Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Past To The Future

Arturia's 21 classic synth and keyboard emulations REBORN!

HALF PRICE SALE NOW ON.

Go "Past To The Future" with Arturia.

Read more at www.arturia.com
low_low
KVRist

389 posts since 19 Jul, 2018

Postby low_low; Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:13 am Zebra 2 Brain Overload

I've always loved Zebra 2, and I've committed to learning a lot more about it because I don't know how to use a lot of its features, but I swear every time I approach this synth and start opening doors it seems like that leads to endless more doors to open. That's a good thing, of course, but wow, sometimes I don't even know what direction to go in next. For something that has such an understandable interface the number of combinations of things you can do in this synth is sometimes daunting - so many variables.
Urs
u-he

22231 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:28 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

Hehehe, yeah, sorry for that... :clown:
bbtr
KVRist

402 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Postby bbtr; Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:30 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

How about real oscillators?
low_low
KVRist

389 posts since 19 Jul, 2018

Postby low_low; Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:06 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

Urs wrote:Hehehe, yeah, sorry for that... :clown:

Lots of fun times! :D
0degree
KVRist

96 posts since 29 Jan, 2017

Postby 0degree; Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:09 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

:lol:

Can't wait for Zebra 3!
fmr
KVRAF

7327 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:14 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

bbtr wrote:How about real oscillators?

???????
Fernando (FMR)
martinjuenke
KVRAF

1788 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:26 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

low_low wrote:I've always loved Zebra 2, and I've committed to learning a lot more about it because I don't know how to use a lot of its features, but I swear every time I approach this synth and start opening doors it seems like that leads to endless more doors to open. That's a good thing, of course, but wow, sometimes I don't even know what direction to go in next. For something that has such an understandable interface the number of combinations of things you can do in this synth is sometimes daunting - so many variables.

The number of icecold beers and manageable variables are reciprocal dependend, aren‘t they?

Music was my first love...
Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music
LeVzi
KVRAF

1866 posts since 7 Jul, 2008, from Cardiff, Wales, UK

Postby LeVzi; Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:34 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

You could say that about a lot of Synths tbh.

Alchemy used to give me the headache, as it was so much in one box, you didn't know where to start sometimes.

KarmaFX modular is one that gives me a headache as it's literally a kid with lego. Reaktor was similar but a lot harder to comprehend.
Forward ever, Backward never
KBSoundSmith
KVRian

690 posts since 6 Jul, 2009

Postby KBSoundSmith; Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:09 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

fmr wrote:
bbtr wrote:How about real oscillators?

???????

In another thread, bbtr wrote: viewtopic.php?p=7127579#p7127579

Anyway, on topic...

low_low wrote:I've always loved Zebra 2, and I've committed to learning a lot more about it because I don't know how to use a lot of its features, but I swear every time I approach this synth and start opening doors it seems like that leads to endless more doors to open. That's a good thing, of course, but wow, sometimes I don't even know what direction to go in next. For something that has such an understandable interface the number of combinations of things you can do in this synth is sometimes daunting - so many variables.

My suggestion is to learn one module at a time. Sit down with the manual, and make a bunch of simple patches that use only a select few features of the chosen module. Do this until you know the module in and out.

A good starting point is to use only one OSC module. Then, learn each of the modulators in isolation, and use them on only that one OSC module. Resist the temptation to add a second oscillator or noise source. One oscillator. And milk it for all it's worth with modulators. Really try to get everything you can out of the modulators.
Examigan
KVRAF

4210 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:11 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

:hihi:
cthonophonic
KVRist

74 posts since 1 Jan, 2018

Postby cthonophonic; Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:27 am Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

KBSoundSmith wrote:A good starting point is to use only one OSC module. Then, learn each of the modulators in isolation, and use them on only that one OSC module. Resist the temptation to add a second oscillator or noise source. One oscillator. And milk it for all it's worth with modulators. Really try to get everything you can out of the modulators.

I just recently got Zebra, and this is the stage that I'm at right now. I've found that editing your own OSC waveforms/spectra is an art in itself. It's rewarding of course, but it can be slow going. Modular synthesis comes pretty naturally to me, but creating new oscillators with modulation in mind is a new, fun challenge.

The best way that I've found to keep the options of any synth from becoming a rabbit hole is to start with a specific sound in mind (whether it's a reference recording or just an idea like "50-foot cowbell"), think of a few different approaches that might produce the timbres you want, then try each of them. There's nothing wrong with freeform exploration, but having a goal in mind is always helpful. I also keep a notebook to jot down ideas, which is a good way to get your head out of the computer and keep the big picture in mind.
wagtunes
KVRAF

12698 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:23 pm Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

Zebra 2 actually isn't that complicated. What makes it appear complicated is that you have to patch it together one piece at a time. Pull up the "blank" patch and it's one OSC, whereas with a non modular synth, it may be only one OSC but you also have your filter, ADSR and whatever else already initiated. Here, you've got to pull things up on your own. But architecture wise, it's really not different from a conventional synth. As it's not fully modular, it has limitations, meaning you can't quite do anything you want as with a fully modular synth, which would then make Zebra 2 as complex as something like Softube Modular, MUX, KarmaFX, Reaktor or even the free Sonigen Modular.

If you take Zebra 2 one piece at a time and keep in mind a standard synth layout as far as how things flow (OSC -> Filter -> etc) then it's really very easy. The only complex part is when you start getting into the various modulations that you can do on all these pieces. And even there, the mod matrix (for lack of a better word) isn't totally open ended either. You're given the things that you can modulate and what you can modulate them with. It's all there in a nice easy drop down. Just pick the one you want.

Zebra 2 was my 3rd paid for synth after Synthmaster and ACE (which was my intro to U-he stuff) and that was a few years ago. But it didn't take me long to wrap my head around it. Just take your time. Eventually, what you'll find yourself doing is setting up templates (because there's really only so many "useful" setups you can have unless you're into making some really weird stuff) and then you can just tweak the templates, which will be very similar to tweaking that INIT patch for a conventional synth. Trust me, you will want to do this because it beats going back to that one OSC patch and doing the same basic things over and over.

Hope this helps.
Benjamin923
KVRist

96 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Postby Benjamin923; Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:09 pm Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

wagtunes suggestion here is exactly right. Don't overthink it. Once you can conceptualize how synthesizers are composed of modules, and those modules are often routed in certain ways, all modular/sem-modular synths become much clearer.
mevla
KVRian

1475 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Postby mevla; Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:20 pm Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

For me the introduction to synth architecture and how to do things with them was with a cable-patchbay synth, u-he's ACE, in which you actually have to draw cables between components and, the more-than-excellent 4-part tutorial on youtube by Dan Worrall. Eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YgUhNaWtN0

ACE being a relative simple synth, it was the perfect introduction.

Cheers.
dreamkeeper
KVRian

809 posts since 23 Jan, 2006, from Universe #5346198720

Postby dreamkeeper; Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:50 pm Re: Zebra 2 Brain Overload

You people DO know, that there's a U-he forum, right? I've excluded all company forums from my 'latest topics' list for a reason! Wish, the moderators would do their job and move threads to where they belong.
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments