The KVR Audio website is moving to a new server - please expect some disruption to services over the next 24-48 hours.

During the final stages of the transition several services will be disabled on the old server, such as new user registrations, KVR Marketplace transactions, developer admin features, forum search, posting in the forum, etc.

 Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
TW1306
KVRer
 
20 posts since 23 Apr, 2017

Postby TW1306; Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:12 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

Local Man wrote:I have to agree with the others saying that you could get that sound with what's included in Reason.

I suppose I'll keep trying with those synths as well then, it just seemed like I wasn't getting an authentic older kind of sound out of them most of the time. Although that could indeed just be down to my programming skills.
Last edited by TW1306 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TW1306
KVRer
 
20 posts since 23 Apr, 2017

Postby TW1306; Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

recursive one wrote:Also a very improtant part is to get that fat groovy percussion right

While I'm here I might as well say I've been struggling a little with that too, do you have any tips? I can't seem to create good loops like at 0:45 here youtube.com/watch?v=0er_2bIAE04&t=45s
TW1306
KVRer
 
20 posts since 23 Apr, 2017

Postby TW1306; Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:19 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

Gamma-UT wrote:Samplers. Lots and lots of samplers (well one or two multitimbral samplers like an Akai or eMu). It was pretty common to take patches on a synth and just sample them to free up channels on top of the chopped-up beats and stuff.

Plus a bucketload of digital delays and some fairly ordinary reverbs - MidiVerb, Quadraverb etc.

I can't see why this would be impossible in Reason.

Sorry if it's a stupid question (I'm probably just not understanding properly), but what exactly would I be sampling?
Local Man
KVRist
 
248 posts since 30 May, 2017

Postby Local Man; Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 pm Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

TW1306 wrote:
Local Man wrote:I have to agree with the others saying that you could get that sound with what's included in Reason.

I suppose I'll keep trying with those synths as well then, it just seemed like I wasn't getting an authentic older kind of sound out of them most of the time. Although that could indeed just be down to my programming skills.

If you are using a recent version of Reason try throwing the Audiomatic Retro Transformer on your Synths and play around with it. That can a long way to getting you that old school sound (try not to overdo it though).
omac
KVRist
 
131 posts since 13 Jul, 2009

Postby omac; Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:24 pm Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

The examples you posted were progressive house but not modern progressive house. The drums seemed to be mostly 909 drums. Reason has plenty of those types of samples. If you just had to spend money for a vst then Drumazon from the D16 group was awesome. I love it, but that's a personal preference. The synths in the examples were simple sounds with fx added. Any synth in Reason could do those. There are many tutorials using Thor to make sounds similar to those on youtube. The example I posted that says disregard the hip hop sound at the start actually covered sounds very like your examples. The boyinaband video I posted because, even though the progressive house track he made was not the type you were looking for, the technical skills he taught during the 7 part (I think) tutorial were things you would need to be comfortable with to make your requested type of progressive house.
User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
 
22909 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:02 pm Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

Early 2000's there were a lot of Nord Lead, Access Virus, older analog stuff and 909/808 samples. Samplers had become bigger and more affordable, with edit screens, fx and knobs to tweak.

Drumazon gets you the 909 sound and groove, or thereabouts. Any big modern polysynth should be able to provide the rest, plus a decent sampler (your DAW likely has this). I think a lot of people were using ReBirth around the 2000's.
User avatar
sinemotor
KVRist
 
116 posts since 24 Dec, 2015

Postby sinemotor; Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:42 pm Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

I also like early 2000's Trance and I find u-he Hive, Korg M1 and NI Massive to be a great combo for creating those old school Trance sounds (supersaws, plucks, arp/gate sounds, acid leads, etc). They aren't complicated to recreate anyway.

For drums, 909 samples and chopped loops from Vengeance sample packs or Stylus RMX for example.
recursive one
KVRAF
 
3592 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:55 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

TW1306 wrote:
recursive one wrote:Also a very improtant part is to get that fat groovy percussion right

While I'm here I might as well say I've been struggling a little with that too, do you have any tips? I can't seem to create good loops like at 0:45 here youtube.com/watch?v=0er_2bIAE04&t=45s

I think you may try combining some live recorded funky or breakbeat loops, sliced and rearranged, with programmed beats made of 909/808 samples. Try programming a simple kick/clap/offbeat hat beat and add some percussion loop to fill the gaps between the drum hits. Also some character compression and/or tape saturation on the drum bus and a bit of delay as a send effect.

You will also need a good delay plugin to make long delays with saturated tail, like NI Replica, seems to be an important part of this sound.

A bit offtopic, but you may look into OLD SQL and Morphosis lables, they release stuff with a similar feel but more modern sound.

https://soundcloud.com/old-sql-recordings

https://soundcloud.com/morphosisrecords
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...
recursive one
KVRAF
 
3592 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:08 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

TW1306 wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:Samplers. Lots and lots of samplers (well one or two multitimbral samplers like an Akai or eMu). It was pretty common to take patches on a synth and just sample them to free up channels on top of the chopped-up beats and stuff.

Plus a bucketload of digital delays and some fairly ordinary reverbs - MidiVerb, Quadraverb etc.

I can't see why this would be impossible in Reason.

Sorry if it's a stupid question (I'm probably just not understanding properly), but what exactly would I be sampling?

I also don't quite understand the importance of samplers today, I mean in the context of recreating the sound the OP is after. I guess they were essential to obviate the limitations of a hardware setup back in the days but now a DAW is a sampler in itself and has unlimited synth instances and mixer channels.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...
User avatar
Gamma-UT
KVRAF
 
4256 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:27 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

recursive one wrote:I also don't quite understand the importance of samplers today, I mean in the context of recreating the sound the OP is after. I guess they were essential to obviate the limitations of a hardware setup back in the days but now a DAW is a sampler in itself and has unlimited synth instances and mixer channels.


The issue of what to use today wasn't the question I was answering.

This was: "Does anyone know any emulations of synths that were used often in progressive house/trance in the early 2000s (or just plugins that'd be suitable in general)?"

Samplers were getting used wholesale in those days - with the subtext that there was no specific synth that was important. Things like planed chords (organ, piano stabs etc), sampled percussion breaks, and bass or pad one-shots that would then get warped in the sampler were more pertinent to the sound – though not as much as with DnB was at the time. No, of course you don't need an Akai emulation today. But for someone who wants to replicate that sound, the process used did have an impact on it.
recursive one
KVRAF
 
3592 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:36 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

Gamma-UT wrote:
recursive one wrote:I also don't quite understand the importance of samplers today, I mean in the context of recreating the sound the OP is after. I guess they were essential to obviate the limitations of a hardware setup back in the days but now a DAW is a sampler in itself and has unlimited synth instances and mixer channels.


The issue of what to use today wasn't the question I was answering.

This was: "Does anyone know any emulations of synths that were used often in progressive house/trance in the early 2000s (or just plugins that'd be suitable in general)?"

Samplers were getting used wholesale in those days - with the subtext that there was no specific synth that was important. Things like planed chords (organ, piano stabs etc), sampled percussion breaks, and bass or pad one-shots that would then get warped in the sampler were more pertinent to the sound – though not as much as with DnB was at the time. No, of course you don't need an Akai emulation today. But for someone who wants to replicate that sound, the process used did have an impact on it.

I see, but if I want to make a similar souning track today, what exactly should I sample and for what purpose? When I listen to the tracks posted by the OP i don't hear anything which would make me think "in order to do this I need to sample my software synth and put it into a software sampler".

I'm not talking about the drums, the vocal oneshots and other non-synth stuff.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...
User avatar
Gamma-UT
KVRAF
 
4256 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:40 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

You could just try reading the last answer.
recursive one
KVRAF
 
3592 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:52 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

Gamma-UT wrote:You could just try reading the last answer.

Well, I think I just don't understand where you are coming from because I never worked with a hardware sampler.

Anyway, I don't think any special sampling techniques are needed to make similar sounding tracks in a DAW. Just any regular drum sampler and beat slicer will do.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...
User avatar
Delta Sign
KVRist
 
305 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Postby Delta Sign; Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:03 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

Yeah, lots and lots of sampling is far more important here than the synths. I just listened to a few examples here, but 95% of the sounds are samples.
The difference to more modern tracks is that they are "bad" samples cut from various tracks instead of perfectly clean samples downloaded from the intertubez. This adds a lot to the character.

You should be able to do that in any decent DAW without many other tools. Most DAWs these days include samplers that are far more capable than anything that was around at the time of those tracks. The selection of samples and the creative use of them is far more important here.
User avatar
SciFiArtMan
KVRian
 
1018 posts since 24 May, 2006, from Our Amazing Oasis in Space - USA Section

Postby SciFiArtMan; Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 am Re: Synths/emulations for older-style progressive?

Tj Shredder wrote:Older-style progressive would be progressive rock...;-) Mellotron and Moog modular...
http://equipboard.com/pros/patrick-moraz

What an old dinosaur! Don't you realize "progressive" doesn't mean progressive rock anymore - it means progressive something else! Rock died decades ago, my friend. Now it's all some kind of dance music! Turns out disco won! Just make the beats a little more aggressive, and the synths sounds like a 60's sound effects record, and good ol' disco is reborn with all the boogie goodness of its illustrious past. "Progressive rock" - what a maroon!!! :ud:


Boomshe, bookshe, boomshe, boomshe, boomshe, boomshe, boomshe, boomshe, boomshe, boomshe, boomshe...
Image
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments

The beat of a different drummer: An interview with Mattias Eklund from Toontrack
Advertisements