Minimonsta reviews for those who are awaiting download...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kingston wrote:
The labels are very hard to read and, because they are all the same size/weight, everything blends into everything else.
Everybody complained about this ever since the first screenshots came out. Makes you wonder why the hell it wasn't addressed...
I very much agree with this. In general IMHO the GUI could be a lot better.

Cheers!
bManic

bmanic wrote:
Kingston wrote:
The labels are very hard to read and, because they are all the same size/weight, everything blends into everything else.
Everybody complained about this ever since the first screenshots came out. Makes you wonder why the hell it wasn't addressed...

Cheers!
bManic
Yet strangely enough it didn't seem to bother the sound developers who worked with it for 4 months from alpha right thru to finished product and they still managed to pull out one of the best libraries released for a vsti, strange that eh? :wink:

Dave Blakely wrote:I think a lot of people have idealised versions of synths in their heads the way they imagine they should sound, often straight outta the box most analogues are flat boring and run of the mill, its how they are recorded that imortalises the sound in our subconcious.

The Pro53 is and was an amazing piece of software and was badly programmed right from the start, the NI libraries that came with it did nothing to show the plug in a good light, which is a shame coz its a belter of a synth and could still stand up against the best of modern day vsti's.
I know what you mean this happens with other instruments too. Years ago I couldn't tell a difference between a tube and transistor amp or an Epiphone and Gibson Les Paul. When I first bought my real analogues I didn't notice the fuss until later. It's something you get used to and develop with time spent with the instrument. Even non related things like going to a progressive scan tv image. I could not tell a difference from my old tv but now my eyes instantly spot those annoying lines. It's when you take the step back that you take notice, as long as you take a while before taking the step back of course...
L8ter Oscill8ters!

Dave Blakely wrote:
bmanic wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Cheers!
bManic
Yet strangely enough it didn't seem to bother the sound developers who worked with it for 4 months from alpha right thru to finished product and they still managed to pull out one of the best libraries released for a vsti, strange that eh? :wink:
This IS strange indeed.. but maybe they were too distracted by the wonderful sound? :D

Cheers!
bManic

Maybe time to throw in some noodling ( bear with me ) done on Minimax , recorded at 44.1/16 and fully dry, using just pitchbend, modwheel, aftertouch and mouse action on knobs.
My site may ( or not ) take a break at the end of the month so DL now ...

sounds like a digital synth Nuance. Then again, so does the Minmonsta.

I never owned a Minimoog and don't plan to so I can't judge, Minimax just makes my days big time that's all.
Gotta go ... later

dude I wasnt ripping on it. It's ahell of a sound. Just not like a real moog, that's all. But that's not a surprise seeing as im nt impressed by any of the moog emulations.

here a few minutes of freaking with minimonsta using the filterfeedback in extreme mode.....don't know if this sounds like a hardware mini using filterfeedback but to me the sound sounds really alive with all the strange sounds fading in and out....

http://www.expansions.nl/filez/minimonsta-freak.mp3

Nuisances Sonores wrote:Maybe time to throw in some noodling ( bear with me ) done on Minimax , recorded at 44.1/16 and fully dry, using just pitchbend, modwheel, aftertouch and mouse action on knobs.
My site may ( or not ) take a break at the end of the month so DL now ...
The Creamware stuff really does sound superb. It wasn't worth the extra hassle over native for me, but their stuff is outstanding.

Oh my freakin God.

:o

That is all for now...

The minimonsta is amazing - there are a number of presets in the demo that give me goosebumps because they really capture sounds from analog synths I've had, not just Moogs, but Korgs and Arps too. There's a certain complexity that makes the monsta sound like hardware (the Korg Poly 6 and MS-20 emulations strike me the same way). My Arturia synths sound great, but they don't have the same authentic, nostalgic WOW factor for me.

I complained when I first saw the screenshots of the minimonsta, and I do wish they had listened to people's objections - I think it is a bit ugly and a strain to read. I love beautiful interfaces and I'm really disappointed that my favorite new plugins aren't nicer to look at - the other being Hydratone. I've ordered both minimonsta and Hydratone anyway because they sound too wonderful to pass up!

So congratulations to gforce - and ship the monsta asap!

This is the biggest, fattest, most badass soft synth I've ever played. And I love the GUI. It's surprising there's people here complaining about the GUI. It's different, so it will take some getting used to. But it looks very cool to me.
Even if it looked lame, it would still kick ass...bigtime.

Return to “Instruments”