Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Teksonik
KVRAF

11427 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:46 am Re: Monique ?

I absolutely hate Color Ring Knobs but that's just personal preference. Another personal opinion:

Mono = Good

Mono Only = Not Good

:shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Cinebient
KVRAF

3566 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:59 am Re: Monique ?

I like mono synths like Repro-1 and Dagger f.e. a lot.
They were build to work best with this one voice in mind. That´s it.
If i need them polyphonic it´s anyway easy to set up in most major DAW´s these days and maybe even better if the synth not support multi-core in one instance.
That´s the good thing with software.
I do love my FX polyphonic as well...but most people still can live with them not per voice.
Strange world :hihi:
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

11894 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 am Re: Monique ?

With hardware it might make sense to make a monophonic synth as every additional voice requires additional components, i.e. the price increases.

But with software I don't see a reason for making a monophonic only synth, unless it is a strict emulation of an old hardware synth.
There are several polyphonic synths that also provide different mono modes, so why not include one mono mode that behaves exactly the way a monophonic only synth would behave?
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:03 am Re: Monique ?

Cinebient wrote:I like mono synths like Repro-1 and Dagger f.e. a lot.
If i need them polyphonic it´s anyway easy to set up in most major DAW´s these days and maybe even better if the synth not support multi-core in one instance.
I do love my FX polyphonic as well...but most people still can live with them not per voice.

But when you create a polyphonic patch from several monophonic instances in your DAW, you can't save it as a single synth patch and share it with others or across different DAW's.
Cinebient
KVRAF

Postby Cinebient; Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:24 am Re: Monique ?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I like mono synths like Repro-1 and Dagger f.e. a lot.

But when you create a polyphonic patch from several monophonic instances in your DAW, you can't save it as a single synth patch and share it with others or across different DAW's.

I can save that and share it with the DAW i use....thats enough for me.
I also can´t share mac only synth presets to windows users and iOS synth presets etc.
Nothing is perfect.
It´s of course just me but i begin to really just use multi-stacked synths instruments and don´t care about single presets of a single synths.
If there would be a way that this all would work across platforms and DAW´s etc. that would be nice.
A thing i find more easy actually on iOS (but i still prefer mac).
I mean there you can share f.e. audiobus presets which can include a set-up of several DAW´s, synths FX, midi in one patch.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:33 am Re: Monique ?

Weird analogy. Sure, when a synth is only available for Mac, you can't share your patches with Windows users. but what is the point of stating that when the synth is not available for Windows in the first place?
Most synths luckily are available for all major platforms. So being able to share presets does make sense.

I must admit I am not a fan of stacking different synths. The sounds I like the most are all simple sounds based on a good-sounding synth. With layered synths things easily get messy and too powerful to be pleasant.
Cinebient
KVRAF

Postby Cinebient; Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 am Re: Monique ?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Weird analogy. Sure, when a synth is only available for Mac, you can't share your patches with Windows users. but what is the point of stating that when the synth is not available for Windows in the first place?
Mots synths luckily are available for all major platforms. So being able to share presets does make sense.

I must admit I am not a fan of stacking different synths. The sounds I like the most are all simple sounds based on a good-sounding synth. With layered synths things easily get messy and too powerful to be pleasant.

The number of people own a specific DAW might be not so different to some synths.
So whatever. Every one like what he/she like. That´s it.
We are all complaining about too much here (me included of course).
Wasted time. Let´s just use what makes us happy. Everything else end in frustration.
After i learned this i´m quite happy with what i have and i can create sounds until the end of my life with what i already have.
Now i pick out what works for me and i´m a lot more creative again like when i was using just very few tools and mastered them. I love multi-stacked sounds but set them up that not always everything sound at the same time due to velocity or other performance things etc.
Works great for me.
Do whatever you want :wink:
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:46 am Re: Monique ?

Constructive criticism is not the same as a complaint.
Nobody is complaining :)

You are probably not the rule as many people state the opposite, namely that they get more creative and productive when their means are more limited.

I mean, sure you can make more different sounds with more tools, but does that mean your music gets better or more interesting? More tools with more features tend to consume more time to program, which leaves less time for the music as such :wink:
Cinebient
KVRAF

Postby Cinebient; Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:54 am Re: Monique ?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Constructive criticism is not the same as a complaint.
Nobody is complaining :)

You are probably not the rule as many people state the opposite, namely that they get more creative and productive when their means are more limited.

I mean, sure you can make more different sounds with more tools, but does that mean your music gets better or more interesting? More tools with more features tend to consume more time to program, which leaves less time for the music as such :wink:

I just like to perform all my music live including automations and whatever. So i don´t do much midi editing after performing. I really love to set up a complex sound which indeed can take a lot time until i´m happy and then i like to perform it. So i also don´t use much tracks within a song but often a single track is build from a stacked track.
I also done the other way where i use simple sounds and put it all together one after one.
Works too and sometimes it´s better. At the end the result can be the same.
Most important is where i feel more creative. Of course there are a lot ways to achieve things.
Like i said.....everyone should do whatever makes them happy.
Limitations can be good but also can be just that....limitations.
Back to topic. I have no problem with mono synth which is actually a good example where a limitation can be tend to let me be more creative with a single voice :D
mevla
KVRAF

1581 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Postby mevla; Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:52 am Re: Monique ?

fluffy_little_something wrote:But when you create a polyphonic patch from several monophonic instances in your DAW, you can't save it as a single synth patch and share it with others or across different DAW's.

In Bitwig yes. Use an Instrument Layer container, put your synths/FXs in there and save it. There's also an Instrument Selector container with which it becomes possible to automate the on/off selection between synths in the container. One use of this is to have a same patch on two same synths with one having a longer release and the other a shorter one (simple example). Then it's possible to automate the switching of different attacks depending on which notes are played. Haven't use that much yet, though. The times I used it I found the Bitwig switching response very fast. It's a simple example since it'd be possible to modulate the attack params with a modwheel, it's only to demonstrate the principle.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:09 am Re: Monique ?

Interesting, but how does that enable me to import the layered patch configuration into, say, Mulab or Cubase?
Teksonik
KVRAF

Postby Teksonik; Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 am Re: Monique ?

I'm not going to faff about turning a mono synth polyphonic by using multiple instances. I simply have too many other synths that are mono and also have a polyphonic mode.

Too many other options in my VSTi folder at this point. But I suppose if Monique has a Unique sound it might be worth giving it a go...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Teksonik
KVRAF

Postby Teksonik; Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:27 am Re: Monique ?

Oh I thought this was a new synth. It's been around at least two and a half years. Since it's flown under the radar for that long I guess that tells us all we need to know. The Youtube videos were the final nail in the coffin for me.... :shrug:

Since the OP couldn't be arsed to provide a link....... :hihi:

http://monique.monoplugs.com/en

$49
Teksonik
KVRAF

Postby Teksonik; Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am Re: Monique ?

I find this kind of humorous.

Demo Version : Periodic Noise

Pro Version : Everything in the Demo (even the noise ?) :lol:

Pro Version.png

Ok now I'm off to make some noise..... :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:01 am Re: Monique ?

Basically, there should be a standard version between the demo and pro versions, else pro makes no sense 8)
(pro version = standard version + oscillators, filter, envelopes and lfo's :hihi: )
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments