What sound do SCOOTER use in their track...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hiya,

Bound to get flamed for mentioning Scooter as im sure most of you

A) Havent heard of them
B) Do not like them

lol

But on a couple of their songs I REALLY liked the sound they used but cant think what its from;

On their track "Let me be your valentine" they use a 'voice-like' sound to accompany the main arpegiator... Must be from a synth as back then VSTi's were not available...

Also again, on their track "Rebel Yell" a similar 'voice' sound is used...

Does anyone happen to know what synth this is from, or if there is a VSTi to emulate it?

Both are Sampled vocals that have been pitch shifted and modulated very heavily

If you're a REALLY good FM synthesis programmer you might be able to catch a similar sound, but it's gonna take a lot of effort.. just sample some vocals, that's much easier :)

Now I'm gonna go and burn my hard drive for containing scooter songs on them :)

Or could be vocoded vocals? You'll need a vocoder, the speech sample and a preferably bright synth sound. I use FL Studio's vocoder, as it's... there!

valdiorn wrote:Now I'm gonna go and burn my hard drive for containing scooter songs on them :)
:lol:

So they got them from a sample cd probably and loaded into sampler, added plenty of modulation...

Excellent, thanks for the help guys :)

Just get an old Supertramp album and change the pitch, stick a beat on it and some trance riff - voila!

".... 3 AM!!!! .... the PAINTED COW!!! .... YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

(stu.macQ)

Fella, dont worry about mentioning people like this, they are very skilled producers. Unfortunately mate, alot of people round here will slate the likes of Scooter as being tasteless pish. This imo is a little unfair, considering the quality of these productions. Im not a Scooter fan, not at all. However, I do recognise that these guys have been making sucessfull dance music for many years, and that they are VERY capable. Trust me, you dont sound like these guys by simply playing a few Virus arpeggios into your PC. The quality of mixing on these tracks is pretty high imo, particularly when you consider how dense these mixes can be.

Anyway, the typical Scooter vocal is suppose descends from the Happy Hardcore stuff they used to do. They are probably original vocals, pitchshifters / vocodered for the desired effect. Have a listen to the records closely, cuz the use of reverb and delay is extremely important in mixing this stuff. My advice would be to find a decent vocoder, something like Akai DC which is meant to be cheap right now. Should be perfect for the job in hand.

Cheers mate, I do respect the programmers of Scooter massively, and have been a fan since 1994 when they started the act.
Im not a fan of the singers 'shout outs & MC'ing' but it makes Scooter who they are! Lol.

Its the 'voice-like' sounds im after, it'd be great if I could actually email one of the guys themselves and ask, but as with big groups these days, theres no contact available :(

If I had a digicam atm, I could take some pictures of an article in a german music magazine showing their equipment... a lot of JP-8000's and even more access viri (plus a lot of retro stuff, down to a MonoPoly and an MS-20 O_O ).

[edit]
Some other things: :D
Oberheim Xpander
Elka Synthex
Roland Juno-106
Roland SH-101
Dream Plant Wasp

2x Virus
Virus b
Nord Rack
Nord Modular rack
Nordlead 3

*drool*

But unfortunately absolutely no comment on the vocals
[/edit]

They are cheese, but they do it well ;)

I remember that sound, and that I also was wondering how it was made!
Scooter´s done alot of great things for dance music, but the last years they seem to have lost their creativity, but still in terms of "sound" are gods!
Well, they can be forgiven after all the good they´ve done - lots of bands loose their creativity at a much earlier point of their career - like I think there was a gap of 25 years where Rolling Stones made only shitty songs that would sell just because of their name ("Undercover of the night" is an exception).
Anyway, that sound I don´t think was made using any vocoders. I´d rather say that you should maybe try the synths that can make voice-ish sounds and see what you can do with them. And I´m thinking that anything with a formant filter could maybe be worth it having a look at..
Best Regards

Roman Empire

I liked Scooter when they were still Celebrate the Nun. "Will You Be There" is a synthpop classic.

Sk0re, they certainly have a nice kitlist, thats where all their money goes then LOL!

It was on their earlier productions, perhaps the Roland D-50 had 'voice-like' sounds?
Its not like voice "hello etc" its more just a sound of "ohhhh" etc (if ya get me lol).

Hi!

Well, I have to thank Scooter for my interests in dancemusic!

All my patches for the Z3ta+ and my upcoming JP-8000 synth for VAZ Modular are sounds I have heard in dancemusic and I have listen carefully to Scooter for many years! :wink:

Take a look on the Roland D-50 and the Korg M1 if they got this vocalsample.

A little tips is to take the "Femalechoir-sample" in Reason's factoryset. Lower the attack and release of it and put on heavy reverb and delay. Turn the treble eq up to max. There you go! :D

Have a nice day!

See yaaaa! :wink:

Cheers,
Kire

Once i was i tryed to reassamble the original voice in their songs, and I succeeded, using Steinberg's Voice Machine.

Roman Empire wrote:...lots of bands loose their creativity at a much earlier point of their career - like I think there was a gap of 25 years where Rolling Stones made only shitty songs that would sell just because of their name ("Undercover of the night" is an exception)...

and I thought Undercover was the topmost shit. love Sticky Finger & Exile tho.

Return to “Instruments”