Can't get multi-channel VSTi's working in Logic...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to get a multi-channel instrument (Edirol Orchestral) working in Logic Audio Platinum 5.5, but whatever I do, it doesn't work.

I've read other similar posts about this, and I've faffed on with Aux tracks and the like, but I can't get different instruments sounding out of just the one instance of the plug-in. I can't seem to change the midi-channel on one line without chaging all the others too.

I would really aprecialte it if someone could give me a step-by-step guide to doing this right, It's probably something simple I'm overlooking and it's annoying me! Thanks.

KvR's own TennesseeVic has a site explaining how it works...in picture form :) It has helped me and hopefully will do the same for you.

find it here

Hope TennesseeVic doesn't mind me mentioning his site again ;)

op519 wrote:KvR's own TennesseeVic has a site explaining how it works...in picture form :) It has helped me and hopefully will do the same for you.

I looked here, and I did what it said, but no sound will come out of my Aux object! - What do you set the MIDI channel to?

I don't think the output of the Audio Instrument is going to the Aux object; how do I do that?

JumpingJackFlash wrote:What do you set the MIDI channel to?
Set the Audio Instrument MIDI channel to All.
I don't think the output of the Audio Instrument is going to the Aux object; how do I do that?
Assign the output of each MIDI channel to a different VST audio output in the VST instrument itself.

Just remembered that there's an old thread on here with screenshots I posted ages ago....

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

...try that. Hope it helps. :)

op519 wrote:Hope TennesseeVic doesn't mind me mentioning his site again ;)
Not at all.

I did an even more elaborate version with GPO.

V.

Ach! - I still can't do it. I've read and done everything that's been mentioned, but I still can't get any sound out of the aux channels.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm inputting the notes on the Aux track in the arrange window; is that right?

Aux 1 is set to MIDI channel 3, Aux 2 is on channel 4 etc. yes? The aux channels are mono, correct?

The output on both the original instrument and the aux tracks is both output 1-2, correct?

I'm not sure where the New > Multi-Instruemnt thing comes into it??

I really can't see what I'm doing wrong here!

JumpingJackFlash wrote:I'm inputting the notes on the Aux track in the arrange window; is that right?
Nope. You have to put them on another track set up for your desired Audio Instrument. Just change the MIDI channel of the notes/controllers and not the Audio Instrument. It's in the thread I posted above.

I had a feeling that's what you might be doing wrong....

In the above example, notes on the Xphrase|Wave Seq track are on MIDI channel 1 while those on the Xphrase|Choral Pad track are on MIDI channel 2.

The Audio Instrument object containing Xphrase itself has it's MIDI channel set to All.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I've got it or not... I don't seem to be using the Aux channels in any way now?

Is it normal for the new audio objects for each MIDI channel to look like they have the multi-channel synth loaded up in them? - How is this different than actually having different instances of the same VST? (Or, is this what I'm still doing)?

The computer seems to be handeling it better now than before, but still not completely without error messages etc. - This could just be my computer of course.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me (here and by having web pages on the subject).

JumpingJackFlash wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure if I've got it or not... I don't seem to be using the Aux channels in any way now?
You will use the aux object. It will pull the extra audio channels away from the multi channel audio instrument. Set the input of the Aux object to Instrument X 3-4 (or something like that).

You will not send MIDI notes to the aux object. Therefore you will not need to have aux tracks in the arrange page.
Is it normal for the new audio objects for each MIDI channel to look like they have the multi-channel synth loaded up in them? - How is this different than actually having different instances of the same VST? (Or, is this what I'm still doing)?
This is normal. If you ahve four Audio Instrument objects set to the same Audio instrument channel (for example Instrument 1), they will all appear to have the multichannel instrument loaded in them, but it is only one instance that is loaded.

What you will want to do is set each of these "duplicate" audio Instruments to a different MIDI Channel in their parameters box, give them logical names by which you can differentiate them, and create tracks in the arrange page pointing to them. Each track in the arrange page will therefore play one "part" of the multitimbral multi-output instrument.
The computer seems to be handeling it better now than before, but still not completely without error messages etc. - This could just be my computer of course.

What are the error messages?

Return to “Instruments”