B4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2002. Is there any possibility for me to change the drawbars setting (in Native Instruments B4) during the playback (I mean: can I 'record' these changes)? Hope you'll understand my English.
Take care...

Since you can control them from external midi controllers I think you can, at least using an external controller and just record these midi CCs in realtime.

And you can of course use a patch change as well within a track to change your sound.

CC12->CC20 is upper manual drawbars.
CC21->CC29 is lower manual drawbars.
CC33->CC38 is pedal drawbars.

Neither above need automation features themselves. For just changing drawbar internally there need to be a send of each change in a drawbar in a way that automation recording can receive. I'm not so sure B4 supports that. Manual does not state automation features. But there is a dump feature where all settings of current patch is sent on midi out. This you can record as Midi Sysex messages and then send at any time on a track(a little depending on hosting software).

Latest version 1.1.1 that I have is a program file dated Aug 2000, and I don't know how common automation was then. And you would need a hosting software that supports automation on midi CCs.

Bigger chance that later products like the recently reduced versions of a selection of keyboards in a package have full automation support.

I think you will do just fine with normal CC recording. I got an Evolution UC33e controller which has a ready patch with full support for just about every aspect of programming sounds on the B4. These controllers come in handy in many other ways too.

I use n-Track, not Cakewalk/SONAR. However, with n-Track, all I have to do is adjust the controllers as the track plays (with MIDI record enabled on the track), and it works -- the control adjustments on the NIB4 GUI get recorded on that track.

I really like to work this way, mostly just playing at first, and then adding leslie speed, drawbar, percussion, scanner, and expression pedal changes afterwards.

Anyway, this proves that the VSTi is capable of sending the control changes. (Oh, maybe it doesn't work using the DX plugin -- never tried it.) I suppose I can try that and get back to you -- or does Cakewalk support VST now? Hopefully, there's a way you can plumb things up for this to work in Cakewalk, since NIB4 is capable.

learjeff wrote:I use n-Track, not Cakewalk/SONAR. However, with n-Track, all I have to do is adjust the controllers as the track plays (with MIDI record enabled on the track), and it works -- the control adjustments on the NIB4 GUI get recorded on that track.

I really like to work this way, mostly just playing at first, and then adding leslie speed, drawbar, percussion, scanner, and expression pedal changes afterwards.

Anyway, this proves that the VSTi is capable of sending the control changes. (Oh, maybe it doesn't work using the DX plugin -- never tried it.) I suppose I can try that and get back to you -- or does Cakewalk support VST now? Hopefully, there's a way you can plumb things up for this to work in Cakewalk, since NIB4 is capable.
You can run VSTi just as smoothly in Sonar nowadays. But I think DXi is capable to do that also(but not sure).

Nice that this is recorded too, even without external controller.

Cool tip to do the leslie stuff later. Especially with both hands playing and also time the leslie on/off perfectly is difficult.

Yes I tried to change the drawbars settings while I'm recording, becouse on the demo midi files which are supported with the B4 software I noticed one 'control track' which do not contains any midi notes. Anyway I was making funny things with the drawbars but it didn't make any changes...

Return to “Instruments”