I Got Money

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to invest some money I just got into my studio. At the moment I'm using a G4 with Cubase SX 2. The only VSTs I have are the few synths that came with it, the Oddity, and Crystal. I also use a lot of home made samples. I can't find nearly as many free VSTs for my mac as I could on my PC using FL. I had over 100 of them on their, only been able to get 1 somewhat useful one on the mac. So I'm thinking about giving in and buying some.

What I'm looking for is a synth that can do more organic sounds (think Boards of Canada), none of the beepy vintage sounding stuff. I want something warm and thick sounding, human not mechanical. I also feel like I don't have enough control over my samples. I don't know much about sampling but I feel like there's got to be more to it then just copying and pasting in cubase. With a budget of about 1800 I want to get the best hardware/software synths, sampler, and effects that would make my studio feel more complete. So I'm asking for suggestions.

And here is some of my music to get an idea of what I'm going for:
http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseac ... 0126073734

if youve already got the oddity.do you like it?
i do i think it rocks,but its little brother(in terms of company only) the impOSCar is another great addition.
but for some really nice organic lush BOC type stuff you could find yourself in love with absynth quite easily :love:

good luck anyway 8)

A few that that I'd pick right off the bat based on your post:

- Virsyn Tera
- Sampletank2 XL or Sonik Synth 2, depending on taste.
- Maybe Imposcar - it's great, but I'd look at Tera first in your case.
- Cameleon 5000 - if you're looking for something a bit different.

All of these are supported on Mac OSX.

Doug
Last edited by dougsyo on Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

An obvious choice if you dont have it already...

Zebra

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/761.html

For organic(ish) sounds , u cant really beat Arturia's CS-80V , altho its gonna hit your G4 pretty hard on the CPU . Apart from that id second krim's choice , Zebra , its deep , and organic.

For sampling u could wait for Kontakt 2 altho it is pretty steep at 500 euros ( i think ) . Otherwise there's Motu's Mach5 , no idea whats its like tho as there's no demo online.

Effects wise , if boards of canada is the sound u're goin for try PSP's 42 + 84 , they're sweet as.....plus there are demos available on PSP's site.

For hardware u might wanna check out dave smith's evolver , its only a mono synth but its capable of some crazy , beautiful sounds -

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/evolver/sounds.html

regards

brick

synthedit.. or maxmsp or summink.. get a modular system, put some years into it.

and save the rest of your $ for all the money you won't be making whilst you do so.

or you could buy my fizmo! (which, oddly enough, bought for the exact same reason you stated, well, w/o the boc ref.) too bad for my fiz synthedit came out.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:synthedit.. or maxmsp or summink.. get a modular system, put some years into it.

and save the rest of your $ for all the money you won't be making whilst you do so.

or you could buy my fizmo! (which, oddly enough, bought for the exact same reason you stated, well, w/o the boc ref.) too bad for my fiz synthedit came out.
SE...he has a Mac :wink:

Love the term "organic synthesizer sound". :D It's such a contradiction in language; however, it IS possible and I do know what you're talking about. :)

Er.. recommendations, then....

Well, the only commercial synth/player I use is Wusikstation, which I do not believe is on Mac. So that's my recommendation out the window. ;)

Greg

Kriminal wrote: SE...he has a Mac :wink:
well stick a glass rod up my yonk and smash it with a hammer.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I'll second what was said about Absynth 2 being great for organic, BoCish sounds... I have a Boards' themed bank up at the NI Absynth user library. Absynth can do so much and so well, it has about the best envelopes I've seen which make for slow evolving pads, plus anti-aliased osc's. It just sounds great.

Another one: Vokator. It seems to get absolutely 0 love around here. However, it's well capable of producing that degraded warmth of BoC as well through the wicked things you can do with sample-based patches.
A well-behaved signature.

vurt - I enjoy playing around with the Oddity although it is kind of unusal to program (probably why its called the oddity?) but it isnt the sound I want to make. I want the meat of my melodies to sound softer and grainier sounding.

Thanks for the reccomendations.

[quote="vurt"]for some really nice organic lush BOC type stuff you could find yourself in love with absynth quite easily :love:
[quote]

best synth in the world :wink: all you need is a lead synth to add to that (look for a krakli - especially either a effem or a lizard) :wink:

steve

blaster78 wrote:all you need is a lead synth to add to that (look for a krakli - especially either a effem or a lizard) :wink:
steve
The guys on a Mac so I'm no use to him at all :(

I was just thinking, since you said you've got a budget of $1800 and you're starting afresh on the Mac, just go out and get Komplete 2. It gives you scads of top-notch stuff which are useful for many things, including what you want to do.
A well-behaved signature.

ianweb123 wrote:The guys on a Mac so I'm no use to him at all :(
Aw, don't be so hard on yourself, Ian. I edit Krakli stuff on my Mac a lot...via the Receptor remote, of course

Komplete will indeed get you there. Mind you, you might only need Reaktor. Sure it's deep, but with so many great ensembles available, it need only be as deep as you like. Until you decide to "roll your own" you could treat it just like any other synth. Cameleon and Cube are also good, and I use XPhraze all the time in SX3 (though I rarely touch the "rhythmic" patches...I always make my own).

However, I can't help but think that maybe you need to explore what you have as well. Try experimenting with effects and such. You may find that you can squeeze more usefulness out of your current synths. BoC made a lot of great sounds with simple analog gear, augmented with a sense of adventure. Though a sampler wouldn't go amiss...
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

Return to “Instruments”