VX7 - TAKE IT FREE ! ... until it stops

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VX7

MrM wrote:Yes Chainer VSTi, or Energy XT.
So are all the FLS users doing this? I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason why I'm not getting sound, i.e. system setup or something like that.

Steven West wrote:Wait, wait, wait! Vista - are you saying this CAN import SY77/99 and DX voices already?
Menu > File > Import > FileType
- VX7 Banks
- DX7 Sysex
- SY77 SynthAll
- SY77 AllData

Menu > File > Open > FileType
- VX7 Banks
- DX7 Sysex
- SY77 SynthAll
- SY77 AllData

All Data means ... All Data !

:)

Steven West wrote:Ahhhh crap. :( So is it just more of a FM synth then?
Actually, it's not just more of an FM synth, it's only an FM synth. At least, at this point, it is. Maybe the developer intended to add PCM and RCM capabilities sometime in the future?
Steven West wrote:Was hoping it had even SOME of the waveforms inside. Something about the SY strings and choirs and all just grab me still. Even the crappy 'Steam' and 'Tube' AWM's - they were so bad, they were good! ;)
You can pretty much quit dreaming about that happening--unless Yamaha themselves contribute to an SY/TG emulation. All those waveforms are protected under copyright. A developer would get in a lot of hot water if they used the original waveforms. The best you could expect from an independent developer is to substitute different waveforms. Then again, that might not be so bad. We could possibly get the benefit of higher sample rates and greater bit depths. It should be fairly easy to accomodate waveforms of higher quality than those Yamaha used in the SY77/TG77/SY99 synths. The biggest hurdle is gathering a suitable collection of high-quality waveforms that doesn't infringe on anyone's copyright. You'll either have to do a lot of your own sampling, or pay someone decent money to use their existing library of sounds.

I would really like to see an emulation of the SY99, even it didn't use original Yamaha waveforms. Allowing the user to import their own waveforms would be terrific enough.

I would also like to see the plugin support both attack & release velocity, as well as both channel & key aftertouch. That would make a very fine synth.

take care,
McLilith

Igor 4000 wrote:I'm not getting any sound out of it in FL5. Any ideas?
Is there ANYTHING that works regularly in FL ?... :hihi:

vista wrote:All Data means ... All Data !
...except for waveforms. :)

I'll be more than happy to admit I'm wrong, if you can show me how to do a patch on this synth which uses PCM waveforms and RCM synthesis. ;)

Still, I have imported some presets from my TG77 collection, and I can see where this synth would be useful for FM-only work. It's a shame if developement has stopped on this synth. I would love to see it continue to grow in capability.

take care,
McLilith

Rellik wrote: a.) pain to edit.... data knob every time ...

b.) Anybody know how to change the "Algorithm"?
a.) doubleclick on valueidentifier instead of dataknob !

b.) doubleclick on "Algorithm"
and/or register "edit" > SRC >
doubleclick on OPx
Last edited by vista on Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hmmmm, I see what you're saying McLilith. :( But yes, even like a SY99 then with umlimited sampling abilities. (What was the 99 highest - 4MB?) That would be cool indeed. :hihi:

The whole issue of using the samples/waveforms is baffling to me. If I make a 'hit song that makes millions' using my SY77 and RM50 and all these wave sounds that become 'my trademark sound' - I don't pay Yamaha a cent. But if Vista et al uses that distintive 'tube' sound or 'bell peel' wave off a SY77 or 99 - they can get in trouble? :? I don't doubt what you're saying McLilith - it's just so weird? I could understand if it was sounds off a Motif 8ES, and Vistas MO8 infringed on Yamaha sales by using the exact same samples at a much lower price... But over synths that have been discontinued for 7-12 years? I wouldn't put it past Yamaha though. ;)

It'd be nice if Vista or someone could get 'Yamahas blessing' to find and use the samples and credit Yamaha on the VST somewhere at the least. Or - just put a sampling option on the VX7 and I can sample my cards off my 77 and RM50, and Yamaha's none the wiser. It's not like I haven't ALREADY done this on Akai's and Rolands already to bring back a Yamaha sound. :hihi:

Synth manufactures - what a weird bunch. ;)

McLilith wrote:It's a shame if developement has stopped on this synth. I would love to see it continue to grow in capability.
i totally agree.

i'm only a fan of the VX7 and
have nothing todo with this synth.

but perhaps speedsoft is inspired
by the 5000+ clicks in one day ?

who knows...

:roll:

Ahhh, sorry Vista. Thought you were on the 'inside dev team' so to speak. ;)

Okay, so change every time I said 'Vista' to 'SpeedSoft' - and it will still make sense. :lol:

Steven West wrote:

PS - Forever Sun... Need a SY Floppy Drive you say?
Look at the list here. http://www.hometown.aol.com/route66studios/media.html
As for the buttons - you can dig in on them. Stupid little 'Chicklet buttons', but they can take the punishment. ;) Now where did YOU get your LCD display? I've been searching the 4 corners of the earth for one.
Hi Steven,
Well, the floppy is temperamental but not as much as the freaking buttons. I had it serviced by a company based in Swansea ( if I remember well). They had managed to fit in a new LCD but, apparently, it was a major job due to some internal design peculiarities.
Gosh. You know, I've managed to use my (oh so dear) SY77 for a long time with no light in the LCD. :shock:

I have to agree with you about some of the sounds. The God of WAVs smiled on SY77 when Yamaha was choosing internal samples. :D

Get that string or choir sample mix it in with a carefully edited algorithm no#42 and hear the heavens sing ! :D However I can make it sound even more lush just using that one algorithm 42 ( 3 osc, innit ?! :D )

Fancy exchanging a few user sounds ???? :wink:

EDIT.
I forgot. As well as no light, my SY77 developed a life of it's own, the cursor moved by itself and I was rarely able to select anything in the LCD !
Mind you, it was after 10 years of heavy use.

McLilith wrote:it's only an FM synth.
Exactly.Quality-wise I rate it a bit under my old FB01,but I guess if you have no FM at all it's ok.
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein

Alan wrote:Quality-wise I rate it a bit under my old FB01,but I guess if you have no FM at all it's ok.
Man, that's cruel. :o

I think it's probably better than the FB01, but I have to admit that I've not played with VX7 more than a half-hour so far, and it's been several years since I played with an FB01. Still, the D/A converters used inside the FB01 should make it second-rate to the VX7, if nothing else.

I think the biggest problem that VX7 currently has, in a competition with other FM synths, is probably the lack of quality presets made expressly for the VX7. I did notice that a lot of the SY77 presets didn't translate very well into VX7 sounds, but I think this was mostly because of a lack of PCM. Some of the SY77 sounds imported into VX7 with simply beautiful results.

It's a work in progress that might never get worked on again, but I think it still beats an FB01. On the other hand, my TG77 has nothing to worry about yet. :)

take care,
McLilith

Against Scuzzphuts warnings - I broke down and tried this VX7.... It ain't bad! :shock: Some of the SY's famed FM voices are there and faithfully recreated, wavesequenced and all. The GUI and selection of voices and Multi's bring back fond memories as well. Nicely done! :hail:

BUT - with a FM7, Oxe FM, Ganymed and Vivaldi already, would I be willing to shell out $60 for ANOTHER FM synth....? I don't think so. :( A FM synth with a user sample area and RCM, and a 'drumkit map' like the SY's - heck, I'd give you $100 for! :hihi:

It's a admirable job so far, and if further developed - I'd be definately interested. But for now, it's a cute novelty that I'll leave sitting around for a hoot. ;)

Forever Sun - sounds like dirt/grim under the contact membrane of your bank buttons. It's a big friggin chore to get at them - but I think if a service center took the time and charged you for it, they could be cleaned with some special spray and cleanser and restored to almost new. Maybe a $150 in service charge - but if you love it...? ;) I wish I could get a backlight for mine, I miss that 'blue hue' terribly - but what a pain to find them huh?
Got a EX5 now, but I still miss that good ol 77 that's stored away. :(

ZioKiller wrote:
Igor 4000 wrote:I'm not getting any sound out of it in FL5. Any ideas?
Is there ANYTHING that works regularly in FL ?... :hihi:

Ziiiing :hihi:

Steven West wrote:I wish I could get a backlight for mine, I miss that 'blue hue' terribly - but what a pain to find them huh?
Got a EX5 now, but I still miss that good ol 77 that's stored away. :(
I replaced the backlight in my TG77. Yamaha says you have to replace the whole expensive LCD assembly, but that's only because they never stocked the backlight seperately. I tracked down a suitable donor LCD display on eBay, ripped the EL backlight out of it, and installed it into my TG77's LCD. That worked for me. The trick is finding that "suitable donor" LCD.

There used to be a place in the USA that sold a very similar LCD assembly for not very much money, but I think the backlight color might have been different. I almost bought a display from them. If I can find the URL, I'll let you know who they are, and maybe they still have a few in stock, if you're interested.

As for the person with troublesome tactile switches, can't you just replace them instead of cleaning them? Some of these switches are somewhat generic, and can be bought cheaply from different sources--if you only knew which part numbers to cross-reference them to. Did Yamaha quit stocking replacement switches?

I used to do synth repairs for a living, just in case anyone wondered. I also want to state that I'm not suggesting that anyone open their synth and electrocute themselves trying to fix something. I'm just saying that there should be a source of replacement parts if you look in the right places. For the actual repair work, you should always get a qualified tech to perform that sort of job. There are dangerous things inside synths that you don't want to accidently touch. :-o

take care,
McLilith

Return to “Instruments”