z3ta+ how to get that effect(spread/unison/fat)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yep. I sayed this would use double power, it it was anything close to real unisono.

stefancrs wrote:
jens wrote:
jackle&hyde wrote: Maybe they do it that way.
But then (logically) the switching of this "effect" would use double performance power. Wouldn't it?

Would it really? Aren't the filter, fx, etc using cpu as well? :?
Atleast, to my ears, I get the very same result if I use stereo oscillators with stereo detuning.
A stereo filter uses slightly less cpu than two separate filters and all the modulators (envelopes, lfo's), the fx and so on use the same amount of cpu no matter how many oscillators there are up and running.
yes, that's what I meant... :)

jackle&hyde wrote:Yep. I sayed this would use double power, it it was anything close to real unisono.

Actually you said that "But then (logically) the switching of this "effect" would use double performance power. Wouldn't it?", and no, it wouldn't. Because it's just adding another oscillator (and maybe switching the filter to stereo mode if they even have a mono mode).
Heck, they might even run both oscillators in sync when the fat-knob is at zero. What do we know? :)
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

Yes.
We all understand this.

Its merely the fact (i tried to demonstrate), that with a real unisono on most synthesizeres a proportional higher amount of processor power is used.

You can see this effect at each digital synthesizer, which features unisono.

So I am very sensitive to claims of "unisono" modi on several synthesizers.

And the "Fat" knob on Vanguard is in fact no unisono.
It is maybe anything, but no unisono. Period.

stefancrs wrote:Heck, they might even run both oscillators in sync when the fat-knob is at zero. What do we know? :)
They probably do. My synth Meridian runs four oscillators at all times; there's a Detune knob which spreads the frequencies of the four oscs, and a Drift knob which causes the freqs of all four to wander slightly (or not so slightly). Mind you, I also use the mix among the four to control the effective waveform at the same time. I was originally panning the oscillators slightly as well, but that meant I had to run the filters in stereo as well, which I was reluctant to do for performance reasons. (Hm, I should try stereo filters again now that the filters are SSE.)
Don't do it my way.

I cannot understand, why so many developers implement the crazyest oscillator stacks and finally merely mono filters. That's contraproductive.

And I also don't understand, why so many developers don't see the potential of a real unisono mode therefore.

Because this would allow to stack as many voices as needed over each other, each with their own signal channel (including the filter).

OK. it needs significantly more power, but it is also merely an option to give the voice more power if needed by the user. Actually a very simple solution.

Even the good old digital DX7 did give us this option for some obvious reasons.

jackle&hyde wrote:I cannot understand, why so many developers implement the crazyest oscillator stacks and finally merely mono filters. That's contraproductive.
While you may have a point in this case, you're still irritating.
Don't do it my way.

Borogove wrote:
jackle&hyde wrote:I cannot understand, why so many developers implement the crazyest oscillator stacks and finally merely mono filters. That's contraproductive.
While you may have a point in this case, you're still irritating.
Hahahaha :lol:
Btw, jackle&hyde (the "both" of you), what was the point in claiming that vanguard does not have a unison mode when no-one said that they did? You argue that it is not unison by saying that using two oscillators in stereo would double the cpu usage (if it was unison, which no-one ever said it was) when it clearly doesn't? Why? :)
Stefan H Singer

Seems, that you are just more confused and wired than me.

Sorry but was this a question to me?

So read the threads again, if you didn't understand something here.

Cheerz.

jackle&hyde wrote:Seems, that you are just more confused and wired than me.

Sorry but was this a question to me?

So read the threads again, if you didn't understand something here.

Cheerz.
Nevermind. If you didn't want to explain your behaviour, you don't have to. In what way was it unclear that it was a question to you? And what did I seem confused about? I'm confused about your methods of "arguing", but that's all. And that's no wonder imo :)
Last edited by stefancrs on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan H Singer

And ps: You are not forced to answer to any post I do here. You also can ignore it. :wink:

the fad button on vanguard sounds just like a chorus, or some like that..

the unison on virus is killer.. :)

Return to “Instruments”