Reaktor Ensembles Unusable !?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reaktor standalone seems to be pretty variable in how it behaves CPU-wise. A lot of the ensembles I threw together work fine on my laptop (60-70% CPU) but choke on my main music computer (which has a faster CPU and more RAM). Go figure. I'm not totally sure what the limiting factor is. Maybe the slower the processor, the better it works?? :hihi: :hihi:

dburgan wrote:Reaktor standalone seems to be pretty variable in how it behaves CPU-wise. A lot of the ensembles I threw together work fine on my laptop (60-70% CPU) but choke on my main music computer (which has a faster CPU and more RAM). Go figure. I'm not totally sure what the limiting factor is. Maybe the slower the processor, the better it works?? :hihi: :hihi:
I hope so... my copy of Reaktor Session is in the mail, and I was looking forward to finally trying out all the stuff that resulted from the Sickle vs. dburgan Reaktor wars... and I'm on a 1GHz Athlon, 512 MB RAM.

dburgan wrote:Reaktor standalone seems to be pretty variable in how it behaves CPU-wise. A lot of the ensembles I threw together work fine on my laptop (60-70% CPU) but choke on my main music computer (which has a faster CPU and more RAM). Go figure. I'm not totally sure what the limiting factor is. Maybe the slower the processor, the better it works?? :hihi: :hihi:
It is strange - I can get away with running 95% of ensembles on my old Athlon 500 if I'm careful about samplerates etc. Tassman is equally erratic if not worse.

I had someone report that the had less CPU use on my ensembles when loaded into a host..

:?: :!: :?:

I don't care though..my shit's for the elite, anyways..

:shock:

bluedad wrote: I heard a tip about running reaktor as a vst would help, and sure enough, my problems had been in stand alone. The cpu would immediately shoot through the ceiling. I tried it in vst and it was very workable then.
Thank you Ian and Bluedad! You have just answered a major problem I've had with Reaktor Session. :)
Some of the recent user library ensembles request a higher sampling rate before crashing my 2.8 P4 1gig PC in stand alone mode. I also tried to change the sample rate to no avail.

I just tried one of the problematic ensembles in Cubase 2.2 as a vst and it automatically reset the sample rate. I can now go back to the user library and have some fun. :D

My computer is an HP Pavillion Athlon M notebook at 1.8ghz, 1 gig ram, and I use the echo indigo IO pcmcia card. On my machine, I've been able to run any and all of the Reaktor ensembles with out any problems. In the current track I'm working on, I have three other vsts running, 2 Reaktors, and 2 audio freezes, 5 insert effect vsts, and two master effects running on Cubase SE. With this, I'm at about 75% cpu at the most "noisy" part of the track. Given my lowly setup, you should be able to run Reaktor without any hitches (I would believe).

Sicklecell666 wrote:I had someone report that the had less CPU use on my ensembles when loaded into a host..

:?: :!: :?:

I don't care though..my shit's for the elite, anyways..

:shock:
...Meaning people who buy a new computer every year? Hmmm...

Don't know how representative the ensembles that shipped with the demo were, but they were within reasonable limits. The bigger synths (Kaleidon, Blue Matrix) were running about 30-40% CPU. All the others barely hit 20%, even the reverb.

Another thing to help CPU usage is to turn down the control rate.In the latest versions,a lot of modules that basically fired an event at initialization and again upon some change in earlier versions began sending events continuously at the control rate.The default is 400/sec;most ensembles will run with no noticable change in sound at 200 or even 100/sec.You adjust the control rate in the settings menu.
ew
A spectral heretic...

Return to “Instruments”