many good ideas thrown away because they didn't fit into context of the track. This synth has brought me both joy and frustration, so may be the track will bring you the same.

https://soundcloud.com/vca089/crystalline-doom-osc-114

DAW: FL Studio
22 instances of Crystal used

As usual, many plugins (50+ instaces), such as TDR & VOS SlickEQ, Sonimus SonEQ, VOS DensityMKIII, VOS epicVerb, Thomas Mundt LoudMax, Vladg Molot on the drums, many Soundspot filters, native FL Studio EQs, delays, reverbs, gain, sidechain compressors and other miscellaneous things.

Master Chain:
TDR Nova
TDR Kotelnikov
Voxengo MSED
Vladg Limiter6
My CPU died...
Last edited by VCA-089 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bh9090
KVRist

268 posts since 7 Dec, 2006, from Richmond, VA, USA

Postby bh9090; Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:55 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/bh9090 ... ky-cleaner

32 instances in Live 10. EQs, Compressors, Delays, Reverb, Limiter, Saturator, Overdrive.
3rd party: TAL Reverb 4.
onerob
KVRist

185 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Postby onerob; Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:56 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

Hope I'm not too late and the track isn't too short?

13 instances of Crystal including five for drums and two for the main bass part.

DAW: Logic
Stock Plugins: EQs, delay, reverb, stereo widening, and master bus compression
Free 3rd party plugins: Freeverb, IVGI, Limiter No6, Airwindows (VariMu, HardVacuum, Pressure4, BussColors4, Channel6)

https://soundcloud.com/amber-days/onero ... al-display
574X
KVRist

188 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:55 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

Well I had to at least check what the synth was for the month, and ah, what a treat.

Crystal is a synth that I consider to be one of the greatest of all time. IIRC it’s the predecessor to Omnisphere. It's easier to explain what Crystal cannot do, rather than all that it can.

Crystal appears rather straightforward to me now, and is a pleasure to use (after years of in-depth synthesis experience, but when I first started out, and even still for years I found it extremely unintuitive. It wasn’t until I designed countless gui’s and synthesizers that I found the many aspects of Crystal’s technical gui manipulation to be very natural and actually extremely efficiently implemented).

Please feel free to enjoy today's experiments:

https://soundcloud.com/unknownchallenge ... -kvrosc114

18x Crystal Synthesizer
No effects other than mastering:
GStereo > SonEQ > DC1A2 > Aradaz Maximizer > JS: Event Horizon Clipper > Unlimited
I prefer to work on records that aspire to greater things, like originality, personality and enthusiasm. - Steve Albini
L-EctroBit
KVRist

50 posts since 30 Sep, 2015

Postby L-EctroBit; Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:50 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

Hi, my entry this month.

https://soundcloud.com/l-ectrobit/l-ect ... -lectrosky

Track name: LectroSky

Crystal by Green Oak x 55

DAW: Cakewalk by BandLab

Cakewalk Stock Plugins:
Sonitus Reverb
Sonitus Delay
Sonitus Compressor
Sonitus Equalizer
Boost11
ProChannel FXs (EQ, Compressor, Breverb 2, Console Emulator Bus, Tube)
Style Dial FX: Depth, Smoother

3rd Party Plugins:
ReaComp
GSpace
Bass Professor Mark II
Tempo Delay
NastyDLA MK II
DD AutoPan
DD Filter
MBandPass
OTT
TAL-Reverb III
DD Equaliser
Voxengo Tube Amp

:tu:
zarf
KVRist

339 posts since 20 Jan, 2013
Good luck everyone.

I couldn't make the deadline - this is the first one I've missed since I started, making it a run of 33 months and failing at the 34th :dog:

Had a track very nearly ready, got set to start working on it through the night and then woke up tomorrow :hihi:
marks-a-whybikky
KVRist

108 posts since 30 Jul, 2007

Postby marks-a-whybikky; Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:38 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak (Voting time!)

… and again i can not finish my submission this month. i am so sorry. it is a great synth!
... here is my WorkInProgress. Not mixed well and without any composition …. hope you enjoy …. :phones:

https://soundcloud.com/marks-a-whybikky/wip-osc-114

21 x Crystal
DAW: StudioOne 3
Host Plugins: ProEQs, Compressors, OpenAirs (reverbs), BeatDelay
mmGhost
KVRist

186 posts since 24 Aug, 2009, from CO, USA

Postby mmGhost; Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:20 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

zarf wrote:Nice stuff! I think you would be in with a good chance if you submit the Liquid idea, even without much more work - it sounds great already. Most impressive :tu: (They are both great)

heh thx, social life got the best of me last night so i'm out for this run. GL!
Soundcloud | Spotify | YouTube Tutorials
"Just sidechain everything to everything"
574X
KVRist

Postby 574X; Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:17 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

WilliamK wrote:Guys, you can update the freebie from us to: Wusik Station V9, Wusik 8008, Wusik SQ200 and Wusik P2000. :cool:

Cheers, WilliamK

SQ200 is a very commendable undertaking. :hail: I love it and I even tried to use the demo for the OSC. When it first was born, it wasn't stable enough. It has a somewhat steep learning curve, but seems very rewarding for automatically getting into the zone of creativity without thinking about peripherals, etc.

Best of luck in further development! :love:
I prefer to work on records that aspire to greater things, like originality, personality and enthusiasm. - Steve Albini
WilliamK
KVRAF

3848 posts since 11 Jun, 2001, from Wusik Dot Com

Postby WilliamK; Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:59 am Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak

574X wrote:
WilliamK wrote:Guys, you can update the freebie from us to: Wusik Station V9, Wusik 8008, Wusik SQ200 and Wusik P2000. :cool:

Cheers, WilliamK

SQ200 is a very commendable undertaking. :hail: I love it and I even tried to use the demo for the OSC. When it first was born, it wasn't stable enough. It has a somewhat steep learning curve, but seems very rewarding for automatically getting into the zone of creativity without thinking about peripherals, etc.

Best of luck in further development! :love:

Oh, thanks! :hug:

Cheers. WilliamK
574X
KVRist

zarf wrote:Good luck everyone.

I couldn't make the deadline - this is the first one I've missed since I started, making it a run of 33 months and failing at the 34th :dog:

Had a track very nearly ready, got set to start working on it through the night and then woke up tomorrow :hihi:

Better late than never :tu:
I always look forward to your unique entries, zarf. You often help raise the bar here of creative freedom.
574X
KVRist

Well this voting round seemed especially chill and relaxing.
As far as OSCs, I think everyone did above average. Granted, the work here always seems above average in the grand scheme of things, which is part of the reason this is such a valuable community.
new kids on the block
KVRist

82 posts since 13 Aug, 2010

Postby new kids on the block; Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:15 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak (Voting time!)

i want update my e-mail adress on synth challenge google site

the old e-mail i use is no longer valid

how to update my email address on synth challenge google site?
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments