Dear Steinberg.........

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

S_A_P wrote:
bleebsen wrote:I'd really suggest to stop whining about dongles, or Steinberg in particular. Simply don't buy it, and don't waste your time complaining about it.

Every software-protection has advantages and dis-advantages. And I personally have never experienced any problem with my SX3-dongle. It sits there, sometimes flashes, and that's about it.
I can sell it, carry it around and use it on different computers.. seems very friendly to me.

And to know that there's still no crack gives me the feeling that my money is well spend on Cubase AND the dongle.

sincerely,
2-cent-bleeb
So you would feel cheated that you paid for the software if a crack existed?!?!? bollocks!

I dont give a shit if everyother citizen of the planet uses the crack, I have the peace of mind that I didnt have to steal my software. I like how steinbergs marketing has spun this dongle thing- we made you buy a dongle for your own good. Obviously the lack of a crack still hasnt prevented steinberg from having financial woes, so it sounds to me like a management problem.

Im sure Cubase is a great app and I would probably love it if I owned it. The fact remains, however no matter how you spin it, that Steinberg is punishing the paying customer by forcing them to buy a dongle...
what absolute nonsense - steinberg finincial woes ??????? - sold for 28 million bucks (ie more than it was bought for two years ago ) if they have finanical worries better forget about cakewalk, imageline etc - lots of people going broke

but back on topic

so what you appear to be saying is that a form of copy protection punishes the end user - and that everyone can be trusted just to pay up

i'm afriad it's a nice idea but something as expensive to produce as cubase is not going to ever be donation ware. Lots of people need to be paid

everything is copy protected - not to stop crack users but to stop YOU from leanding it to your friend, using it on more PCs than you should and other such petty thievery. The dongle does this job just as well as challenge/response and it at least makes it easy to install it on another computer - ie you dont need to authorise it on the internerd

OK i can see the stealing problem and it falling off laptops - nothing is perfect but is suits me just fine becuase neither will happen anywhere near here soon - besides my house insurance would cover me for both

as for forcing me to buy a dongle - eh no the £500 app came free with a £15 one -

HI

I don't like dongles - saying that the Logic dongle was great - you just put it in a usb socket and that is it.

The thing I didn't like with the SX dongle was the registration bit.

What I can't fathom though is why don't 'they' (the industry) ALL use the same dongle - that way ALL our software would work via it and it would save a world of time flaffing around with stuff like Native Instruments and the like.

Flipper.

ericj23 wrote:
S_A_P wrote:
bleebsen wrote:I'd really suggest to stop whining about dongles, or Steinberg in particular. Simply don't buy it, and don't waste your time complaining about it.

Every software-protection has advantages and dis-advantages. And I personally have never experienced any problem with my SX3-dongle. It sits there, sometimes flashes, and that's about it.
I can sell it, carry it around and use it on different computers.. seems very friendly to me.

And to know that there's still no crack gives me the feeling that my money is well spend on Cubase AND the dongle.

sincerely,
2-cent-bleeb
So you would feel cheated that you paid for the software if a crack existed?!?!? bollocks!

I dont give a shit if everyother citizen of the planet uses the crack, I have the peace of mind that I didnt have to steal my software. I like how steinbergs marketing has spun this dongle thing- we made you buy a dongle for your own good. Obviously the lack of a crack still hasnt prevented steinberg from having financial woes, so it sounds to me like a management problem.

Im sure Cubase is a great app and I would probably love it if I owned it. The fact remains, however no matter how you spin it, that Steinberg is punishing the paying customer by forcing them to buy a dongle...
what absolute nonsense - steinberg finincial woes ??????? - sold for 28 million bucks (ie more than it was bought for two years ago ) if they have finanical worries better forget about cakewalk, imageline etc - lots of people going broke

but back on topic

so what you appear to be saying is that a form of copy protection punishes the end user - and that everyone can be trusted just to pay up

i'm afriad it's a nice idea but something as expensive to produce as cubase is not going to ever be donation ware. Lots of people need to be paid

everything is copy protected - not to stop crack users but to stop YOU from leanding it to your friend, using it on more PCs than you should and other such petty thievery. The dongle does this job just as well as challenge/response and it at least makes it easy to install it on another computer - ie you dont need to authorise it on the internerd

OK i can see the stealing problem and it falling off laptops - nothing is perfect but is suits me just fine becuase neither will happen anywhere near here soon - besides my house insurance would cover me for both

as for forcing me to buy a dongle - eh no the £500 app came free with a £15 one -

:shrug:

Agree to disagree then I suppose..

Breakpete wrote:Everything I have learned in the marketing courses I'm currently studying, tells me that forcing a dongle on legitimate users to protect the company from illegitimate users is just plain wrong.
This is the most insteresting statement made on this silly thread. I'd be interested in how long you have been studying marketing.

I'm saying that because once you get past part 1 : definitions you will quickly get over that notion. In part 2 they will start discussing how you actually MAKE money. Then you will get into intellectual property. How to create market share, etc.....

ALL of those require protection of property. All of those rules are tp the advantage of the company not the user. Read a EULA sometime. They all basically say "Any actual use that this software is to you is accidental. Don't call us, we'll call you".

Marketing 101: "The customer is always right".

MBA in marketing: "How to create the right customer"
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

sincerely,
2-cent-bleeb
That stands correct I see any protection scheme a way to protect legitimate user from suffering the competition of smartasses .
Piracy per se don´t affect the developers so much b/c who hasn´t the money ,was not to buying it on the first place ,only a couple of dishonest fellas would be forced to buy it.
but that kind of loosers most likely will change of platform just not pay theyr dues and keep on using cracks beyond the "Try Before Buy" disclaimer recomendations .

It also seems to me that the people that bitch the most about dongles are the people who are pissed because they can't get the latest cracked version anymore.

I will never own a Waves product as long as they use PACE. So, if you don't like it, don't buy it. It's a pretty simple solution.

Oh yeah, you probably want 3, but your favorite Warez channel only has some half assed version 2.02 for about 2 years running now.

Damn it, how are the college kids with no money supposed to learn the latest technologies? OMGz the world is SOOO unfair!!! You capitolists only care about your own wallets. WHAT ABOUT MEEEE!!! GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!! IT"S ALL MINE I SAY!!!!

SJ_Digriz wrote:It also seems to me that the people that bitch the most about dongles are the people who are pissed because they can't get the latest cracked version anymore.
Who are you talking about, and how do you know they are "warez" users?

I gave several reasons above why I abandoned my fully-paid for and registered legal copy of Cubase SX1 in favour of Tracktion when I swapped to a laptop. Did you read the points I made?

Most of the people I know who are "pissed" with dongles are schools who have suffered immense grief over lost, broken and stolen dongles.

SJ_Digriz wrote:It also seems to me that the people that bitch the most about dongles are the people who are pissed because they can't get the latest cracked version anymore.

I will never own a Waves product as long as they use PACE. So, if you don't like it, don't buy it. It's a pretty simple solution.

Oh yeah, you probably want 3, but your favorite Warez channel only has some half assed version 2.02 for about 2 years running now.

Damn it, how are the college kids with no money supposed to learn the latest technologies? OMGz the world is SOOO unfair!!! You capitolists only care about your own wallets. WHAT ABOUT MEEEE!!! GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!! IT"S ALL MINE I SAY!!!!
Well college kids may be a bad arguement since Cubase is available at academic pricing... Justify the dongle how you may- I prefer a company that trusts me to be a responsible user. The problem is that everyone has different needs, so saying that I dislike the dongle because I wouldnt have future access to a crack is not only false, but is also a sweeping generalization. Granted- if you dont have anything to hide, then the dongle shouldnt be much of an inconvenience. Some people may prefer it. I, however prefer a S/N. I am bad at keeping track of things, and if I take my laptop out in public, I dont want to have to worry about losing the dongle. In the end I just want software that works, and If I PAID FOR IT, why should I jump through hoops? There are dishonest people in this world, and no copy protection will ever fix that. Biznesses need to keep their customer base happy, which is best copy protection their is...

headquest wrote:
Who are you talking about, and how do you know they are "warez" users?

I gave several reasons above why I abandoned my fully-paid for and registered legal copy of Cubase SX1 in favour of Tracktion when I swapped to a laptop. Did you read the points I made?

Most of the people I know who are "pissed" with dongles are schools who have suffered immense grief over lost, broken and stolen dongles.
I said MOST,not all. There are situations where they are not convenient. Just because they are not convenient doesn't mean they aren't necessary.

{edit-and my comments were mostly based on the rediculous first post, not necessarily some of the replies that might agree with some of the principles}

Schools...lol. Don't get me started.

Anyhow, enjoy Tracktion. See you made a choice. It doesn't take whining, hand wringing or dog kicking.

S_A_P wrote:
Well college kids may be a bad arguement since Cubase is available at academic pricing...
err...that bottom part about college kids was irony. Read it as meaning it's BS. Because of Academic pricing, schools with labs et...it's one of the dumbest arguments for cracks ever used.

Anyhow, saying that companies shouldn't do whatever they can to protect their property is rediculous. Again, if you don't like dongles use something else.

I also have no isses with my dongle :hihi:

It has always worked, used it many times on macs n pc's with SX2 and SX3

I agree it is less convenent than a serial number but its what Steinberg wanna do to stop the haxx0rz

It seems to be werkin, thats gotta be good innit?

Well thats my 2p....

Return to “Instruments”