Nord Modular G2 Demo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

although there are several threads concerning this great freebie, i have to draw the attention of all the ones who missed it to this great synth.
you can download it from the calvia.se homepage. altough it´s a standalone synth there´s a workaround to use it in your sequencer: you can use a virtual midi driver like the one called "loopbe" which you can find on here:
http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html
after configuring your midi controllers it should be no problem to record in your midi sequencer. when you finished midi editing, just record the audio of the modular g2 demo. this should be a hint for beginners, so don´t comment if its old hats to you.
concerning sound, i must say that the modular g2 impressed me with its cool filters, which have a nice character. yes, reaktor, korg legacy, albino and all the others have nice filters, too. but this one´s for free (yes there are nice freebies with nice filters). the osciallators sound like quality .and it really has character. everyone with a good soundcard and good ears should remark that.
i really appreciate this move by clavia, as i just don´t have the cash to buy one of their products. i hope you´ll like the nord modular g2 demo, too.have fun!!

the link is of course
www.clavia.se and not calvia.se

omg this app sucks.

Then don't use it.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

hlmst wrote:omg this app sucks.
only answer if you have something sensible to say:
why should this great sounding software suck?
don´t say, it doesn´t sound good, cause it sounds great. i know cause i´ve heard.

i noticed some strange artifacts in the sound when used with 44.1 khz sample rate, but everything was smooth at 48 khz.

i had a micromodular back then and the sound of the software comes very close to the hardware unit.

anybody knows, if there is a time-limit ?

i wish it was a vst :hihi:
...---...

No time limit. It's a restricted demo that you can play with to hear how the G2 sounds. I've played a G2, and playing with this isn't exactly 'fair' with monophonic, and limited patches, which aren't that great in comparison to some of the best patches on the real deal.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

fat300 wrote:i noticed some strange artifacts in the sound when used with 44.1 khz sample rate, but everything was smooth at 48 khz.

i had a micromodular back then and the sound of the software comes very close to the hardware unit.

anybody knows, if there is a time-limit ?

i wish it was a vst :hihi:
buddy, look @ the cpu load of this thing and take into consideration it is monophonic...how unsensible would it be to say this sucks?

hlmst wrote:look @ the cpu load of this thing
It completey varies depending on the patch loaded,but yes,a bit high overall,but definitely useable.
take into consideration it is monophonic...
while I wish this free app was polyphonic,it can still be used for bass lines leads etc.
how unsensible would it be to say this sucks?
Very.
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein

hlmst wrote: buddy, look @ the cpu load of this thing and take into consideration it is monophonic...how unsensible would it be to say this sucks?
You'd prefer a casiotone sound that used 0.00001% CPU?

Anyway, the real thing uses DSP's so what's the point of even looking at the CPU % of this demo?

Why the hell do people keep comparing this to VSTs and other softsynths? It's a demo of a hardware synth! If you can find use for it in your musicmaking - great! But if you can't - stop whining. When were you last able to demo a hardware synth from your home, on your own sound system, in a calm quiet environment?

Never! That's when.

I think this is very generous of Clavia. It is not intended to be played alongside your favorite DAW with eleven SIRs and five instances of Waves C4 running in the background. So why the f**k does the CPU hit matter?

-- Rant over --
Electronic Rhythm and Melody since 2002

fat300 wrote:i noticed some strange artifacts in the sound when used with 44.1 khz sample rate, but everything was smooth at 48 khz.
Perhaps not to surprising - it's an entirely unoptimised emulator wrapping the actual g2 code. The g2 code runs at an internal rate of 96KHz so it's very possible that you get artifacts at 44.1 and not at 48.

FWIW, I think the g2 sounds amazing. Just try modulating the filter cutoff of a fairly resonant lpf with an oscillator. I don't know of any vsti that can do that without artifacting to hell. And that's just one example. Even without the hardware, you have a really cool monophonic modular synthesizer that can make tons of interesting noises.

But much more than the polyphony, the hardware of the g2 is its true selling point. It is so cool that you can set up a complex modular patch and have physical access to almost all its parameters. Sure you can do this for reaktor or whatever other modular synth program floats your boat, but with anything other than a *really* expensive hardware controller box, you either have to be really disciplined and always allocate the same parameters to the same knobs (which means you're going to be dealing with pretty similar synth architectures in every case), or you have to load different controller presets for each patch and *remember* what goes where.

But it gets even better. Believe me, when you've set up a sequencer patch where you can see instantly what every value each knob is currently sending and you've sent those midi notes to a vsti or some other hardware synth, or when you're sending a complex range of midi controllers to those same synths generated by an array of lfos, sequencers and event generators, you'll understand. Consider the g2 an incredibly powerful controller with a logically implemented and cool sounding analogue emulating modular synthesis system thrown in free of charge.

All this frothing and I don't even own one :)

suthnear wrote:Consider the g2 an incredibly powerful controller with a logically implemented and cool sounding analogue emulating modular synthesis system thrown in free of charge.
Amen!
suthnear wrote:All this frothing and I don't even own one :)
I do! It is truly great!
Electronic Rhythm and Melody since 2002

Thanks Clavia because without this demo, I wouldn't have been interested in a G2 : have nice modulars already and the mp3's on Clavia's site are dull to my ears.
I could test the workflow and with a few tweaks made this thing squeaks, confortably at home ...

seconded.
It's a truly amazing demo to my ears.
It really shook me, the difference in sound between the G2 and "normal" VSTIs.

People who don't appreciate the sound quality of that demo are either 1) lucky, because they don't have to care about sound as much as the rest, and don't need to spend much time and money on their music.
2) paying too much attention to GUI / presets / hype instead of opening their ears and trying to build even the most basic of patches.
3) Just average "nay" sayers, that get bored occassionally and like to stirr up some interest by denying the fact that a FREE demo that sound GREAT is not a good thing.

Return to “Instruments”