Anyone using AAS "Ultra Analog"?? How does it comp

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My review for Grooves Magazine should be out any day now on Ultra Analog. One of the best 'closest to real analog' synths I've heard. Only Fab Filter does it better for closest, but Fab Filter is entirely too stripped down. I agree, if it's for education, snap it up for $100. Easy to use, and a great teaching tool.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Incidentally, I just did a round of skimming music mags at the local Borders and saw a review of UA somewhere. The oscillators were praised in particular, as well as ease of use. It got on average 4 out of 5 stars in 5 categories. I forget which magazine that was.

-c

EDIT: That's the magazine, Grooves. Wow, nice review Devon.

Wasn't Grooves if it had a rating system in stars.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.

I think I read two reviews, but one was definitely in Grooves, and the other had the stars (maybe EQ or Electronic Musician). Maybe I'll pick up a copy instead of just reading it while sitting on the floor at Borders.

If you remember reading about alias components coming from the filter drive in the C7 and above keyboard range, then you read my article. ;) That's supposed to be fixed though later.

Devon

kritikon wrote:The demo really didn't grab my attention at all. It is a decent synth, for sure, but it just seemed like another bog-standard VA synth to me. Nice analogue style sound to it...but not a whole heap of character. ...
That was my feeling exactly.

Robert
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

DevonB wrote:My review for Grooves Magazine should be out any day now on Ultra Analog.
Hey Devon, is that in the 'Best of 2004' silver covered issue that's showing on the site? When is it supposed to hit newsstands? I didn't see it over the weekend here.

sorry, double post
Last edited by harmony gardens on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I downloaded the demo, and was totally impressed, but I decided not to buy it yet. For the little analog stuff I do, I have plenty of other options for now. If I could get it for $100, it would be a no brainer. I own Tassman 4 and Lounge Lizard, so I can attest to the quality of the companies products. I totally agree that it's a great synth for teaching, but then again, Tassman 4 is, too. Definately good stuff, but Tassman 4 has more variety.

HI

I am not the odd one out then?

I compared this with Exciton in as much as for the price you can get considerably cheaper synths that will do a very similar job for you.

I have Tassman, had Lounge Lizzard and will probably never have this!

There is just so much competition out there that I can't see the redeeming factor....... oh yes, the realism of the emulation - it apparently emulates a synthesis engine that was itself a synthetic sound generating source; how weird a target to aspire too :cry:.

Now if AAS had put a KILLER step sequencer in this (or something similarly yummy)I would have been all over it.

Flipper.

Cabinfever wrote:whats celine dion ? sounds like a french fertiliser
She is a talented vocalist with an impressive range who's material sadly all sounds the same (See also Mariah Carey) It's kinda like watching Evel Kneivel jumping over the same 30 school buses over & over & over again.

I am not schizophrenic!-just ask any of the people in my head...

The demo sounded okay to me. Nothing spectacular. There are a ton of analog synths out there and I have way too many already. AAS is not giving a price break to people who already own their products and the $$ is too high for "another" analog. To me it didn't sound that much "better" than a lot of other stuff I already have. Will pass for now.

Take Care
Don't feed the trolls

gcsmoney wrote:
Cabinfever wrote:whats celine dion ? sounds like a french fertiliser
She is a talented vocalist with an impressive range who's material sadly all sounds the same
To be expected when her last major gig was as high priced help at an Air Canada convention! :hihi:

rjt wrote:The demo sounded okay to me. Nothing spectacular. There are a ton of analog synths out there and I have way too many already. AAS is not giving a price break to people who already own their products and the $$ is too high for "another" analog. To me it didn't sound that much "better" than a lot of other stuff I already have. Will pass for now.

Take Care
Gotta agree with all you said. If I was just starting to buy vsti's, it might look more attractive.

And besides, they said that Tassman will get the filters and oscs in a future update (T5?). Since I have T4, I can wait! :wink:

shamann wrote:
DevonB wrote:My review for Grooves Magazine should be out any day now on Ultra Analog.
Hey Devon, is that in the 'Best of 2004' silver covered issue that's showing on the site? When is it supposed to hit newsstands? I didn't see it over the weekend here.
Yes, that one. I have reviews for Reaktor EI:V2, Battery 2, and Ultra Analog in that issue. I still don't have my copy yet, but imagine I should have it tomorrow though in the mail. I usually get it around the 15th.

Devon

Return to “Instruments”