TC Plex presets here. Was: Any PLEX users here?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vista wrote: TD = Tangerine Dream ?

...still an existing band ?

:?:
Yeah, they exist very much. They have been releasing new cd's all these years, must be well over 100 albums already...

It's actually amazing how many people (even many old fans) are surprised to hear they still exist.

The official site is www.tangerinedream.org

Enough offtopic for today. :oops:

tconrardy wrote:
But of course..it would be nice to create your own sample set...is there a way to do it?

TC
no - Plex uses it's own resynthesis model (similar to Cameleon and Neutron but a different alogorithm)

of course itz would be easy for Steinberg to provide additional sound-material or even to release and add-on programme to analyze samples and create models but apparently that's not in their interest... all in all Plex was revolutionary and unique when it came out (it was the first software-resynthesizer) but now it's a bit like a mini-Cameleon :wink:

gravehill wrote:...must be well over 100 albums already...
WOW !

:roll:

More about Plex:

Plex resynthesis has clearly a much higher quality than Cameleon. Nonetheless I never read any complaints about the bad quality of Cameleon's 'samples'. I think the reason is because Camel made it quite clear from the beginning that Cameleon is a resynthesizer so it's not samples but only a recreation of them.
With Plex on the other hand they never marketed it like a resynthesizer and I bet a lot of people who tried it missed that it is indeed one.

Also Plex has no morphing, velocity layers and multi-mapping (which is unique to Cameleon and the reason why it can sound relatively realistic).

Anyway: If you compare the design of both, Plex and Cameleon, it is quite obvious that they are rather similar and Plex is the older of the two.

To me the big thing is that it is so easy to create UNrealistic sounds with Plex. I like soundscapes and weird modulating pads etc. There are enough synths around, IMHO, that sound A BIT like piano or strings or you name it...

I think the big challenge for synth developers is to come up with something original and different from all competition. With Plex Steinberg had good possibilities but they should do something about it. Maybe the new owner, Yamaha, will kick their asses in right direction. :wink:

I'm glad Tim was the one to pick this up from me.

i KNEW he'd like it and create some wicked presets. not that I'll ever know what they sound like :x :hihi:

enjoy.

ttoz wrote:I'm glad Tim was the one to pick this up from me.

i KNEW he'd like it and create some wicked presets. not that I'll ever know what they sound like :x :hihi:

enjoy.
well...hopefully someone will make a tune with them..I would be honored... (or... maybe I can :-) and then you can hear them.

To be very honest, I don't see the differance between Cameleon and Plex. Maybe its because I see Cameleon as an additive monster, and Plex is simply moving around different parts of the sound, but with a fixed sound set. It is not additive to my understanding ( or..is it???) Thats what makes them sound different. If you put all the Plex Icons together on one sound set, such as Piano...you will be playing the sample of the piano. Cameleon does not do this..you are resynthisizing a sample of a piano ( for example) into its additive structure, and it turns out a bit different.

TC

ttoz wrote:I'm glad Tim was the one to pick this up from me.

enjoy.
EDIT: ooops...the server barfed. Wheres that Barfing Emoticon???
:?: :?: :lol:

since I'm here...started on some more sounds for the C bank. Might update this bank soon..

Thanks Totz for wanting to get rid of it...but sad for you as well

:cry:

TC

tconrardy wrote: If you put all the Plex Icons together on one sound set, such as Piano...you will be playing the sample of the piano. Cameleon does not do this..you are resynthisizing a sample of a piano ( for example) into its additive structure, and it turns out a bit different.

no, you won't be playing the sample of the piano (how should it work?) - it's resynthesis in any way - dunno if it's additive or another technique but as I wrote: the quality is much higher than that of Cameleon... :)

(that's why you think it's sample-playback)

gravehill wrote:
vista wrote: TD = Tangerine Dream ?
...still an existing band ?
:?:
Yeah, they exist very much. They have been releasing new cd's all these years, must be well over 100 albums already...
And 90% of them are shit :P Since 1992 they are producing only crap, always the same sounds and chords - most of the demo songs for plugins on the web are better. But there old things where great; try Tangram, Exit or Hyperborea.

As Jens is pointing out and as I've been doing so in this thread and since the synth came out, you get a impression of a sound which is why people were turned off. They expected something like Cameleon, which Jens and I noted in this thread, was more palitable and directly stated by Camel Audio. They made their resynthesis closer to realistic sounds that could be messed with, Cube took the Plex route but on a much vaster level.

Had there been support for Plex there would have been improvments because the market would have demanded it. Oops, we're talking about Steinberg, I keep forgetting they don't pay attention to things like that. Instead they kill the product....
Reviews http://www.musicfaq.net
Selected tracks from new album TRAUMA :
http://netnewmusic.ning.com/profile/BSatinover

Can someone post some MP3s of these patches so us non-Plex owners can see if we should get it?
http://www.retouchpro.com - The world's largest photo retouching community

WOK wrote:... old things where great; try Tangram, Exit or Hyperborea...
thanks for the tip,
will try it.

:)

Try also 'white eagle' :D

Return to “Instruments”