Why sfz?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What am I missing here? Is it popular because of DFD? Is it because there are a couple of free editors?

I can't figure out how to adjust ADSR. Is there a way?

Are the internal effects ever used? I don't notice a difference.

I checked the site's FAQs. It's vague, but I get the idea i need sfz+ to have any control.

Please help me understand. Thanks in advance.

DFD is great to have.

ADSR is controlled by sending midi cc from your host of controller. The controller numbers are on the website.

And the sound quality is supposed to be better than any other player.

And Rene has graciously made it free.

Thanks

I saw the CC#s on the site. I have to control everything from my host. My keyboard is just a set of velo-keys ( read "poor" ). I just want control to be as easy as Font!.

Hello. I can only answer a few of your questions, but hey, it's a start.

To begin with, why it's so popular. Most of us find sfz to be very stable, efficient, and accurate; it does what we want. It handles a large variety of file types. Its programmability is excellent*. And its cost is another bonus!

As for ADSR, check out the "ampeg" opcodes.

I don't think anybody relies much on the internal effects. I know I won't -- but that's because I much prefer to add effects in the mix, tailoring the sound to the song, not the other way around.

* Random numbers, especially in bell curves, can really enhance the human feel (ironic, no?). Try using them to switch between multisamples, rather than relying solely on velocity -- the results can be fantastic.

Cheers.
-- Just Another F*cking Observer
http://www.angelfire.com/band2/oddity

I own sfz+ and the reason I use it is not only DFD which doesnt run well on my computer as of yet, but because of the sound quality. To me, even on draft mode soundfonts sound amazing to me running through sfz/sfz+. It's easy to use and sounds GREAT.

RonC

sfzed

Of course, it's expired at the moment. So we'll have to wait until an un-expired version gets posted (or reset the date on your computer)

-bjc
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

DFD is nice but not always the best solution for samples.

In terms of sound both technically and aurally SFZ+ sounds great.

I needed a good sound font synth and SFZ+ fits the bill better than commercially developed synths.

I'd like to see an editor. I don't want to futz with midi, I want to make my music. Anything that slows me down is considered a negative which keeps me from using SFZ+ for other formats. Kompakt or Kontakt do the job quite nicely.

Bottom line; quality, excellent SF2 sound, modest CPU
Reviews http://www.musicfaq.net
Selected tracks from new album TRAUMA :
http://netnewmusic.ning.com/profile/BSatinover

androidlove wrote:What am I missing here?
If you're talking about playing soundfonts, sfz is a favourite because of it's incredible sound quality.

If you're talking about making your own patches the actual sfz format is easy to program, allows ultra-precise control of parameters (floating point numbers) along with powerful commands for randomising and sequencing which sample play. There are many other unique commands for controlling which samples play and how. It's a very exciting sample format and combined with the incredible sample engine from rgc, it's pretty hard to beat.

Just to echo some of what's already been said--

-It's butt-simple to program your own patches, especially if you steal someone else's sfz file and work from that. It's even quicker and easier than using a GUI if you're doing one-shot things like a drum kit (ie. don't need to edit loop points).

-If you're willing to take the time, the quantity of parameters is staggering. You don't see that kind of depth in most commercial samplers, it's just that a GUI (like the one in Kontakt) makes it SEEM like there's more to it.

Regarding ADSR, there's a nice little plug-in by NicFit called "sfz buddy" (you'll have to search for it) that will let you visually set the ADSR and a few other basic parameters from a GUI.

Greg

Is sfz Buddy up anywhere? I tried to DL from Cox. It's gone.

sfzed

Of course, it's expired at the moment. So we'll have to wait until an un-expired version gets posted (or reset the date on your computer)
Sorry - new version now up on the site - my mistake. :oops:

Details here

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69538

Steve

I've just gone on a SF DL spree. I've been using some large fonts now and the DFD is doing the trick. I've also come across some that don't play right in Font!.

I see the light!

Return to “Instruments”