VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The first....? Maybe this:
Bitheadz Retro As-1

dune_rave wrote:The first....? Maybe this:
Bitheadz Retro As-1
I actually had to look that one up. I thought I had all of the early ones.

DubLifeSD wrote:ImpOSCar! that was the first one to make me say woooahhh in the digital realm.
Thanks for your input and reading the forum subject correctly! I will have to check this one out.

stvrsz wrote:
DubLifeSD wrote:ImpOSCar! that was the first one to make me say woooahhh in the digital realm.
Thanks for your input and reading the forum subject correctly! I will have to check this one out.
https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/imposcar2

stvrsz wrote: All U-he plugs just have a "sound" to me.
It’s funny, you type all these words, but communicate nothing of value at all.

Nothing, unfortunately

mholloway wrote:
stvrsz wrote: All U-he plugs just have a "sound" to me.
It’s funny, you type all these words, but communicate nothing of value at all.
Enlighten me oh communicator extraordinaire. Please kindly READ the forum topic before commenting. The PREMISE is that it is subjective. I am seeking epiphanies, not criticism for lack of data.

_al_ wrote:Nothing, unfortunately
Then you are truly a hardware person. Get a good job and good credit.

OP... please split your post up a bit into paragraphs! so hard to read one long post like that...

fisherKing wrote:OP... please split your post up a bit into paragraphs! so hard to read one long post like that...
My humble apologies as this is my FIRST forum post. I hope that I have modified the OP to your satisfaction.
I was just simply seeking epiphanies by kindred spirits.

Poly-Ana was the first plugin that did it for me. Bass like nothing else at the time. More recently RePro & Obscurium have given me that wow factor ... honourable mention for impOSCar (altho it won't run on my current system).

stvrsz wrote:I love synths. I am fifty years old. I have a theory I like to call the “SH#T factor.” Please allow me to explain. The first synth that I had the opportunity to use was when I was 18. It was gray. It had beautiful colored buttons. It had a simple red led display. It was called a Juno 106. I was hooked. It took me until I was 22 to get my first “synth.” It was called a Moog Satellite.

It was horrible. I then had the opportunity to get a Juno 60 from a friend for $200. On and on it went and the collection grew and grew. By the end, I had managed to collect and use many of the “Big Ones” and the opportunity to play the ones(friends had them) I couldn’t find. Analog prices were pretty cheap in the early 90’s. I got my Minimoog for $125 bucks. Sadly, I fell on hard times in the late 90’s and had to sell my analog gear to make ends meet. In the early 2000’s, I scoured the internet and discovered things called VST instruments. They were my hope for reclaiming my lost synths since there is no way that I could have afforded to buy them back (let’s please kindly leave the fake vs. real argument out of this forum since it has been beaten to death many times).

I first discovered the “Sh#t factor” when I loaded my first VSTI called MINIMOGUE. I couldn’t believe how amazing software could sound. I also felt the same when I loaded up Arppe 2600. It was as if I was hearing “pretty close” to the real deal. Since I couldn’t afford the real deal, I began collecting VST instruments and effects. Over the years, I have only had a few “SH#T factor” moments with virtual synths, defined as: a moment when you press the keys and you are absolutely astounded at what is coming out of your computer.

These are the plugs that meet this extremely subjective and personal criteria: the aforementioned Minimogue and Arppe 2600(still are pretty good), Superwave P8(still sounds OK), DuneBE(very powerful and crisp), Sylenth1(punchy and warm, very reminiscent of hardware),Genesis CM(pounder), Spire(this one really did it…I bought it immediately after I heard it), Dune 2(crisp and punchy), Parawave RAPID(unbelievable to my ears, but not well loved on the internet for some reason). I own and have collected many other synths and really want to like many of them more than I do.

What are some synths that blew YOU away the first time you pressed the keys? Thanks in advance for your astute comments.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Poly-Ana was the first plugin that did it for me. Bass like nothing else at the time. More recently RePro & Obscurium have given me that wow factor ... honourable mention for impOSCar (altho it won't run on my current system).
Thank you for your reply! I have tried Poly Ana and it sounds Great! I found the interface a bit frightening.

stvrsz wrote:I love synths. I am fifty years old. I have a theory I like to call the “SH#T factor.” Please allow me to explain. The first synth that I had the opportunity to use was when I was 18. It was gray. It had beautiful colored buttons. It had a simple red led display. It was called a Juno 106. I was hooked. It took me until I was 22 to get my first “synth.” It was called a Moog Satellite.

It was horrible. I then had the opportunity to get a Juno 60 from a friend for $200. On and on it went and the collection grew and grew. By the end, I had managed to collect and use many of the “Big Ones” and the opportunity to play the ones(friends had them) I couldn’t find. Analog prices were pretty cheap in the early 90’s. I got my Minimoog for $125 bucks. Sadly, I fell on hard times in the late 90’s and had to sell my analog gear to make ends meet. In the early 2000’s, I scoured the internet and discovered things called VST instruments. They were my hope for reclaiming my lost synths since there is no way that I could have afforded to buy them back (let’s please kindly leave the fake vs. real argument out of this forum since it has been beaten to death many times).

I first discovered the “Sh#t factor” when I loaded my first VSTI called MINIMOGUE. I couldn’t believe how amazing software could sound. I also felt the same when I loaded up Arppe 2600. It was as if I was hearing “pretty close” to the real deal. Since I couldn’t afford the real deal, I began collecting VST instruments and effects. Over the years, I have only had a few “SH#T factor” moments with virtual synths, defined as: a moment when you press the keys and you are absolutely astounded at what is coming out of your computer.

These are the plugs that meet this extremely subjective and personal criteria: the aforementioned Minimogue and Arppe 2600(still are pretty good), Superwave P8(still sounds OK), DuneBE(very powerful and crisp), Sylenth1(punchy and warm, very reminiscent of hardware),Genesis CM(pounder), Spire(this one really did it…I bought it immediately after I heard it), Dune 2(crisp and punchy), Parawave RAPID(unbelievable to my ears, but not well loved on the internet for some reason). I own and have collected many other synths and really want to like many of them more than I do.

What are some synths that blew YOU away the first time you pressed the keys? Thanks in advance for your astute comments.

In order, Absynth, Bazille and Zebra. Unfortunately, the first two proved a bitch to program (i'm not a synth guy) so i sold the second and am selling the first. But they still sound amazing (especially Bazille). Every time i load up Zebra, i get sidetracked from writing by the joy of just listening to the thing. It's got the upper sheen of digital but also the low fundamentals and low-mid grind i got very used to with my first analog. Love that thing.
Last edited by voidhead23 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”