The new Xpress-Keys presets for FM7, Pro53, and B4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone heard the new presets? Do they add any value, or is it just more of the same?

Am I the only one here that likes Xpress Keys ?

pummel wrote:Am I the only one here that likes Xpress Keys ?
I don't dislike them - I just have no use for them.
- I have more VA's than I can shake a stick at, and some (z3ta+, Albino, and Synth1 come to mind right away) have literally over a thousand patches.
- If I want FM, I have Rhino, so I don't need what amounts to an "FM Rompler" (although it may be more CPU-efficient).
- I have the full B-4, as well as two vintage Hammonds in my dining room.

Now... if I didn't have Hammond experience and just wanted some good Hammond sounds, I'd look at B-4 express.... particularly if I didn't want to deal with drawbars on the comparably-priced DaOrgan.

Some people say that 32 or 64 presets for a Hammond clone isn't enough, but I use AT MOST half-a-dozen drawbar settings, and a couple of the presets wired into the organ. If NI picked "the good ones", then 32 or 64 is enough, IMHO.

Doug
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

I have FM7 Express, but somewhat to my surprise I haven't actually used it in a tune yet.

I was wondering about the new presets myself.

I bought the bundle when it first appeared. I don't need the full plugs (Pro53 I can replace with Pentagon, FM7 with Sytrus, and B4 with NUBI) but like some of the classic presets so thought these might be worthwhile.

I haven't got the new sounds yet, but I did download the free addon banks and wasn't exactly blown away. I like the efficiency of these plugs, and the sound quality is great of course, but I'm not too impressed by the tightfisted way Native dole out the presets - I mean, pocket money prices sure, but banks of 64 presets?!? C'mon :?

I like these as low CPU, quality romplers -- backing to bounce the CPU hogs off. Granted, I wish I could afford the full synths; but these are a decent compromise. In general, one might conclude that 32/64 presets is not enough to justify their cost; especially with gems like Linplug Alpha available. However, in this case the low preset count might be considered an advantage; NI did us the favor of separating the oats from the horse shit. I feel the included presets cover most of the useful sonic ground (as judging by the demos of the same synths).

Hence my question. In this instance, is more better?

Actually, what I would pay for is another adjustment knob or two; not sure about more presets.

XDVarenkor wrote:I haven't got the new sounds yet, but I did download the free addon banks and wasn't exactly blown away.
Never heard about these "free add-on banks", and can't find them on the site ... can anyone help?
Thanks!

There are not free add-on banks...they cost $10 each and add another 32 presets for B4, and 64 presets for the other two. You can find the downloads in the NI shop.

My .02 is that the presets for the FM7 Xpress are great. B4 could have used 64 rather than 32. For $79 for the trio at audiomidi it's a solid buy.

pummel wrote:However, in this case the low preset count might be considered an advantage; NI did us the favor of separating the oats from the horse shit. I feel the included presets cover most of the useful sonic ground (as judging by the demos of the same synths).
It really depends on what you're going to use those sounds for though, and what you have on hand already. I'd have loved to see LatelyBass for FM7 Xpress for instance, but instead there are a bunch of organ presets that many other synths do as well or better.

i know there were some freebies because i got them.....i got my express package on the acidpro5 disc, i think after registering i got an email with links....i couldn't find it just now at the site.
i'd rather have a mullet than a comb-over.
fortunately, i have neither.

uncadave wrote:i know there were some freebies because i got them.....i got my express package on the acidpro5 disc, i think after registering i got an email with links....i couldn't find it just now at the site.
I believe that deal was only for those of us that go it with Acid5Pro. They gave out a few extra patches for each Xpress keyboard (16 for XFM, 16 for X53, and 8 for XB4). They arent really anything special as far as I have noticed...but I havent gone through them too much yet either.

I think with all the addon pay sets I would probably rather save my money and buy the full VSTs first...sure they are only a few bucks...but then you add them all up...and add in the lack of tweakability. I have some free/low cost options right now that cover alot of the same area but I would rahter have the full VSTs...especialy FM7 (I have Sytris but I miss my old TX802 and its sounds and it just doesnt compaire) and having a good hammond by ways of B4 would be wonderfull too....not too sure about Pro-53 though...

Return to “Instruments”