Stylus is Obviously A Quality Instrument but....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thats why the naming conventions drive me crazy, spent some time with it today and all the crazy catagories and names don't mean squat, I could see someone wanting to get into it for a piece they'er working on and really getting pissed off at not being able to find just whats needed through all of the confusion titles. I know you can load rexfiles and I suppose you can name those what you want but I was just going through the plug trying to get a feel for it and all of those patch names just really made me feel like I was doing extra work to feel it all out. generally speaking I feel this kind of thing is superficial but it just gave me a headache. how do guys that own the plug go through it and decipher the sounds?

you said.
"spent some time"
dont judge over it after playing with it some minutes or even some hours.
for example there is one menu where ALL is categorized and not sorted by name.
it takes years to develope the own music and not minutes.
have a nice day, i wont be rude

I tend to use it mostly in "kit mode"...and its all categirized very nicely, claps-aggressive, kicks-boomy etc etc....

Ill choose a couple kicks and snare, hats then layer those with some of the "elements" such as percussion loops or cymbal loops.

BTW, what do you think of the new efx and preset system? I think they sound GREAT!! radio delay is the shit!
Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good

I don't know about new presets or anything like that, I don't own it, just messed around with another Live user who thinks it's the best thing to ever run in Live. I heard a lot of cool things but I like the newyork style beats to flow over, raw and dry stuff, I had a difficult time going through sounds to find something i like granted I didn't really spend much time with it but it seemed really geared towards electronic music. of course if I end up getting it it most likely won't be a problem to rex up my extensive drum library samples but I was a little put off by the slant.

I think if it had a different kind of library, say a jazz+rock+funk+hiphop and left all the electronic and r&b stuff out with the same sample quality that atomosphere and trilogy are known for they could of charged even more for it and I still would of got it some time in the future i'm sure. I think the best
electronic music comes from people tweaking basic drum machine sounds and natural drum sounds and making electronic sounds out of that, I hate electronic drumsound libraries.

outside of that it seems pretty cool at that and I'll probly end up with it, my friend is hardly using much else but rmx and live right now and finds it very intoxicating.

I own RMX and love it, but a couple of suggestions if you're after something less electronic:

1. As you say, roll your own with Recycle.
2. Sage expanders available may cover what you're after (i.e. Burning Grooves).
3. For loop based acoustic drums, look at DrumCore. Mac only at the moment, but Win version on the way. Looks very cool, glowing review in the latest SoS as well.
Image Image

I found your comments very surprising! :shock: :o

We put a HUGE effort into categorizing and organizing everything extremely carefully. It took a massive amount of time and that's something we are really proud of. RMX has over 10,000 single hit samples for example....all organized into specific categories. But you probably didn't check the lower sound directory menu?

I have a feeling that you haven't checked out the Sound Menus, Groove Elements or Kit Mode directories in the Browser....am I right?

Sounds like you only looked at the very first RMX Grooves directory which is organized by tempo. You can also view the Groove Elements directory, which is organized by instrument.

There's a TON of non-electronic stuff available for RMX....not only in the core library, but also in the 9 new SAGE Xpanders...so style wise, you're covered well in all the genres you are interested in.

Anything specific you are looking for you can add with your own REX files, and REX libraries.

spectrum

PS. Check out the Backbeat Xpander demos for an example of the non-electro capabilities of RMX http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/ ... _demos.php

I think what Stale Bread is getting at is that in the Core Library, new RMX Grooves and the original Stylus aren't categorised by music genre/style....only by BPM.

There's no way to tell from the random names what style the a particular groove is....Jazz, House, Trip Hop..etc

A name like "Plod" doesn't tell you a lot.

However, I find this quite fun auditioning stuff and not knowing what exactly you're going to get....serendipidy!

hi spectrum, you're right I didn't go through everything even most of the stuff oddsbods finger is right too. maybe I wasn't clear enough, I think your products are exceptional you're one of the few developers that have that must have status for everything you put out and it's easy to see how much work you put into them. I'm just a little over sensitive persay and those crazy names and drumsamples just don't go together for me. I'd be happy just to be able to rename them, is that possible?
next week end i'm going to spend a whole day with it. I've never been big on rexfiles as i'm a heavy live user and my drumsamples are mostly single hits but rmx difinitely looks like a good reason to start rexin.

Yeah...that's completely intentional. A groove like "Plod" ISN'T a particular style. There are so many ways to use the instrument in many different musical contexts, it would be incredibly limiting to say one groove was only for one style, when it's all about the context you put it in. The one thing you can say about that particular groove is that it's a "slow plodding" groove...so that name absolutely tells a lot about the vibe of that groove.

RMX doesn't have strict "styles" per se....like something like Groove Agent does....it's more about being creative with a lot of interesting elements to work with. We don't want to limit people's thinking....especially when everyone has a different definition of what many specific styles are anyway! The moment you say...this is House, someone will say NO IT'S NOT....but they can easily make their kind of House with all the Elements that are included in the Core Library. Keeping an Open Mind is what it is all about :-)

The grooves are actually already organized by broad types in the Main Directories, for example RMX grooves is the more electronic sounding new stuff we did, Classic Stylus is the original more-vinylish stuff, the Xpanders are organized into broad categories too...Retro Acoustic, Backbeat (HiFi Acoustic), Burning (Aggressive Acoustic)., Liquid (Mellow Acoustic), etc.

You can definitely use the Favorites system to put together stuff the way you want and have it appear according to you own wish of organizational styles. That's pretty easy to do and a big part of how you keep all the material that your interesting straight and organized.

We can also add some more categories to show it broken down more into Electronic/Vinyl/Film Score, etc if people would like that....there's a fairly easy way that we could add this functionality.

But before you condemn the system we have, you should really try the whole thing and see how you like working with it (especially the Groove Elements category which is organized by instrument)....you haven't even explored the directories that we already have. There's an awful lot there that you haven't even seem yet :-)

spectrum

hey thanks for chiming in I appreciate your insight :wink:, It'll be an RMx weekend.

whats up stale bread

couple o' things to try

1. make sure your in "slice menu" mode (dropdown menu, lower right corner)
2. browse through some beats and find one whose "sounds" you like, not the pattern itself but just cool sounds.
3. play a new beat on your keyboard.

OR

1. go to the mixer page and start browsing through the kits by going into "kit mode". trust me, there are some really nice kits in there (40 total)
2. you can easily replace any of the sounds in your kit via the mixer page if you'd like to choose another kick for example.
Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good

spectrum wrote:There's a TON of non-electronic stuff available for RMX....not only in the core library, but also in the 9 new SAGE Xpanders...so style wise, you're covered well in all the genres you are interested in.
Hang on a minute spectrum, I know about 5 expanders, what are the next 4? Has some of the ILIO stuff been released?
helge

HELP! MY TYPEWRITER IS BROKEN!
E E CUMMINGS

HelgeG wrote:
spectrum wrote:There's a TON of non-electronic stuff available for RMX....not only in the core library, but also in the 9 new SAGE Xpanders...so style wise, you're covered well in all the genres you are interested in.
Hang on a minute spectrum, I know about 5 expanders, what are the next 4? Has some of the ILIO stuff been released?
Coming Soon!

http://www.spectrasonics.net/news/ilioxpanders.html

spectrum

Return to “Instruments”